Mini Mud Guards

Spafsack

41 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Just as a side note after that detailed explanation by Bru, these don't work that well on a rigid fork bike. They only really work well on suspension forks(what they are designed for)) or if they really hug the tire closely.

I tried one on my rigid fork last winter and because you basically have to mount it closer to the crown with a bigger gap between the tire and the mudguard…it’s too high up to stop alot of the stuff that wants to hit you in the face, and the crud inevitably ends up in your face…even though it is still in the ‘red zone’ as pictured in detailed explanation.

This makes a lot of sense:

image.png.c2b73b25fe5fe70cf38b6f619ae2b57a.png

If you mount the mudguard in the "optimum purple zone", you can theoretically eliminate the red zone. 

But if you mount it higher up like you'd have to do on a rigid fork, you're actually not impacting the "red zone" much. It would actually probably work better if you mounted it backwards on a rigid fork so the longer end faced forward, but okes would tune you and think you're a moron. 

13 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

Hi Eddie, this polysport one looks nice, how do you recon it mounts?

That mounts with cable ties. Havent seen it yet. I am going to be purchasing the RRP guards.

3 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

This makes a lot of sense:

image.png.c2b73b25fe5fe70cf38b6f619ae2b57a.png

If you mount the mudguard in the "optimum purple zone", you can theoretically eliminate the red zone. 

But if you mount it higher up like you'd have to do on a rigid fork, you're actually not impacting the "red zone" much. It would actually probably work better if you mounted it backwards on a rigid fork so the longer end faced forward, but okes would tune you and think you're a moron. 

Off the RRP website

"INDENT

A mudguard tracking close to the tyre can offer great mud and spray protection but often at the cost of mud clogging and slowing the rider down, a mudguard that sits high off the tyre is conversely going to offer less protection so a compromise is needed."

26 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The real trick is to have another hobby that you do when it rains and only ride your bikes when the weather is good......

Any sign of rain or a green wind block on Windguru an my trail running shoes or surfboard get excited. 

Mud..... pffft. Peasants

Or you could needlessly go ballztothewall in a zwift race.... Not much gets the blood pumping as well as getting in a full on battle royale with some random American up Alpe de Zwift. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Bru said:

Or you could needlessly go ballztothewall in a zwift race.... Not much gets the blood pumping as well as getting in a full on battle royale with some random American up Alpe de Zwift. 

I sold my trainer.... The emotional scars of the dumb stuff I did during hard lockdown are still too raw.

Trail running and surfing. Both offer solace for the soul, outsideness and are rad.

IDT's are good for training. I don't really train, I exercise. There is a big difference!

I bought one of the ones shown in the first post, today, at the Bike Park shop in Constanta Uitsig. R160; they fitted it in addition to repairing a tubeless valve I had damaged.

Tokai, Vasbyt was strangely much DRIER than I had anticipated; I had bought the mudguard just 30 mins before expecting heaps of mud, and it was actually fairly dry out!

washing the bike afterwards, the mudguard had done a pretty good job, I felt I would have been more muddy without it, so it gets my (used once) vote.

must say,I was VERY impressed by the service I received at C Bike Park shop; phoned them yesterday, needing a new tubeless valve fitted, and whilst I helped in stripping old tyre and cleaning up the rim, they discover 2 or 3 real issues that needed attention, I concurred, and they had me out of there in 40 minutes, after doing some extra work.

A very refreshing experience, including replacing two f/wheel sealed bearings, that were admittedly rough, and whilst I know what a bearing-puller is, I was impressed with their bearing DRIVER, sexy bit of kit.

2 thumbs up: I will be back.

chris

10 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

The real trick is to have another hobby that you do when it rains and only ride your bikes when the weather is good......

Any sign of rain or a green wind block on Windguru an my trail running shoes or surfboard get excited. 

Mud..... pffft. Peasants

Agreed. I go running. Or ride my singlespeed if I still want to ride. I loved thrashing around on it on the green belts this afternoon. Good clean muddy fun. 

8 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I don't really train, I exercise. There is a big difference!

I don't really train either. I go play outside. 

You can get these for R50 at Decathlon, and they work a treat. What's more, they have guide indentations that you can use to bend the "wings" down. Makes them contour to the fork nicely, and makes the horizontal piece flat and not round. Looks lekker!

So lekker that I even added one to my gravel bike (with a bit of custom trimming). A bit of moto is always welcome.

20210718_074851-01.jpeg.eb38cb7ed635274d5200e70a096b6905.jpeg

On 8/8/2021 at 4:10 PM, ChrisF said:

The problem with these is that it's open next to the stanchions. Around the stanchions is exactly where you want it to be closed. 

37 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Who wood do this to a bike?

d23080528af4ca41b4be513f780ea432.jpg

Both and artist and a genius wood do that

On 8/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, Spafsack said:

Hi everyone. I suspect i know the answer to my question but perhaps there is a small percentage of peeps who use these small mini front mud guards, fenders, which are happy....I dont expect it to stop everything like hectic mud, but who has fitted these and what are your thoughts. What are the pro's and con's, then again, at R150 i guess i cant expect full protection. I am looking at one of these C6 ones for my sid ultimate fork. Which i had the newer forks which have the screws in so you can properly mount the syncros mini fender, but such is life, please advise. 

MudguardWhite01-Grey01WB_1024x1024.jpg

Pros :

Keeps the mud off your face and fork stanchions 

Cheap 

Easy to DIY 

Fit and forget 

Cons:

Won't keep the mud off your downtube, drivetrain and shoes. 

Stones can get caught in it of you have tall tyre knobs. But that will happen to most mud guards. 

Edited by PhilipV