Does this look like a crack? Momsen Al129 -2018 model

Mojoman

Heard a new creaking sound on the bike...got home...had a look in the light with a torch...And the crack is on both sides....
I dont think this is just the paint as if you run your nail over it, it feels quite deep...
Any other opinions....Bike is a 2018 AL129...4 years old in Sept this year....
Always something to take your money....

crack-Side A.jpg

crack-Side B.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very unlikely that you have a crack on both sides

i think it’s the paint

also a consistent crack through the welding like that , possible but very unlikely 

can be Ex rayed but I’m pretty sure it’s a paint crack, saying that it must have taken a knock of note

This frame was already a replacement frame back in 2017...When I bought it I noticed the clear coat was peeling off on the chainstay and seat stays so they warrantied the frame...Makes me pretty distrusting of the bike now though. 

That paint looks very thick,

normally when it’s that thick and hard bump will cause it the “crack” where the bike has chip marks is it as thick as it looks?

It's difficult to tell from a picture on a screen but my gut says that's a crack, especially if you're also hearing a creak. That's a tell-tale sign in an Alu frame.

Check the join between the head and down tubes underneath as it's quite possible there is a crack there as well if this is indeed a crack.

4 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

normally when it’s that thick and hard bump will cause it the “crack” where the bike has chip marks is it as thick as it looks?

Maybe chip away some of the paint with a pic-tool ...

If the crack runs into the metal it may be visible.

Cheaper than an x.ray.  and if it is only in the paint layer it may repainted at some point in any case

Well, lets see what the manufacturer has to say...If they um and aah on this then I will sand out that area and see if its the paint of aluminium...I suppose thats the only way to tell and to feel safe......Otherwise the quest for a new frame begins.....That should be loads of laughs with a straight steerer fork....lol...

23 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

Could very well be....You cant really see in the pic but where the crack is, thats where the alumiumium comes to an apex....The length of aluminium is sort of triangular in shape if that makes any sense?

Looking at where the "crack" starts and ends it looks funny, as it it should start in the welding toe. If you are willing to polish away the paint you can do a quick dye-penetrant test.

If you in the Alberton/Germiston area let me know.

14 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

Ja, Im off to Cajees tomorrow....

????

Turns out you need a new bike, helmet, shoes and bike rack... and a free tubeless upgrade. 

But don't stress, they'll give you a good deal on all the stuff you don't need. 

Would say that's a crack, slightly unusual fault line though. Given that it's both sides of the frame I'd rule out paint work. 
Don't do anything to the frame other than removing the seat post to inspect inside the tubing, as has been suggested. 

Had a Momsen AL429 with the same problem. Momsen alu frames are sub standard. I transferred all the parts and components onto a Scott frame. I could not even give the Momsen frame away (nevermind sell it). In the end i threw it into the rubbish bin. 

Lol...hoping it doesnt play out that way but it did take some effort when the bike was brand new to get the frame replaced......(clear coat was already peeling)...