Jeremy Vine sparks cycling row by posting video of riders four abreast on quiet road and saying it should be ENCOURAGED

OVERDRIVE

As cyclists I'm sure you know how it feels when some cars pass qsy to close to you especially at high speeds and that alone speaks for itself.

And the list goes on....

4 abreast takes more than a lane, 2 abreast and 4 deep is a more accurate description. The fact they couldn't even fact check their title when they have video evidence shows you the lack of quality in the journalism.

Edited by dave303e

9 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

In many parts of Europe ,you will not dare to even attempt to pass .If you hit a cyclist in France ,no matter what , the non cyclist is wrong and will be prosecuted .I once hooted at a lady on a bike that was barely moving in front of me .I will not do that again !!!.It was in a busy town and it felt as if everybody wanted to lynch me there and then 

13 minutes ago, eala said:

In many parts of Europe ,you will not dare to even attempt to pass .If you hit a cyclist in France ,no matter what , the non cyclist is wrong and will be prosecuted .I once hooted at a lady on a bike that was barely moving in front of me .I will not do that again !!!.It was in a busy town and it felt as if everybody wanted to lynch me there and then 

Especially in The Netherlands and Belgium. I recall cycling the wrong way down a road in Den Haag when a car pulled out of the side street and connected with me. The driver was extremely apologetic and even reported the incident to the authorities. I then had to report to my doctor for examination and he paid for my front wheel repair. It was freaky but apparently that's the way it works.

Here in SA its leave the scene as soon as possible and then brag about it around the fire while eating  sweets with Peter Oliver.

The value of life and the perception of grandeur..

Our systems here are broken. It's even prevalent on this site, with people thinking they are better and looking down on other cyclists because they know more about bikes than other cyclists, despite not actually being better at riding them.

In a world where the wealthy can make things go away and those less fortunate have nothing to lose, there is seldom any recourse and due to the lack of consequence, things are far more easily 'justified'.

The attitude of people are a symptom of our past.

There are always exceptions, but as a collective whole, there is little to no actual compassion to people as people. Many South Africans believe themselves above those around them and many many of the rest just don't care.

21 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The value of life and the perception of grandeur..

Our systems here are broken. It's even prevalent on this site, with people thinking they are better and looking down on other cyclists because they know more about bikes than other cyclists, despite not actually being better at riding them.

In a world where the wealthy can make things go away and those less fortunate have nothing to lose, there is seldom any recourse and due to the lack of consequence, things are far more easily 'justified'.

The attitude of people are a symptom of our past.

There are always exceptions, but as a collective whole, there is little to no actual compassion to people as people. Many South Africans believe themselves above those around them and many many of the rest just don't care.

WELL said.

Fully agree with Vines. It's also not a new concept either, perhaps this time round the discussion draws more traffic due to how many more people have now discovered cycling, walking, running etc .... 

Peter Flax did a long form interview with a well known cycling/town planning activist, John Forrester. Much food for thought and raises many parallels that shed light on the driver superiority mentality. 

Worth the read - https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a32257789/vehicular-cycling-advocate-john-forester-dies-at-90/

Edited by Danger Dassie

10 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Expanding on my simple one liner as there are many aspects that need to be considered.

We SAFFAs have bad attitudes towards other road users. IMO the average motorist is worst of the lot because very few commute to contribute to the economy (other than by paying fuel taxes), are wasted space (single occupant vehicles) and cause more road damage (other than overloaded commercial road transport).

Motorists hate buses, trucks, taxis, cyclists, pedestrians, livestock and even other motorists. Other than simple bullying and ego I can't see the cause for all the hate this user group displays

Cyclist hate all the other user groups because they feel endangered by the other other user groups. Its the most efficient mode of transport for a single person and for short trips. Some cyclists also feel the road traffic act does not apply to them and that other road users must just understand this even if if means the little old lady crossing the road has to break her hip leaping out of the way of the cyclist who feels that stopping is too much of an inconvenience.

Commercial road transport operators hate motorists and taxis because the operators of those vehicles do not understand the complexity of operating a 20t truck laden with goods. Getting cut off in traffic or on the highways has expensive mechanical consequences and often the only objective to cutting off the truck is so that the motorist can get to the traffic first. Taxi's are at least trying to get to the next passenger first while the motorists is just looking for an opportunity to show the next motorist how quickly they can get to 60km/hr from a standing start.

Pedestrians have their own road which many seem to prefer not to use and instead will a) walk in the road, b) walk in the middle of the road, or c)  walk in the cycle lane provide for cyclists thus endangering the two wheeled traffic.

Motorcyclists hate everyone. They even organise motorcycle rallies for the purpose of taking over the road, riding illegally,  then make themselves the police by telling everyone how to drive, cycle , walk or even ride other types of motorcycle.

bus and taxi drivers......ya well just don't get in their way where ever that way may be because in the case of Taxi the road is just a general guideline and "rules were made to be broken" (taken off the back of a motorcyclists leather jacket btw)...

I could go on but I have work to do. The jist of the problem is without consequences to bad actions the middle finger will continue to be the common greeting in SA Consequences does not only mean more police but also at an interpersonal level. I've told peeps who used ot cycle with me to please rather ride on their own because their bad road manners isn't good for my safety. I've lost friends who didn't want me to drive them home and thus emasculate their ego....

I try to do my bit and sometimes I fail, sometimes I'm the git but its a journey and even if that means I end up swearing a lot I'm not using my car or bike as a weapon. I will stand up for my rights especially If I'm not in the wrong. As someone who was in the wrong once cynically pointed out "so you think you're better than everybody (because apparently everybody rides through red lights et al).......wel no I don't think I'm better but I do try to be the best version of what a considerate human being should be as imperfect as that may be

Not sure I understand this correctly.

Surely it does not matter what you think is the correct way in South Africa; last time I checked it is illegal in South Africa to ride abreast. 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Expanding on my simple one liner as there are many aspects that need to be considered.

We SAFFAs have bad attitudes towards other road users. IMO the average motorist is worst of the lot because very few commute to contribute to the economy (other than by paying fuel taxes), are wasted space (single occupant vehicles) and cause more road damage (other than overloaded commercial road transport).

Motorists hate buses, trucks, taxis, cyclists, pedestrians, livestock and even other motorists. Other than simple bullying and ego I can't see the cause for all the hate this user group displays

Cyclist hate all the other user groups because they feel endangered by the other other user groups. Its the most efficient mode of transport for a single person and for short trips. Some cyclists also feel the road traffic act does not apply to them and that other road users must just understand this even if if means the little old lady crossing the road has to break her hip leaping out of the way of the cyclist who feels that stopping is too much of an inconvenience.

Commercial road transport operators hate motorists and taxis because the operators of those vehicles do not understand the complexity of operating a 20t truck laden with goods. Getting cut off in traffic or on the highways has expensive mechanical consequences and often the only objective to cutting off the truck is so that the motorist can get to the traffic first. Taxi's are at least trying to get to the next passenger first while the motorists is just looking for an opportunity to show the next motorist how quickly they can get to 60km/hr from a standing start.

Pedestrians have their own road which many seem to prefer not to use and instead will a) walk in the road, b) walk in the middle of the road, or c)  walk in the cycle lane provide for cyclists thus endangering the two wheeled traffic.

Motorcyclists hate everyone. They even organise motorcycle rallies for the purpose of taking over the road, riding illegally,  then make themselves the police by telling everyone how to drive, cycle , walk or even ride other types of motorcycle.

bus and taxi drivers......ya well just don't get in their way where ever that way may be because in the case of Taxi the road is just a general guideline and "rules were made to be broken" (taken off the back of a motorcyclists leather jacket btw)...

I could go on but I have work to do. The jist of the problem is without consequences to bad actions the middle finger will continue to be the common greeting in SA Consequences does not only mean more police but also at an interpersonal level. I've told peeps who used ot cycle with me to please rather ride on their own because their bad road manners isn't good for my safety. I've lost friends who didn't want me to drive them home and thus emasculate their ego....

I try to do my bit and sometimes I fail, sometimes I'm the git but its a journey and even if that means I end up swearing a lot I'm not using my car or bike as a weapon. I will stand up for my rights especially If I'm not in the wrong. As someone who was in the wrong once cynically pointed out "so you think you're better than everybody (because apparently everybody rides through red lights et al).......wel no I don't think I'm better but I do try to be the best version of what a considerate human being should be as imperfect as that may be

To add onto this, you should see the looks you get as a white man if you choose to walk somewhere in Gauteng. (I mention race as its not a common site in GP to see a white person walking to the shops etc.)