sani2c nonstop rides again

News bot

I just need to understand this correctly, the price per person to enter Sani2C Nonstop is similar to Transbaviaans or 36ONE and little bit more than Cullinan 2 Tondeldoos all of which are similar ultra distance races where organizers provide multiple fully stocked water points that also include food but except medics on standby NOTHING else is provided for this race, just check points with "Coffee, tea and light snacks for sale"? We have to provide everything ourselves? Wow, talking about being seriously ripped off. 

1 hour ago, Dobri said:

I just need to understand this correctly, the price per person to enter Sani2C Nonstop is similar to Transbaviaans or 36ONE and little bit more than Cullinan 2 Tondeldoos all of which are similar ultra distance races where organizers provide multiple fully stocked water points that also include food but except medics on standby NOTHING else is provided for this race, just check points with "Coffee, tea and light snacks for sale"? We have to provide everything ourselves? Wow, talking about being seriously ripped off. 

Those perfectly manicured trails alone make it worth it to me. 

Not everyone will see the value, as for me, I rate its a bargain! 

Agreed seems expensive and I'm not sure about doing a "race" were they mix MTB-bikers and E-bikers seems like a recipe for disaster.

Entry fee:

2 riders + 1 support driver: R 8 580

3 riders + 1 support driver: R 11 440

4 riders + 1 support driver: R 14 300

Edited by _David_

10 minutes ago, _David_ said:

Agreed seems expensive and I'm not sure about doing a "race" were they mix MTB-bikers and E-bikers seems like a recipe for disaster.

Entry fee:

E-bikers have been part of Sani2C for 2 or 3 or so years now, no issues.  

1 hour ago, ACE Cycles said:

Those perfectly manicured trails alone make it worth it to me. 

Not everyone will see the value, as for me, I rate its a bargain! 

If it was 260km of perfectly manicured trails for sure, I'll pay the price too. But it's not, you spend 2/3 of your time riding district roads, farm roads, linking jeep tracks etc.

5 hours ago, Dobri said:

The “you” referred to below is a metaphorical “you”, and not intended to offend Dobri or anyone else directly.

It’s probably safe to assume you live in a house that is valued way above the value of the bricks and mortar that that hold it together. 

You wear clothing both on and off the bike valued based on the brand screen-printed to it

You ride a bike valued primarily based on the sticker placed on the downtube

But now you expect a race, with the brand power of the Sani2C to be priced based on the value offering? Why would it work that way?

For the price of a Cape Epic entry, you can literally spend an entire summer in a chalet in the alps or Pyrenees riding unbelievably well manicured trails, does that mean the Epic is overpriced? The waiting list for entries would say otherwise.

I expect this to sell out pretty soon, and Even though I haven’t done an “event” since 2015, I am actually pretty keen on this one. If it’s anything like the spirit and camaraderie of the initial Sani events, that alone will make it worth it

8 hours ago, _David_ said:

Entry fee:

Why is it a recipe for disaster? Please expand 

2 hours ago, Mike Mac said:

Would also like to know. A pet peeve of mine is being overtaken by an ebike rider on a climb, just to be held up at the next technical single track sections with no overtaking space. 

But having seen eBikes become more and more normal over the past few years, one thing is very clear, over 40+ Km distances, eBikes are no faster than any other bike. I have done team/dou rides where I’m on my trail bike and my partner on an eMTB, and even that didn’t cause any issues.

as long as they aren’t competing for a podium along real athletes, eBikes aren’t an issue within the amature peloton, and, no matter what, a weekend warrior on an ebike isn’t even going to keep up with the real athletes beyond the first couple of km anyway.

10 hours ago, Dobri said:

If it was 260km of perfectly manicured trails for sure, I'll pay the price too. But it's not, you spend 2/3 of your time riding district roads, farm roads, linking jeep tracks etc.

Like I said, not everyone will see the value, but that doesn't mean that it's not there. 

You're obviously not part of their target audience, no need to cry about it. 

11 hours ago, Mike Mac said:

Maybe "disaster" was the wrong word :-)

For me it is mostly ego, I don't like training for a race only to get passed by a heavier bike with less less effort. I prefer a level playing field were we all suffer together were you get rewarded for the training you put in.

Edited by _David_

8 hours ago, _David_ said:

Maybe "disaster" was the wrong word ????

For me it is mostly ego, I don't like training for a race only to get passed by a heavier bike with less less effort. I prefer a level playing field were we all suffer together were you get rewarded for the training you put in.

Fair enough, most people don't like having their egos dented. But the analog guys/girls are not racing the ebikes. The ebikes are in a different class (mostly heavier class).

The S2C have put up a nice e-bike etiquette, that if followed, shouldn't piss off the real bike riders too much.  

Edited by Mike Mac

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

Maybe "disaster" was the wrong word ????

The chances that you are in contention for a podium I’m going to go out on a limb here and say are slim. Also, if you were going for an elite poduim finish, the e-bike crowd would be so far behind you you probably wouldn’t notice them anyway. For the rest of us, this is an amature/recreational event. Your only really racing against yourself amd your mates anyway. Just ignore the ebike positions on the finisher logs, and call it a day. It will only upset you if you let it. 

that said, I agree that being passed by an ebiker on a climb only to be held up again as soon as it gets technical is a tad annoying. But if I’m honest, the dirt-roadies on regular bikes that are normally much fitter than me tend to do this anyway, without needing pedal assistance. 

Rode two Sani's (normal) alongside ebikes, they didn't get in the way. Must say they don't seem to do very well in these long races. Can't see how ebike would make non stop Sani without carrying many spare batteries.

Edited by Martin PJ

1 hour ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

The chances that you are in contention for a podium I’m going to go out on a limb here and say are slim. Also, if you were going for an elite poduim finish, the e-bike crowd would be so far behind you you probably wouldn’t notice them anyway. For the rest of us, this is an amature/recreational event. Your only really racing against yourself amd your mates anyway. Just ignore the ebike positions on the finisher logs, and call it a day. It will only upset you if you let it. 

that said, I agree that being passed by an ebiker on a climb only to be held up again as soon as it gets technical is a tad annoying. But if I’m honest, the dirt-roadies on regular bikes that are normally much fitter than me tend to do this anyway, without needing pedal assistance. 

I did Sani this year on a friends Levo SL.

I promise you, no one that I passed on a climb, ever saw me again on any technical section. In fact, no one passed me on any technical sections, and we started in C Batch.

I participated in The Race 2020 and 2021, both events had ebike categories.

The only time I ever saw an ebike was on day 2 of the 2020 event after they called a neutral day after all the rain.

Greg Minnaar and his boys from the Santa Cruz Syndicate were playing on pretty sweet Hecklers.

I'd be amazed if any ebikes interfered in the race to the point that someone felt the need to complain about it