Need help - lost hub pawl

travisza

Last night I realised that one of the pawls in my hub is missing. (XD Driver hub).

I'm not sure how long its been missing as the cassette (and hub) does have a habbit of sliding off the axle if gravity allows it. I've never thought to double check all the pawls were still there before putting it back on.

Last night when it fell of I noticed one of the pawls come free and so I reinstalled it, and then realised another was missing. Despite many frantic minutes on my hands and knees scouring the floor with a cellphone torch I couldn;t find it.

Whats the solution? Do I need to buy a complete new hub or can I find spares?

IMG_20210803_071827.jpg

arent rapide the 'stans' ones? Lyne's are the Chosen ones. not 100% sure. 

Edited by MORNE

15 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Not sure about rapide, but I'm fairly certain Lyne uses Chosen hubs.

Also looks like is says "cho" and "sen" on the freehub.

@travisza If it's a chosen freehub, email the dudes at Lyne. Their customer service is on point, so they should be able to help you out

Edited by Mountain Bru

2 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

@travisza If it's a chosen freehub, email the dudes at Lyne. Their customer service is on point, so they should be able to help you out

You are indeed correct:

"Lyne JB01 hubs are made by Chosen and are lightweight, serviceable and reliable."

Source:

am I the only one questioning how a hub and cassette are sliding off an axle on their own ? 

Someone educate me, should there not be some sort of locking mechanism to keep it in place ?

28 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Rapide are novatech im 90% sure 

27 minutes ago, ouzo said:

am I the only one questioning how a hub and cassette are sliding off an axle on their own ? 

Someone educate me, should there not be some sort of locking mechanism to keep it in place ?

Please let me know! Its hellava annoying. Perhaps I'm missing a lock ring.

35 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Thanks will try

26 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Some do and some don't. I have a Bontrager Rapid Drive hub and the driver body and end cap just slip on and off without any locking mechanism. I would assume this one is similar. It's not a problem while the wheel is on the bike. It could be a problem if you take the wheel off and face the the cassette side downward.

4 minutes ago, HenryS said:

Some do and some don't. I have a Bontrager Rapid Drive hub and the driver body and end cap just slip on and off without any locking mechanism. I would assume this one is similar. It's not a problem while the wheel is on the bike. It could be a problem if you take the wheel off and face the the cassette side downward.

thanks, did not know that.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Stans = Lyne JB01 = Chosen.

55 minutes ago, ouzo said:

The drive side end cap on these hubs should thread on to the axle, so something's not lekker here.

OP - see here for reassembly instructions, if the threads don't engage get yourself a new axle and end cap while you're about it.

While we're talking about this, I want to service my freehub, which is also on a Lyne JB01, so I expect it's the same even though it's a microspline one. What lube would you guys recommend once everything is nice and clean? (looking for a brand/product, not just "lightweight grease")

Edited by Mountain Bru

If you have access to it use sram butter. For me there's nothing better. I've found that the thicker greases make the pawls sticky. So practical any tub of grease other than "suspension" grease won't work as well as you'd want it to.

I have also used finishline wet lube as pawl lubrication during a stage-race-bike-park-service. Everything ran smoothly so I guess it worked????

9 hours ago, travisza said:

Last night I realised that one of the pawls in my hub is missing. (XD Driver hub).

I'm not sure how long its been missing as the cassette (and hub) does have a habbit of sliding off the axle if gravity allows it. I've never thought to double check all the pawls were still there before putting it back on.

Last night when it fell of I noticed one of the pawls come free and so I reinstalled it, and then realised another was missing. Despite many frantic minutes on my hands and knees scouring the floor with a cellphone torch I couldn;t find it.

Whats the solution? Do I need to buy a complete new hub or can I find spares?

IMG_20210803_071827.jpg

Had this happen on a brand new Stans Neo hub. Managed to find the pawls but lost the spacer washer.

Notubes (Stans) sell all manner of spares and ship globally, so I bought said spacer and some spare pawls just in case.

Here are the Neo Pawl kits

https://www.notubes.com/kit-neo-spring-and-pawl-6pc

First prize is to get the specific spares. Second is a replacement free-hub body.

6 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

While we're talking about this, I want to service my freehub, which is also on a Lyne JB01, so I expect it's the same even though it's a microspline one. What lube would you guys recommend once everything is nice and clean? (looking for a brand/product, not just "lightweight grease")

Id think a tub of Castrol,Mutol,Mobil or whatever lithium bearing grease you can buy from builders or midas for R75 would be just fine for that application. Its made for bearings and not too thick or sticky. More like the consistency of custard. 

Edited by MORNE