What would you be willing to pay for a “grey” bike?

DonatelloOnPinarello

Looking to get some input or more opinions from you guys. Being serious cyclists, you guys have a reasonable idea of the price of thing, and what good value looks like, so your opinions would be much appreciated. 

So here is the scenario: We have an opportunity to import in very limited numbers, some trail bikes from a manufacturer that is not represented in South Africa at present. Because we will be making use of extra space in our airfreight shipments, we are able to bring them in very cheaply, essentially shipping at no charge. But, this would also mean a waiting time of 2 to 3 weeks from order to delivery at your door. 

Also, as mentioned the bikes will be grey/parallel imports. They do not have brand support locally. You will however be fully covered by their international warranty. This is a 5 year multi owner warranty, and applies worldwide. But you would be needing to deal directly with the manufacturer in Europe on warranty claims. Our business would assist with warranty claims as far as possible, especially if sending the frames back to the manufacturer is required etc, but we would carry no liability/responsibility in terms of the warranty.

There would be two options, an aggressive trail hardtail, and short travel (130-140mm) dual sus trail bike as well. Both options avaialble in 29er and 27.5 options.

The hardtail is specced as follows: Fox 34 With Rhythm Damper(130 on 29, 140 on 27.5), SLX 12 Speed, a brand x dropper, WTB 30mm Tubeless rims, and Schwalbe tubeless tires (Magic Mary/Hans Dampf combo - 2.6 on 27.5 and 2.4 on 29er), and Shimano Deore 4 piston brakes on 180mm rotors front and rear

Dual susser would have the same drivetrain and brake set up, but with a Marzochi bomber up front and RS Monarch rear (140mm front and rear on both the 29 and 27.5)

If we were to bring these in, it would be in limited numbers. We could do a maximum of 2 or 3 bikes per shipment, and to make it worth while, they would need to sell them around R40k for the hardtail, and R50k for the dual sus. Note this would be the price delivered to your door in RSA, and includes all taxes and vat. 

If you were in the market for a trail bike today, would you:

A. Be willing to wait three weeks for delivery?

B. Pay those sort of prices for a imported bike with no local dealer network.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a sizeable distribution company, we're official distributors for all of our products bar one which we parallel import, we offer a local warranty on these goods and I'm pretty sure this is a requirement in terms of the CPA but could be wrong, either way I feel it the right thing to do (offer local warranty)

Return shipping is almost never feasible particularly on something sizeable like a frameset, customs vat / duties on this sort of thing as an individual also gets complicated.

In most cases even if we still have a warranty with the vendor its often cheaper for us to write the item off and just replace the faulty unit at our own cost. The other consideration is that a return of this nature would most likely be weeks possibly even months.

I personally wouldn't buy a bike if warranty is not local regardless of the savings. 

Edited by jatho

19 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Firstly, what brand?

Component specs is one thing, but the frame is critical in this discussion. 

Agree, need more info on the frame please.

personally I wouldn't buy a bike with no local support. Can you imagine the time-frame involved in a warranty claim?

Sorry, I see jatho above mentioned the time issue.

24 minutes ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

SNIPPED...

If you were in the market for a trail bike today, would you:

A. Be willing to wait three weeks for delivery?

B. Pay those sort of prices for a imported bike with no local dealer network.

With conditions, such as the product should be from a well known brand

A. YES

B. YES

13 minutes ago, jatho said:

I run a sizeable distribution company, we're official distributors for all of our products bar one which we parallel import, we offer a local warranty on these goods and I'm pretty sure this is a requirement in terms of the CPA but could be wrong, either way I feel it the right thing to do (offer local warranty)

Return shipping is almost never feasible particularly on something sizeable like a frameset, customs vat / duties on this sort of thing as an individual also gets complicated.

In most cases even if we still have a warranty with the vendor its often cheaper for us to write the item off and just replace the faulty unit at our own cost. The other consideration is that a return of this nature would most likely be weeks possibly even months.

I personally wouldn't buy a bike if warranty is not local regardless of the savings. 

Thanks. This is interesting insight, and something worth looking into in more detail. I am sure we would probably be able to offer some kind of local support for warranty issues. But I would need to do my homework on this.

1 minute ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

Thanks. This is interesting insight, and something worth looking into in more detail. I am sure we would probably be able to offer some kind of local support for warranty issues. But I would need to do my homework on this.

As per the above post, have a look at the CPA, from what I know, you will need to offer a minimum of a certain time period warranty on the bikes. I know with cars its 6 months, not sure if the same applies to bikes

24 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Firstly, what brand?

Component specs is one thing, but the frame is critical in this discussion. 

I’m loath to mention that at this point in the discussion, as there are a number of hypotheticals that need to be addressed first.

Suffice to say they do have a number of riders competing in the EWS and UCI world cup - both XC and Downhill on their frames, and have a Continental World Tour Team as well on the road side. 

51 minutes ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

Looking to get some input or more opinions from you guys. Being serious cyclists, you guys have a reasonable idea of the price of thing, and what good value looks like, so your opinions would be much appreciated. 

Damnit... excluded.

Sad face.

24 minutes ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

I’m loath to mention that at this point in the discussion, as there are a number of hypotheticals that need to be addressed first.

Suffice to say they do have a number of riders competing in the EWS and UCI world cup - both XC and Downhill on their frames, and have a Continental World Tour Team as well on the road side. 

Do they make gravel bikes? I am looking for a frame...

13 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Then I am loath to comment on willingness to pay for a brand I do not know what it is yet.

Fully understand that, but this is just a hypothetical discussion at this point, to gauge what the kind of price point is that people are willing to pay for a mid spec trail bike from a non mainstream brand. Not wether you are interested in buying a specific bike. This is not an advertisement, just a discussion 

maybe is should frame the question to you differently: would you be willing to buy a grey import trail bike? If yes, what price range are you willing to pay for a grey import of a mid spec 140mm trail bike? 

Edited by DonatelloOnPinarello