Ride Routes: Western Cape's famed Four Passes

Bike Hub Features

If you have been around the Western Cape road riding scene for a while the chances are you have heard about the Four Passes route. Or perhaps you have already ridden it and experienced one of the Cape’s best road bike loops. If not, hopefully this article will give you some good insight into what is one of my favourite routes.

View full article

When going through Somerset West I would recommend riding through somerset west main road / old sir lowry's road past Vergelegen Medi-clinic and then turning onto Mondeor road. This will allow you to miss a big part of the N2.
https://www.strava.com/routes/23657763

Ride in a big group and early with lights on at Sir Lowry's. Once you reach Grabouw turnoff you are home free.

43 minutes ago, Frederick87 said:

When going through Somerset West I would recommend riding through somerset west main road / old sir lowry's road past Vergelegen Medi-clinic and then turning onto Mondeor road. This will allow you to miss a big part of the N2.
https://www.strava.com/routes/23657763

Ride in a big group and early with lights on at Sir Lowry's. Once you reach Grabouw turnoff you are home free.

And avoid the windy days, it’s crazy how the South Easter affects both the bike and the cars up there… 

Much better way of addressing the issue of the sponsor content. Well done, now we should at least all click on the link to make the sponsor happy. 

Edited by TDFN

17 minutes ago, copperhead said:

I see some of this route is on the N2. Not in my life would I ride that section. 

I rode it once. Also never again. Drove up Sir Lowry's last weekend at 6:45am and thought, hell this is madness on a bike.

Beautiful route otherwise.

Iconic route amongst us older WC riders, used to always be our prep route for the D/C back in the day. Back then we could safely cycle through SLP Village and come out at the corner halfway up SLP. Always keep an eye on the wind when going over the top. We had a very bad experience on that pass where the wind actually blew our bikes out from under us, forcing us to walk hunched over pushing the bike to try reduce wind drag. It the first time I've actually been scared of wind ☠️

Other than that, it really is an amazing route and well worth a crack ????

Off topic but related to iconic passes. Is Bainskloof not allowing cyclists up & over at all? I would like to head out from Paarl via Tulbach out, & route back over Bains if possible.

5 minutes ago, copperhead said:

Closed as far as I know. Tried to go up there about 2 months ago. No go. No one allowed unless things have changed 

Tx. Will make it an out and back then bypassing Hermon

Did this ride earlier this year - as a normie, it was the longest ride done for me, but was brilliant. The motos coming up Franschoek Pass nearly deafened me, the asses, but otherwise a spectacular drive. We were sound of mind enough to get a friend to drive a support car behind us for the n2 stretch out of Somerset West and up SLP, to Grabouw. After that he played feeding station. Was perfect! Would i do it without the vehicle? Not likely unless in a big group... 

flame suit on

I think this is a stupid route and puts cyclist in unnecessary danger (specifically the N2 section) 

i know this route is an icon and held in reverence among local riders but I can easily map out alternative and equally epic routes that are much safer.

We could argue that all routes should be made safe for cyclist yes but thats not the world we live in.

Edited by YaseenEnos

8 minutes ago, ouzo said:

The way you capetonians go on about safety on routes makes me think it’s safer to ride my bike up here in GP than down there. 

Sir Lowry's Pass "cycling lane" is predominantly occupied by the following groups:

• 18 wheelers with no F*cks given
  • Slow cherries spewing smoke
  • Okes on their mobiles checking the latest WhatsApp group chat
  • Taxis taking the inside
  • NO CYCLIST in their right mind...ever....

So Ja I reckon any route in GP would be safer than this one....

Besides, not mentioned here, last I heard, cyclists are not allowed on freeways like the M3, M5, N1 and N2 in and near Cape Town...true/not true?

The MTB Four Passes route is worth doing just for the trails by Grabouw. 

And you miss the dodgy part on the N2 ????

13 hours ago, capediver said:

Sir Lowry's Pass "cycling lane" is predominantly occupied by the following groups:

• 18 wheelers with no F*cks given
  • Slow cherries spewing smoke
  • Okes on their mobiles checking the latest WhatsApp group chat
  • Taxis taking the inside
  • NO CYCLIST in their right mind...ever....

So Ja I reckon any route in GP would be safer than this one....

Besides, not mentioned here, last I heard, cyclists are not allowed on freeways like the M3, M5, N1 and N2 in and near Cape Town...true/not true?

Its not just this thread though, it gets mentioned often enough in other threads to.

But, on your points above, no different to GP (if we look past the freeway argument)