Raw Aluminium Finish

thijsrm

Hey Guys,

Looking for the best and most economical way to strip paint on on old hardtail and convert it into a raw aluminium finish?

First prize would be to send it in somewhere (maybe sandblasting?) and second prize would be DIY.

Any advice?

Thanks

Paint stripper does wonders, alternatively any powder coating company has an acid bath that remove paint like almost immediately.

My advice would be to take it to a blasting company and have it Vapour Blasted or alternatively blasted with aluminum oxide. Then get ready to do the hard work.

DO NOT use any kind of blasting on aluminium.

It will leave a dull surface which you are going to struggle to remove.

I am a great believer of Plascon's "RemovAll" - use as per the instructions.

You can even apply it with your bare hands rather use a brush tough.

I knew a guy who had a cannondale with this finish on it. 

Worst thing I have ever seen. You just looked at it and it had fingerprints on it. Honestly, you simply could not keep that bike clean.]

13 hours ago, porqui said:

DO NOT use any kind of blasting on aluminium.

It will leave a dull surface which you are going to struggle to remove.

I am a great believer of Plascon's "RemovAll" - use as per the instructions.

You can even apply it with your bare hands rather use a brush tough.

I don't think you get RemoveAll anymore. I've been looking for it for ages.

Thanks, I would probably like to send it in so a 'professional' can do it.  Any suggestions?  Perhaps a carbon repair workshop could do it easily.  I'm in a sectional title so I don't have much space to be stripping paint.

15 minutes ago, Trevz said:

Can you not apply a clear coat to the bare aluminum afterwards to prevent having to continuously clean up fingerprints etc. ?

images.jpg.88dbbdd34cafc4d46d398984305bda1d.jpg

did exactly that on 3 different frames, spraycan clearcoat rubs off after a few months, so best to get a 2k-2 part clearcoat for cars if you plan to seal it,  2 bikes ive done with the rustoleum for refrencewkwd9gxg95861.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=bc020625f54093ec2c2401ab09451851f2e6d181Post image

Edited by Mongooser

Car Mag aluminium polish should work well. You can also use toothpaste to clean and polish. Use a cloth dab and then gently rub in. Rinse off with warm water.

Autosol is any raw aluminium frame's best friend.

For the frames  i did I used  a green 3m pad and WD40 for the initial polish, and then autosol to finish it off.

If you want to clear coat, ou will need to use a self etching 2k clear coat. rattlecan won't be durable enough.

1824-2.jpg

I did this to my Trek Roscoe about 8 months ago. Used the Duram paint stripper mentioned above and autosol polish. All in it was about 16 hours of labour. Definitely worth it.

Before and after pics, with a few components changes.

Before.jpg

Now.jpg

Edited by Fleming