Upgrade my 26er or buy a 650B/29er?

Rolf Hansen

I am technically/mechanically very savvy so that helps I suppose. I also do all my own work and servicing on my bike, including fork services. I have only done fork lowers services up to now but will do a full service in the near future and check if the travel can be increased to 120mm.

David and myself have come to an arrangement and I will hopefully receive the dropper early next week. Thanks @David Sutcliffe for the help and effort.

I will keep everyone updated on how it rides with the dropper once fitted.

As for the tyres, I run a Maxxis Ardent EXO on the front and a Maxxis Crossmark II EXO on the rear, both 2.25. I doubt that my fork has clearance for anything wider - the clearance is pretty small as it sits. I have not had grip issues up to date and can run pretty low pressures so I believe the tyres are fine for now. 

Got my Lyne dropper from David on Friday and fitted it before Saturday's ride at Avianto. I will be using the original front derailleur cable routing for it but for now I just cable-tied  it to the shock mount to test it out.

Not too much opportunity to use it on this particular trail but the one place I did it seemed to do the trick albeit feeling a little strange because it felt like my seat was missing. 

207329387_WhatsAppImage2021-08-13at4_46_13PM.jpeg.4e0ffa838e161b170c3fe6079e1742a4.jpeg

NIce! Will take a couple ride to get used to it, or even remember that it is there. 

Up for climbs, Down for descents  and drop it just an inch for those twisty single tracks.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:27 AM, Rolf Hansen said:

I have to start by saying that I cannot throw lots of money at my plan(s). Well not a lot of money all at once anyway. 

I'll start by giving details on my current bike:

2008 Cannondale Rush SL 26"

RockShox Reba Team Dual Air with remote lockout - recently serviced with no issues. Works great.

Fox 23RP shock 

American Classic hubs and rims - not sure what they weigh but they are incredibly light weight. Tubeless with Maxxis Ardent and Crossmark II.

Avid Juice Seven brakes with fairly new pads. 

Specialized Trail stem with Syncros wide bars, decent silicone grips.

SRAM X-9 shifter and rear derailleur with 34T oval chainring - 1 x 9.

The bike is in great condition and I really enjoy riding it. I don't think there is anything that really needs to be done on it. I ride every weekend and I enjoy technical trails like Hennops and Wolwespruit. I don't jump but plan to learn how to jump properly in the near future. Not Darkfest but just the normal jumps available on the regular trails.

If money was no object I would have bought a Scott Genius or Cannondale Jekyll and be done with it. I am fairly confident that my type of riding leans more towards a trail bike than an XC bike.

These bikes are known to convert very well to 650B with some limitation to rear tyre width - 2.1. I currently have a straight steerer fork but the bike's headtube accepts onepointfive headsets so I could make a tapered fork work without too much issue. I also have no issue with buying parts 2nd hand.

Would it be worth my while changing the fork and wheels to 650b and perhaps upgrade the drivetrain to 11x1? My sons both have bikes that would benefit from the Reba and SRAM X-9 if I upgrade so the parts will go to good use.

If I go for a new(used) bike it would probably be a 650b above a 29er but this is not set in stone. Should I rather go for a decent specced, newer hardtail like a Trek Roscoe or a Rapide Tigre?

Should I just leave it be and keep on riding it the way it is?Dale.jpeg.cd05863e7837b0ed6c92861fe2f43482.jpeg

convert to 650b. 

The rear shock will have to be stoke limited to deliver 90mm of travel. The fork is the problem. I've seen some 650b conversions using a 26er Fox fork and a 2.1 tyre But I'd replace the fork with a 650B unit to be safe

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2021 at 9:01 AM, DieselnDust said:

convert to 650b. 

The rear shock will have to be stoke limited to deliver 90mm of travel. The fork is the problem. I've seen some 650b conversions using a 26er Fox fork and a 2.1 tyre But I'd replace the fork with a 650B unit to be safe

I have found a great deal on a virtually unused Manitou Magnum 27.5+ fork with both the stock 120mm travel spring as well as an upgraded 140mm airspring.

I will now have to get hold of a 27.5 front wheel in order to fit the 15mm TA Boost fork (and still get my Headshok to tapered converter headset) and will then run a 27.5/26 mullet and see if I want to change the rear wheel to 27.5 as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Here she is now. 

New SRAM Level T brakes with 4 piston upfront and new Rapidé 180mm rotors front and back. 

New Manitou Magnum 27.5+/29 fork with 140mm airspring. 

WTB 45mm front rim with 3.0" front tyre. Rear remains unchanged 26x2.25 for now. Will replace it with a 2.35 when the time comes. Might also swap the front for a 2.6.

Photos from before I installed the rotors. 

IMG_20211018_201612.jpg.099256dbdf4303aee0491ba5df804b3c.jpg

IMG_20211018_174413.jpg.d44942f8fa9294f7d13edad524e25f46.jpg

1 hour ago, Rolf Hansen said:

That is good news. Did you have to grind away the support brace tabs? 

Nope just fitted like it was made for it. Not sure if frame size would matter the rear triangle is usually the same size?

45 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Nope just fitted like it was made for it. Not sure if frame size would matter the rear triangle is usually the same size?

Then yours must be the first generation that came without the brace. I have a 2008 that has a brace - a 650b will never fit with the brace there and I am hesitant to remove the brace and grind away the tabs.

1 hour ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Then yours must be the first generation that came without the brace. I have a 2008 that has a brace - a 650b will never fit with the brace there and I am hesitant to remove the brace and grind away the tabs.

Yes there was nothing between the rear axle and frame. That's a pity because it was a fun bike with the 650b wheels. 

On 8/11/2021 at 9:27 AM, Rolf Hansen said:

If I go for a new(used) bike it would probably be a 650b above a 29er

Why?

9 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Why?

I have not ridden that many bikes but from those that I have I prefer the slightly smaller wheels. I might be totally off the mark and might just have to ride more trail oriented 29ers.

For the time being I will not be buying anything though.

Edited by Rolf Hansen