Eleven cyclists run over in KZN, one killed

mikkelz

One cyclist was killed, and 10 others were injured when they were ploughed into by a car on the R102 Frasers, near Tongaat in KwaZulu-Natal on Saturday morning.

???? Condolences and R.I.P.

“It was reported that a vehicle had allegedly been overtaking several cars on a blind rise, when the vehicle struck a group of cyclists.

???? Asshole.

https://www.news24.com/witness/news/kzn/eleven-cyclists-run-over-in-kzn-one-killed-20210807

5 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

“It was reported that a vehicle had allegedly been overtaking several cars on a blind rise, when the vehicle struck a group of cyclists."

Condolences to family and friends and fellow cyclists who were involved. After having worked in EMS this still touches me, don’t have to imagine being in that carnage. Overtaking on blind rises happens far too often on many KZN and E Cape roads, am even more cautious on those roads than usual. RIP.

Condolences to the Families and GOD speed the others recovery…I hope the IDIOT that did this is locked up already ????????‍♂️

WTF man? HTF?

They have sign boards all over Denmark saying "use 2 more seconds" and every motorist (and cyclist) should do this - the consequences are too severe not to.

Condolences to all involved.

You cannot ride on a main road (outside of urban streets) in KZN, especially Durban and surrounds with any semblance of safety. 

The standard of driving in the 12 years I’ve lived in Durban has gone from bad to literally deadly. I am scared every day in my car.

I’m so sorry for everyone involved. 

I’m sorry if this offends anyone reading this. 

But if it makes ONE of you think twice about riding on a M or R road and keep to circuits or an urban ride then it’s worth it. 

Love to the families and friends involved. 

1 hour ago, andrew5336 said:

You cannot ride on a main road (outside of urban streets) in KZN, especially Durban and surrounds with any semblance of safety. 

The standard of driving in the 12 years I’ve lived in Durban has gone from bad to literally deadly. I am scared every day in my car.

But if it makes ONE of you think twice about riding on a M or R road and keep to circuits or an urban ride then it’s worth it. 

It’s the unfortunate reality it seems, even more disturbing is the comments from motorists on the articles I’ve read this morning where there is an absolute belief that it’s the cyclists fault and they didn’t have the right to be on the roads. Absolute lawlessness reigns everywhere. Best wishes for the injured and condolences for the deceased.

4 hours ago, Murrob said:

It’s the unfortunate reality it seems, even more disturbing is the comments from motorists on the articles I’ve read this morning where there is an absolute belief that it’s the cyclists fault and they didn’t have the right to be on the roads. Absolute lawlessness reigns everywhere. Best wishes for the injured and condolences for the deceased.

Crazy hey.

As a veteran in car vs cyclist.

I have been taken out 4 times.

Scary thing is that only one was on a road bike. 

3 times on a mtb.

Anyway. In each instance the following happened.

In one instance, the motorist stopped profusely  apologised  and took full responsibility for  his actions.  Kudos  Sir.

In one instance the driver fled the  scene.  He was later arrested  and the case progressed  until  he  passed away. 

And in two instances the motorist  blamed me for being  on the road. I was in the way of the car. I didnt belong in the road. One even issued summons  against me for damage to his pimped out Hi Lux.

Tragic - condolences.

More than once (whilst driving and cycling) I've had to take avoiding action from an on-coming car / van / truck on the wrong side of the road over the crest of a hill, avoiding certain death. This is not isolated. There is a culture of not giving a damn about other users of the road. This is connected with the culture of entitlement imo, although bad driving here spans the population at large.

Far too many people driving vehicles here have any or little respect or knowledge of the basic rules of the road, I see that every day around Jhb, Stopped cycling on the roads here a few years ago, after one too many NDE's,  knowing one day my luck will run out.  Be careful people. Always expect the worst from any vehicle approaching you. But its the one you don't see that will get you.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:26 AM, andrew5336 said:

I have noticed the same when i was there a year ago .I could not believe the places i found cyclists on tar roads