New helmet advice

Rich Stan

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new road helmet but really struggling to find what I am after. I have always used higher end Bell helmets, but all I can seem to find in all brands are really entry level helmets or R5k plus ones that are beyond what I am after.

Any suggestions on where in Gauteng to buy and what the best bet is in the R2-3k bracket?

A few nice options that you could check out in the classifieds if you want to find a good deal. But it obviously depends on what size you're looking for too. 

I got a great deal on a brand new Giro Agilis two months ago via the classifieds. Old store stock that had to move. It's light, comfortable and fits my noggin perfectly. Various online stores stock them from about R1700 and up. I'd happily buy it at that price again. Alternatively look at the Giro Syntax as a small step up around R2300 online.

52 minutes ago, Rich Stan said:

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new road helmet but really struggling to find what I am after. I have always used higher end Bell helmets, but all I can seem to find in all brands are really entry level helmets or R5k plus ones that are beyond what I am after.

Any suggestions on where in Gauteng to buy and what the best bet is in the R2-3k bracket?

If the Bell fit well then I suggest that another Bell, or giro, Lazer, , Limar or MET will fit similarly well. The head shape they cater for is similar. Rudy Project is more for rounder heads.

MET Rivale is probably the best option or the Lazer Blade+ MIPS

Check out Salice helmets as they are really great helmets and half the price of the "top end" helmets.

All their helmets are R2400 so go check them out www.salice.co.za

if you PM me then I can even hook you up with a slightly better price.

1 minute ago, Mountain Bru said:

Just get one that matches your bike so you look pro :ph34r:

Neutral colour, neutral brand!!!  A Scott helmet on a Spez bike is just not cool.

Hence me also sticking to Bell most of the time.  Or Giro...

20 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

A Specialized Align 2 MIPS

It is the 6th best safety score ever at the virginia tech helmet centre (https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html), comes in at well under 2k, looks nice, is comfortable as hell, super adjustable and the 70g it weighs more than other helmets 3 times it's price is worth it.

I doubt I will ever buy anything else

yea obviously my Giro sucks...last year when i dislocated my shoulder and needed plastic surgery on my face...my helmet just needed a wipe for the blood and dust. Not even a mark on it...where i thought it needed to be smashed to bits. Then again... needed a full face helmet and body armor that day haha 

Edit:...and more talent..definitely more talent. 

Edited by MORNE