What would you be willing to pay for a “grey” bike?

DonatelloOnPinarello

9 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Okes, the Ninja turtle on the Pina is in the Import/Export game, he knows the cost implications of the deal, I think th at's a moot point.

He is asking if you guys as serious cyclists would be interested in buying the bikes.

IMHO if he was able to land reasonably priced 'Frame Only' options he would have more success with the trail crowd as they tend to want Hope anodized bling and non standard components.

I imported a 2019 Vitus escarpe landed for under 10k 2 years ago. I swapped it for a Jeffsy locally with a fella as the bike was looooong and a lot of bike for me and he wanted such a thing for shuttle days.

I don't see the trail crowd buying into 'whole bikes' but I do see them buying into well priced frame only options if the frames are good. 

BUT, having seen Commencal, Dartmoor and a host of other companies try to break into that market segment and fail, I think it's better left alone.

If it were my money and effort I wouldn't touch it.

what this guy said☝️

depending on the price I would seriously consider a frame only option

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TNT1 said:

What impact would some "service" on a groupset have on the frame warranty? Surely the warranty on the frame, the gruppo and the wheels are separate things?

Do think a frame manufacturer will not a honour a warranty on a catastrophic frame failure because the chain was stretched?

Not "thinking" it .... confirmed in writing.

By both Scott and Giant.

YES ... utterly stupid, especially since their dealer workshops are totally incapable of resolving minor issues ... eventually took a video while riding to convince the importers to get involved .... still they made it put it in writing that the servicing must be done by one of their dealers.

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

My giant warranty claim for a cracked frame was processed quickly and honored with no questions asked.  That bike was ridden hard, had scratches and eas serviced by me. 

So my anecdotal sample of one says you need not stress about that. 

But this was done through my local, and not the shop you are inferring to. 

Jip, between the frame and the motor I will pay to keep the warrantee going another year or two ....

After corresponding with the importers the services are now done at another dealer .....

I'd be pretty interested to see what the specs are, personally I'd be more keen on frameset alone so I can build up to my specs. 

Be keen to hear which brands, theres so many goodies out there I've looked at but shipping is always my issue cause I'm an idiot with regards to that stuff haha

But lead time is all good...prices sound good too

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Jip, between the frame and the motor I will pay to keep the warrantee going another year or two ....

After corresponding with the importers the services are now done at another dealer .....

Ebike motors might be a different kettle of fish. 

But I've heard of Louis Knipe fixing a Giant ebike when the locals couldn't even diagnose it properly. 

So when you let the warranty go, you might be better off. 

12 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I imported a 2019 Vitus escarpe landed for under 10k 2 years ago. I swapped it for a Jeffsy locally with a fella as the bike was looooong

I dream of such even while this noob old git enjoys the thrill of slinging an old ‘dale HT down high-gradient valley and coastal paths and through rock gardens. I’ve got away with just a few scars.

12 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

...for under 10k 2 years ago...

That’s some downright wizardry right there, teach me. It’s a dank reference, but that's the one St Vitus Dance I’d love to do. Nah really, I want one.

6 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

I dream of such even while this noob old git enjoys the thrill of slinging an old ‘dale HT down high-gradient valley and coastal paths and through rock gardens. I’ve got away with just a few scars.

That’s some downright wizardry right there, teach me. It’s a dank reference, but that's the one St Vitus Dance I’d love to do. Nah really, I want one.

I was looking for something on ChainReaction and sae they had this Medium size Vitus Escarpe frame for sale going really cheap. I thought it was an error, but then it suddenly disappeared when I tried to find it again so I laughed it off as an acid throwback.

I then did the mental arithmetic that night of what it would have cost landed and thought 'Yoh, I should have pulled the trigger'..... Then the next morning I had a sneaky look over breakfast and voila! It was there, same price as it had been.

I pulled the trigger and it arrived 2 days later.

It was blind luck 

If this is Vitus they sponsored a Continental team not Pro Conti and they also folded about 8 or so months ago. 

On 8/5/2021 at 12:58 PM, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

I’m loath to mention that at this point in the discussion, as there are a number of hypotheticals that need to be addressed first.

Suffice to say they do have a number of riders competing in the EWS and UCI world cup - both XC and Downhill on their frames, and have a Continental World Tour Team as well on the road side. 

No such thing as Continental World Tour. It’s either Continental, Pro Continental or World Tour.

The team also folded as per my post above 

On 8/7/2021 at 3:48 PM, milky4130 said:

Canyon?

I was waiting for this name to pop up .At a weight of 100 kg without bike ,I tend to take frame quality serious .I had a Kona frame replaced under warranty without much drama .Quality tends to keep value also .So you pay a lot for new ,but get more at the sell also