Does this look like a crack? Momsen Al129 -2018 model

Mojoman

Just now, rorydewet said:

cajees

you cant be serious

you wont get any joy from them

Lol...I only contacted them to see if there were any 29er frames knocking about in those large shops...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mojoman said:

Well, Momsen/TWT want to weld the frame rather than replace it. 

TBH Im not particularly happy with that. Seems unless certain methods/procedures are followed the area will be weaker?

So it looks like I will have to try and claim from my Insurers. Or just try and find another bike.

So bear this in mind, if you want to buy a Momsen and you break your frame after 4 years they probably wont replace it..

This  frame was a headache from day one....

its not reweldable. It will just weaken the area further and it will crack again

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

its not reweldable. It will just weaken the area further and it will crack again

Not much I can do now sadly, spilt milk and all that crap but as mentioned let this be a lesson to others....

On the plus side as soon as I can find a decent frame some lucky/unlucky labourer around here will be riding a Domsen frame.....????

Edited by Mojoman

1 hour ago, Mojoman said:

Lol....cant claim off insurance as I dont have the out-about (OUTSURANCE)
Kind of stupid really as how would you know if I damaged the bike riding around at home or on the trail?

Anyway...now it seems if they repair the frame I wont be able to insure anyway as it already has damage/repaired damage to it...

I find that strange. I could only insure my bikes on out-and-about. after explaining what the intended use was, it was the only option.

6 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Hmm, not ideal. Besides the uncertainty in the repair especially given that the crack runs on the crease line any resale value is severely undermined. 

Ja, this is my whinge...I wanted to maybe sell the bike next year if I have some R's and buy something else...
Especially seeing how its a straight steerer, 9mmQR frame....Would need to flog the whole bike really...

Anyway...Spilt milk...No more supporting local though....lol...

What is interesting is that AL129 was R7400 back in Sept 2017 when I bought it....
Its now around R14,300....granted there is a change in the drive train from a 3x9 to a 1x10 but still.....
Thats just crazy for a low entry bike...

Edited by Mojoman

1 hour ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

They charge you more for the out and about ... did an enquiry recently with them RE options for insuring my bikes.

They could not make an offer I was happy with, but while I had them on the line I did get them to drop the monthly payments on the car, motorbike and house insurance, so it made the call worthwhile :P

Aah, I see. I have all risk cover, so any damage riding anywhere and event or not. I am covered, was std with my policy.

Is this for standalone bicycle insurance?

This is poor response from Momsen. They clearly don't want to establish brand loyalty with a customer. Bad business practice.

Hopefully the weld breaks before the balance of warranty is up.

22 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

Ja, this is my whinge...I wanted to maybe sell the bike next year if I have some R's and buy something else...
Especially seeing how its a straight steerer, 9mmQR frame....Would need to flog the whole bike really...

Anyway...Spilt milk...No more supporting local though....lol...

What is interesting is that AL129 was R7400 back in Sept 2017 when I bought it....
Its now around R14,300....granted there is a change in the drive train from a 3x9 to a 1x10 but still.....
Thats just crazy for a low entry bike...

Support local like c6ixx and lyne. Good brands. Dayle at lyne takes customer support first. 

31 minutes ago, Dusty said:

This is poor response from Momsen. They clearly don't want to establish brand loyalty with a customer. Bad business practice.

Hopefully the weld breaks before the balance of warranty is up.

They did offer me one of the steel frames after someone mentioned it here and I asked about it an hour or so ago but i would have to buy another rear wheel (12x142) and apparently I would also have to upgrade my 10 speed Shimano to 12 speed.....And I would also have to find a headset to convert straight steerer to taper....And then lets face it.... I would always be waiting for that Momsen frame to break like the last one....lol....

Just more headaches and endless money being chucked around...
But ja....poor response really...

A mate is off to the UK on the 25th Aug so at least he can maybe look around there for me....Doesnt seem to be any frames available at all in SA right now....

Good luck breaking the steel frame...

I would take the offer, even if you were to just sell it on.

Personally I would make the effort to build it up and ride it though.

Would you need to pay in to get it?

35 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

They did offer me one of the steel frames after someone mentioned it here and I asked about it an hour or so ago but i would have to buy another rear wheel (12x142) and apparently I would also have to upgrade my 10 speed Shimano to 12 speed.....And I would also have to find a headset to convert straight steerer to taper....And then lets face it.... I would always be waiting for that Momsen frame to break like the last one....lol....

Just more headaches and endless money being chucked around...
But ja....poor response really...

A mate is off to the UK on the 25th Aug so at least he can maybe look around there for me....Doesnt seem to be any frames available at all in SA right now....

I mentioned the steel frame idea :P

Personally I would take up the steel frame option with the following in mind:

1. I have their steel frame and like it
  2. I am running a straight steerer rigid fork with it. The conversion is a simple lower crown race that has the OD of a taper steerer headset and an ID of the straight steerer. This is a frame you can keep for some time, so if you upgrade the fork in the future you would have many more options. It also means if you sell the frame in the future you could sell it faster, and would most certainly sell it at a higher price than what you would have been able to sell the old alum frame (before the crack). So you could recoup some of your current expenditure in the future should you ever wish to sell the frame.
  3. Why would you need to go 12spd?
  4. Rebuild a second hand hub (or a new one if you can find the budget) .... maybe look at what Rapide have in stock. Again it would be worth it overall.

The above does rely on money that you were not planning on spending unfortunately.

If doing the above does not work at all for you. Ask for the steel frame, sell it and buy a used alum frame that would work with your current components.

2 hours ago, Mojoman said:

My metallurigist mate agrees..My almost 4 years in a tool and die environment makes me agree.....Time will tell......
But Momsen/TWT isnt bothered though,.,,if they can fob me off with a repair for another 365 days then their warranty on the frame is over anyway...

Two lessons to be taken here..
One...avoid Momsen...Its always a fight no matter what
Two....check your insurance...That I didnt do........I think a lot of us just pay and dont realise until its claim time just how under insured we are...I did howver check on riot/looting cover while I had them on the phone....????

SORRY about your school fees.  

PLEASE consider an insurance company that use brokers ..... THIS is why I only work via my broker, helps that we watch each others STRAVA ... She KNOWS what I require, and have only provided excellent service over the years.

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

SORRY about your school fees.  

PLEASE consider an insurance company that use brokers ..... THIS is why I only work via my broker, helps that we watch each others STRAVA ... She KNOWS what I require, and have only provided excellent service over the years.

Its actually my own fault...I did have the out and about bit on the last bike...But after claiming on the bike I cancelled it and never renewed it again.
As is so often the case, you only notice when its too late....

6 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

Its actually my own fault...I did have the out and about bit on the last bike...But after claiming on the bike I cancelled it and never renewed it again.
As is so often the case, you only notice when its too late....

Ouch .... 

Let's hope others learn from your school fees .... 

More importantly .... HOPE you get a lovely new ride soon.