Reinserting a saddle rail which popped out

Bjorn881

As the title states, I have searched other forums but can't seem to find a solution. Before chucking out my Spez Phenom saddle, has anyone found a reliable method to reinsert a rail back into a saddle that has popped out? 

IMG_20210725_145143.jpg

IMG_20210725_145128.jpg

I have had the same issue but with carbon rails. Tried to force it back in but ended up cracking the shell (also carbon)

I'd suggest heating the seat shell with boiling water or something that won't permanently deform the plastic. When the shell is soft enough to bend then try and pop the rail back in. If you try to bend the rail you will most likely sit with a skew saddle and endless back pain. So rather try and manipulate the shell.

Goodluck!

Guys on youtube make some interesting jigs and levers to get those rails back in place. I gave it a try once on a seat and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I've done it on 2 Spez saddles. Once you get the knack of it it's not difficult. Stand the saddle in the sun, with the underside facing the sun for an hour or 2 (makes the shell more malleable). Grab the largest flat screwdriver you can find. Then kind of jam the screwdriver between the end of the rail and the socket, and gently push and coax the rail down the face of the screwdriver until it lines up with the socket. As you ease the screwdriver out the rail will pop into the socket. It may take a few attempts until you get it right. Also helps if you can secure the narrow part of the shell of the seat (not the rails) to a board or plank.

As a side note, every time I've seen rails pop is when a bike has been standing in the sun for a while. Seems to make the shells go too soft. Might just be a coincidence though...

How is the front of the rail secured in? Is it also popped in? or possibly a cover that is easily removed? I had a saddle many years ago where the rail was easily removed by taking a cover off under the nose and the rail just slide out from the back. 

11 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

How is the front of the rail secured in? Is it also popped in? or possibly a cover that is easily removed? I had a saddle many years ago where the rail was easily removed by taking a cover off under the nose and the rail just slide out from the back. 

So like this, that little cap can be un-screwed and removed.

Capture1.JPG

8 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

How did it "pop" out?

Anyway, the correct fix here is a roll of duct tape.

and if that doesnt work then you did not use enough duct tape

image.jpeg.3af895170b2f6d9107fa4699a82a7e66.jpeg

Edited by ouzo

know someone who lost a nut after fixing a broken rail that popped out like this.  on a tricky section of Eden Forest, sat down, popped out and he moved and it ripped through the short / bibs and took off his sack.

that alone stops me even thinking of fixing a broken saddle. LOL

Good luck.