Garmin Varia Users - Stellenbosch and Cape Town

bcapostagno

Indeed. Varia was developed in SA and Garmin bought IP and the Varia was born. I have been using the Varia since the first generation was available in SA. The best piece of equipment one can get yourself. Never leave the house without the Varia. I recently acquired the new model with peloton mode. What a nice upgrade. 

Will also add my positives to using the Varia.  Only downside is the battery as mentioned and it also seems to drain the battery of my Edge 520.  4hr+ rides I start to get low battery warnings,

22 minutes ago, shaper said:

Will also add my positives to using the Varia.  Only downside is the battery as mentioned and it also seems to drain the battery of my Edge 520.  4hr+ rides I start to get low battery warnings,

I sue the daytime flash mode and i get way way more than 4 hours on a charge. I would estimate closer to 10. 

2 hours ago, shaper said:

What is your egde backlight set to? I also found that and someone suggested to me to change the backlight settings. I found that mine was set to come on 100% every time something changed. It basically never actually went off. Changed the settings and my battery life on the edge went up to pretty much the same as before I had a varia.

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

What is your egde backlight set to? I also found that and someone suggested to me to change the backlight settings. I found that mine was set to come on 100% every time something changed. It basically never actually went off. Changed the settings and my battery life on the edge went up to pretty much the same as before I had a varia.

Backlight set on 40% and 15secs.  Whilst I get the low battery warning on my Edge, have yet to have it die on me.  After about 5-6hrs is down to around 10% remaining (been as low as 6%).  It is always on the flash mode and the varia lasts no problem, The beeping and changing of colours (and constant bluetooth to the varia) on the Edge with the varia doing it's job seems to drain the Edge battery more than when I ride with the Club and just use a normal light for group rides as don't need the varia.  So just live with it knowing and I guess is to be expected.  probably my 520 battery is getting old as have had it many years!!

Brilliant kit, been using it for a few months.

Not only a very good rear light, but the radar function as mentioned becomes second nature that you soon cannot go without.

Agreed on the battery life situation. The varia holds decent life but my edge 520 paired with varia, HR and stages doesn't last more than 2 days (5/6hrs).

On 8/11/2021 at 11:31 AM, bcapostagno said:

Fair question Fanie. 
Unfortunately, our product development office is based here and we won't be able to get the units out to other areas. 

Kind regards

Ben

Ben are you part of the Technopark team ?  Or will this be part of the US product development research studies ?

25 minutes ago, bcapostagno said:

Hi Chris. 

Yes to both I guess. 

Our product development team is based at Technopark and is one of the Garmin product development sites (USA, Canada and SA). 

Cheers

Ben

Thanks, so yes to "1".  Actually bought my first Nuvi205W from your office long long ago .... how technology have progressed since then.  My neighbour buys all his units from you, and have your team set up the software.

"2" referres to InnovusUS, the varsities business development and research hub .... we did some work to get this unit up and running.  Good to look from a distance and watch young talent maturing .....

Almost a pity I have zero Varia experience .... could have been an interesting new chapter ....

BEST wishes with your market research.