Body Armour

Adr!@n

So, I've got something that's been bugging me for a while. 

I've been riding with knee pads for a couple of years now. I wear them on just about every single ride, expect for maybe the most pedally and non-tech rides. I fall a lot, like half my rides I go down and at least once. I don't think I lack skill, but I like going fast and trying something new every ride so most cases it's a 50/50. I've broken 2 bones - a finger and a scaphoid, neither which would have survived with any other armour.

Now here's the thing. I'm religious about wearing something on my knees, because it's the one part of my body that always seems to take a knock or scrape when I go down and it's uncomfortable pedalling with a knee injury (be it a bruise or scrape). So I wear a sort of mid range trail friendly kneepad (Scott Soldier 2) - it's decently comfortable and has a safety rating and a D30 knee pad. But I'm in the market for new pads - so I'm looking for the most comfortable and lightweight pad I can find. 

But this has got me thinking. Why am I even thinking about safety rating and D30?? And why do people choose to ride pads with a hard shell?

I don't wear any other kind of body armour (except I have a full-face helmet with removable chin guard) and most people I know also ride with kneepads only - no back protector, no neck brace, no full face helmet (even for trails that should probably need it) << these are the kinds of things I don't want to get hurt - my neck, my back and sure as hell don't want to break my jaw or lose teeth.

So, should I really be worried about not have the highest safety rating for my knees when the rest of my body is exposed? 

I think you pretty much answered your own question in your post:

"Now here's the thing. I'm religious about wearing something on my knees, because it's the one part of my body that always seems to take a knock or scrape when I go down"

if you always falling on your knees, it makes sense to make sure they're well protected. 

2 minutes ago, kk6gan said:

I think you pretty much answered your own question in your post:

It doesn't answer my question, I'm always going to be riding with something on my knees, but I'm asking if it should be proper DH pads with hard shell protectors? Is overkill underrated to me? 

In my opinion, if you always taking hits to the knees, protect them as well as you can. You only get one set and, in my experience, they are costly to repair and are not usually the same after.

However, in saying that, I ride with soft shells.....really only you can decide if the added weight and possible discomfort of hard shells is worth it.

If I had the cash, I would definitely get one of those POC spine protectors though.

I know, not a very helpful response

**edited spelling

Edited by kk6gan

Hardshell kneepads stops the twigs from piercing into your knee. Its a matter of choice/preference as well as comfort and fit. The same goes for full face helmets. Although you could opt for a convertible one.

Most people dont ride with other armour. At most possibly elbow guards. I hardly use mine. It also depends are you pushing limits every single ride trying to be like Minaar? then get the armour suited. I armour up when we have shuttle days.