Garmin Varia Users - Stellenbosch and Cape Town

bcapostagno

Hi Hubbers

I am looking for some cyclists who currently use a Garmin Varia (bike radar) who would be interested in testing a related product. 

If you are currently using a bike radar, are based in the Cape Town or Stellenbosch areas and would be interested in testing a new product, or would like to find out more, please drop me an email Benoit.Capostagno@Garmin.com. 

Cheers

Ben

Just now, fanievb said:

why only the okes in the Republic? 

Fair question Fanie. 
Unfortunately, our product development office is based here and we won't be able to get the units out to other areas. 

Kind regards

Ben

Hi Samson
No. Experience with using a Varia is really what we are looking for, so if you no longer have one, that doesn't exclude you from taking part if you are interested.

Cheers

Ben

5 minutes ago, bcapostagno said:

Fair question Fanie. 
Unfortunately, our product development office is based here and we won't be able to get the units out to other areas. 

Kind regards

Ben

suppose it's easier to hand deliver than courier. (and easier to get the units back after testing)

pity. 

I'm a garmin fanboy, and would like to test things

25 minutes ago, bcapostagno said:

Hi Hubbers

I am looking for some cyclists who currently use a Garmin Varia (bike radar) who would be interested in testing a related product. 

If you are currently using a bike radar, are based in the Cape Town or Stellenbosch areas and would be interested in testing a new product, or would like to find out more, please drop me an email Benoit.Capostagno@Garmin.com. 

Cheers

Ben

Email sent

Great thread.  Anything for safety.

I only ride with a Varia and it it is a fantastic piece of kit.  Unfortunately it comes at a price and only works with the high end Garmin products.

I just love mine but would like something which could work with other units and smaller Garmin devices.

Not sure where you are going with this but I can highly recommend the warning radar.

I will follow this thread with interest. 

Edited by Sepia

I'm not able to participate, but can attest to a Varia being awesome. If anything comes close, it'll be great to have something else to choose from.

I ride alone, sometimes on high-speed roads with no shoulder. The warning gives me an opportunity to give a hand signal and motorists oblige more often than not. I'm still getting to grips with one car following another my about 100m as the second one doesn't give a warning, so it's arrival is sometimes alarming.

Been using the Varia since before they were available in SA.
Brilliant piece of equipment I can no longer ride without.

Even cooler when you know it was developed by a South African!  

Pity the Cape Town boys get to play with new tech.

Enjoy!

Edited by Spinnekop

17 hours ago, Sepia said:

Great thread.  Anything for safety.

I only ride with a Varia and it it is a fantastic piece of kit.  Unfortunately it comes at a price and only works with the high end Garmin products.

I just love mine but would like something which could work with other units and smaller Garmin devices.

Not sure where you are going with this but I can highly recommend the warning radar.

I will follow this thread with interest. 

I have one that I use with my EDGE 130. Its only older units it does not work with. The newest ones also have Bluetooth, so can work with a phone app as well. Most other big GPS manufacturers also work with it, like Wahoo.

Agreed the Varia is the best investment I've made in cycling safety - it's a great light too and the radar warning is astonishingly accurate - in a little under a year of riding I have not had a single false negative read. False positives occur rarely particularly around bridges and Y junctions but these aren't at all a problem. A glance at the screen and I know how many cars are behind me and how much faster than I am they are. 

Looking forward to test driving the new kit whatever it is!

Email sent. I've been using a radar for a while now and it's very reassuring on the roads. My main cycling friend has been reluctant to get one but seems to be considering it after a recent near miss. My Varia rarely (if ever in fact) reports false positives. My only gripe is that the battery life is a bit short.

On topic:

Are you developing a similar product to the Varia? It would be really great to have something made in SA on the market.

Off topic:

Ben, this is going to seem really weird but Im 99% sure I grew up across the road from your wife :)

As others have mentioned Varia is a brilliant piece of kit, never leave home with out it. 

Sometimes if a car is behind me and cannot overtake and maintains my speed the Varia "loses" it but by then i am aware it is there so no real issues. 

Would be nice to have alternatives when it dies one day. 

(IIRC Varia concept was originally an SA product bought out by Garmin but memory is hazy)