Brooks saddle rail repair

Sepia

IMHO I would go for a lazer weld as suggested earlier and then see if the balance is maintained. 

You can import a new rail but you would then also need to import new rivets to re-attach the leather seat.

May be cheaper to buy another saddle. They often come up for sale. 

Looks like a Professional? I have a couple, great saddles.

2 minutes ago, Loose cog said:

Looks like a Professional? I have a couple, great saddles.

You know your saddles!  Yes, it is a Professional S.  Not selling one of yours then????

Try Keith Clayton welding in Pinetown. As regards welding if he can't do it, I would say it can't be done.

9 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Try Keith Clayton welding in Pinetown. As regards welding if he can't do it, I would say it can't be done.

Yes, I agree.  I dropped it off with him last Thursday and he said he would see what he can do.

thanks for the heads up.  

Edited by Sepia

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread.  Yesterday, I made the disappointing discovery that one of the rails on my B17 saddle had broken.  On closer inspection, the other one also turned out to be nearly cracked through.  I spent the day mentally composing a nasty letter to Brookes about their quality escape, to use Boeing-speak.  Today I sat down and did the actual calculations, fully expecting the result to be failure at pathetically low stress.  Well, no.  Turns out that it failed pretty much on schedule, given the load (105 kg rider), saddle placement and the estimated number of fatigue cycles.  So the lesson is, if you are this sort of size, position the rails slap bang in the middle of the possible range,  Don't mess around at the limit.  Mine was as far back as it could go.

So next question, has anybody found a way of getting replacement rails for a B17 that does not involve an ox wagon from England?

IMG_20240130_195733~2.jpg

On 8/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, Sepia said:

Thanks Dusty, Rabubi.

Have spoke to Dave as Droo suggested and am waiting on a recommendation from him.

Unfortunately I find this saddle the best I have ever used by a large margin and I have tried most including the Freedom Saddle.

This Brooks just does it for me.  My second choice is a Rolls which I have fitted on the interim and was happy with it until I discovered Brooks.  It feels like I am riding on a brick now and should I get a new one, it will still have to be worn in.

If nothing happens I may just try my welding skills and slide a ferrule of sorts over the welded bit.

Heart breaking pic attached. 

IMG_20210804_123834.jpg

For Safety's SAKE Buy a New Saddle.

1 hour ago, CapSizer said:

Reviving this thread.  Yesterday, I made the disappointing discovery that one of the rails on my B17 saddle had broken.  On closer inspection, the other one also turned out to be nearly cracked through.  I spent the day mentally composing a nasty letter to Brookes about their quality escape, to use Boeing-speak.  Today I sat down and did the actual calculations, fully expecting the result to be failure at pathetically low stress.  Well, no.  Turns out that it failed pretty much on schedule, given the load (105 kg rider), saddle placement and the estimated number of fatigue cycles.  So the lesson is, if you are this sort of size, position the rails slap bang in the middle of the possible range,  Don't mess around at the limit.  Mine was as far back as it could go.

So next question, has anybody found a way of getting replacement rails for a B17 that does not involve an ox wagon from England?

IMG_20240130_195733~2.jpg

Ive read that they can also snap if the leather tension is too low. So too flexy. New rails from Brooks England look like about £35. Considering what they cost new, but more importantly i guess - how long it takes to get these to break in to the perfect shape for your specific butt - maybe R800 ish isnt that bad. But i’d be inclined to ask a Dave Mercer or similar if this could be welded first. Worth a try. Those are just chromoly aren't they? 

Also, get in touch with David from everyday cycle supply. He brings them in. Maybe he can chuck a spare in a order next time.

https://everydaycyclesupplyco.com/collections/brooks-england

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

But i’d be inclined to ask a Dave Mercer or similar if this could be welded first. Worth a try. Those are just chromoly aren't they? 

Also, get in touch with David from everyday cycle supply. He brings them in. Maybe he can chuck a spare in a order next time.

https://everydaycyclesupplyco.com/collections/brooks-england

Thanks, I will try everyday! 

I won't try to get it welded. It failed without being heat-affected from welding, so I can't see it being strong enough after welding. It's not as if you can extra material there to make up for that. 

I've been down this road. Importing a set of rails was just too much of a schlepp.

Keep an eye open on the classifieds and perhaps put out a wanted add yourself. They don't work for everyone so lots of people have one sitting in a cupboard somewhere.

Keith Clayton in Pinetown welded mine and it has been over a year now.  Well worth a decent weld job.  Definitely!

Edited by Sepia

2 hours ago, Sepia said:

Keith Clayton in Pinetown welded mine and it has been over a year now.  Well worth a decent weld job.  Definitely!

Thanks, good to know.  Maybe OK if the welded area is kept inside the clamp ...