Bottom bracket replacement

NickGM

I'm looking to replace the bottom bracket of an old mongoose mtb. OK well technically my old man is replacing it for a youngster in his dorpie, and he's asked me to find out what part he needs.

The BB in question is a Shimano BB-LP28, 68, BC1.37x24, 110mm square taper spindle. I've done a bit of reading and it looks like the LP28 was just a model number and the modern day equivalent is the UN series of shimano BBs. Something like this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-un26-square-taper-bottom-bracket/rp-prod34652

except, the spindle is 113mm in the above example. 

Does anybody know where I can find a local replacement?

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The old MTB's have a 73mm bb width so a 73mm and not a 68mm bb is needed.

This bike definitely needs a 68mm BB, so maybe not as old as I made it sound. 

call Nill's at Woodstock cycle works, or someone there. Use short concise sentences, if you go there maintain eye contact and dont let him wander ahaha. He most probably will have something. he's arguably bit of a mission to deal with sometimes (or i'm just too impatient haha), but he is very knowledgable about the older stuff. 

2 hours ago, NickGM said:

I'm looking to replace the bottom bracket of an old mongoose mtb. OK well technically my old man is replacing it for a youngster in his dorpie, and he's asked me to find out what part he needs.

The BB in question is a Shimano BB-LP28, 68, BC1.37x24, 110mm square taper spindle. I've done a bit of reading and it looks like the LP28 was just a model number and the modern day equivalent is the UN series of shimano BBs. Something like this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-un26-square-taper-bottom-bracket/rp-prod34652

except, the spindle is 113mm in the above example. 

Does anybody know where I can find a local replacement?

I have exactly what you're looking for. The code on the barrel says: BB7420 - BC1.37 x 24T L - 68 - R. Then on the one spindles it says: B110.5

20210805_132327.jpg

34 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I have exactly what you're looking for. The code on the barrel says: BB7420 - BC1.37 x 24T L - 68 - R. Then on the one spindles it says: B110.5

20210805_132327.jpg

Thanks robert! Will message you.

40 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/tourney-a070/BB-UN26.html

looks like the BB you're replacing is for a double chainring crankset

For interest sake what model Mongoose is this for as I'm not aware of a Mongoose MTB that came out with a double chainring crankset

It's a 3x9. I'll try get a pic. I think I've sourced a BB for it though.