Durban to Transkei Riding route

Hi there, 

My husband and I are looking to plan a multi-day trip from Durban to the Transkei... Does anyone have any experience here regarding routes (preferably off-road), where to stay along the way and if it is actually safe to do? 

Thanks!

Hi. I’m not overly familiar with the area, but I would personally have some safety concerns with pretty much any route in that area, especially doing an unsupported bike packing trip, which is what I seem to understand from your question. 

It’s pretty densely populated all the way from Durban to at least Port Shepstone.

In my mind a viable bike packing route into the Transkei is only really possible from Port sheptsone on wards. We have done an amazing trip into the Transkei starting from the wild coast sun at Port Edward. Check out http://www.singletrackadventures.co.za/big5explorer-option2/?month=feb&yr=2024 . I have no affiliation, but have done our trip through them, and it was amazing. Even if you want to do a self supported thing, I am sure they can provide some insight and so on, and could help you with accomodation bookings, especially the home stays, which are well worth it, but hard to arrange unless you know who to call…