Best entry level watch for riding and running ?

Phillippe Coetzee

Hi all, I love to run and am new to cycling, what would be the best entry level watch that would do the job (Something with GPS) ? I just want to track how far I am going and at what speed etc..

Regards

Do you want to record the rides ?

OR, is the idea to SEE this data while riding ?  Not fun using a watch while riding a bike, not when you want to keep an eye on the data while riding.  Taking your hand off the bars to see the watch face, taking your eyes off the road/trail to read the data .... 

That said, I do use my watch to record my commutes, even some shorter rides.  BUT, then I dont bother looking at that data while riding.  Also the watch hart rate monitor is not nearly as accurate during these activities - when looking at a friend's Strava account I can see just from the data when she was using the watch to record her hart rate.

For speed and route data recording.... PERFECT.

I've used a Polar M200 (about 3yrs back), and now use a Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2. My wife uses a Apple Watch, and all these can do what you want - but battery life is better on the Samsung watch(over 4hrs of riding). You can also load music on these watches meaning you can ditch your phone when going for a run. The Garmin forerunner quoted is also a good option from what I've read.

1 hour ago, burger 555 said:

+1  on the Garmin forerunner 35. I use one and it shows all the data you could need. 2nd hand market is flooded with them. Around R1000-R1500 depending on age

Couple of shops now selling it for less than R2k, with warrantee ...

Mine was replaced after about 9 months, paid in got a watch with Garmin pay.  Have only used my bank card 4 or 5 times in the last 11 months.  Sadly these watches do cost a bit more though ...

5 hours ago, Charles71 said:

I've used a Polar M200 (about 3yrs back), and now use a Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2. My wife uses a Apple Watch, and all these can do what you want - but battery life is better on the Samsung watch(over 4hrs of riding). You can also load music on these watches meaning you can ditch your phone when going for a run. The Garmin forerunner quoted is also a good option from what I've read.

Will have a look at what the pricing is, thank you 

7 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Have a Look at the Garmin Forerunner 35

Does it have a cycling option or do I use the running option for the cycling ? 

4 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Does it have a cycling option or do I use the running option for the cycling ? 

It has a cycling option.

It has Walk, Run Outdoor, Run Indoor, Bike and Cardio as options.

AFAIK you can also connect up a separate heart rate monitor and cadence/speed sensors

For me, I'd get the Forerunner 45 over 35. Really good watch and can get it for cheaper now that the 55 just came out. The 35 looks outdated nowadays, the 45 has a nice colour screen. Also Firstbeat analytics on the 45 should give better heart rate data. 

7 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

For me, I'd get the Forerunner 45 over 35. Really good watch and can get it for cheaper now that the 55 just came out. The 35 looks outdated nowadays, the 45 has a nice colour screen. Also Firstbeat analytics on the 45 should give better heart rate data. 

Aint this the dilema of buying electronics .... :whistling:

The 45 IS a better watch than the 35, and depending on the special not that much more expensive .... but then for a "bit more" you can move on to the next tier of watches .... :ph34r: