Events that are getting postponed again...

Robbie Stewart

22 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I think the problem is convincing the authorities involved that your creative & innovative solutions will pass all the covid related red tape, and then secondly as Jewbacca said, whether people will be convinced to pay to enter your creative alternative.

Seems to me Attakwas and Trans Baviaans are going ahead so hopefully things are starting to turn around

Yes TB seems to be going ahead...but how feasible is it if you ask about 20% of the field to plan to pull of at 10PM, find shelter somehow and sleep until 4AM, continue and still get the finishers medal. I feel sorry for the organisers...I DO!! I am still a 2020 victim and asked for an entry for 2022. But to pull off at 10PM - where do you cut off riders along the route? Staff at water points? Does it not somehow feel like desperation knowing that the business affectively can no longer afford for it not to happen. And by putting this alternative on the table - is it not more to the detriment of the rider than the organiser?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

Yeah sorry. I got a little carried away here. I’m going to cut back on my posting for a bit while I decompress. It’s been a tough week

No need to appologize.

It was a VERY comprehensive and factually correct post.

Struggling to find the rght words ... their lack of attention span is no need to dumb down a factual report.

Having rubbed shoulderd with event organisers AND Local Authority I know what seemed like a long post barely scratched the surface ....

People wanting to make sweeping statememts like "they are too lazy" really should not be too lazy tp get the real facts.

6 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Yes TB seems to be going ahead...but how feasible is it if you ask about 20% of the field to plan to pull of at 10PM, find shelter somehow and sleep until 4AM, continue and still get the finishers medal. I feel sorry for the organisers...I DO!! I am still a 2020 victim and asked for an entry for 2022. But to pull off at 10PM - where do you cut off riders along the route? Staff at water points? Does it not somehow feel like desperation knowing that the business affectively can no longer afford for it not to happen. And by putting this alternative on the table - is it not more to the detriment of the rider than the organiser?

If you do not get to CP#5 by a certain time you will have to camp there until 04:00 the next morning. I still don't have an entry for the TB but I am definitely keen to do it this year. I mean starting at 05 - 06 will change the dynamic completely, you will start in the dark and finish in the dark 

On 8/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, Skubarra said:

I think the problem is convincing the authorities involved that your creative & innovative solutions will pass all the covid related red tape, and then secondly as Jewbacca said, whether people will be convinced to pay to enter your creative alternative.

Seems to me Attakwas and Trans Baviaans are going ahead so hopefully things are starting to turn around

I personally know that the Attakwas is still on. I'm managing Pine Creek where the race ends and we run like mad to get everything in order.  We also got a list of what may and may not happen from Dryland and the local Municipality. 

Edited by BSG
Message not fully typed then I unfortunately pressed send.

1 hour ago, BSG said:

I personally know that the Attakwas is still on. I'm managing Pine Creek where the race ends and we run like mad to get everything in order.  We also got a list of what may and may happen from Dryland and the local Municipality. 

Perfect example of how municipalities differ ....

Here only a "principal approval" is possible weeks before the time.

The final approval is litterally 2 to 3 days before the event, often with final checks the afternoon before the event

10 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

If you do not get to CP#5 by a certain time you will have to camp there until 04:00 the next morning. I still don't have an entry for the TB but I am definitely keen to do it this year. I mean starting at 05 - 06 will change the dynamic completely, you will start in the dark and finish in the dark 

We will be chasing the sunset

23 hours ago, eala said:

TAX was not even mentioned .In my case 60 cents of the 100 returns to SARS 

Wait, how do you pay 60% tax?

Just now, Jase619 said:

Wait, how do you pay 60% tax?

If you do your calcs and add in VAT and fuel levy and then add all the indirect taxes that you wouldn't need to pay if the government weren't a bunch of theiving scumbags like medical aid and private security and CID's you'll see that 60% is quite conservative.

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

If you do your calcs and add in VAT and fuel levy and then add all the indirect taxes that you wouldn't need to pay if the government weren't a bunch of theiving scumbags like medical aid and private security and CID's you'll see that 60% is quite conservative.

Correct ! I did not want to sound too DRAMATIC ! People might think i am a ritch dufess 

Income tax + VAT on food, Utilities, fuel + Levies (rates, fuel levies, zone differential costs) = >60%

Of which we get nothing back either in Education funding or other.

Then we also cover the tax income for those who dodge the tax net

The race organizers do these events to make money and for the love of the sport. The issue with mass participation races is you need large numbers to get in large money and the costs are so exorbitant as you need to provide so many things to get approval from the local offices of government to local office of CSA. With certain traffic departments making a killing with their fees and your entry platform and timing and race official fee’s race organizers cannot put on a race for small numbers. You now need to relook at every expense and sit down with providers and get the best value for money but not at the expense of safety. Race organizers need to think out the box and rethink their tradition way of doing races and from local government, to CSA need to work with us. We literally need to pick up what is left and move forward and in doing so get the backing and understanding of everyone in the event. From service providers to government and traffic police included. Then everyone will know what a mission it is to put a race on and that some of us put an event on for the love of the sport. Watch this space. 30th and 31st October www.germistonclassic.co.za. A new era of racing. From cyclists for cyclists. Hope to see you there roadies. 

On 8/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, RocknRolla said:

Is missed the "longest post" competition being launched by admin...

Good luck with everyone's carpel tunnel...

just realised it is a brilliant tactic to avoid moderation haha. you keep it nice and clean in the first 3 or 4 paragraphs, then loosen the proverbial cannons in paragraph 4 - 8, and finally end off with a pleasant paragraph 9 and 10????

RADAR

YOU WILL BE HERE
????

Edited by MORNE

On 8/11/2021 at 2:57 PM, Jewbacca said:

What is crazy is that an event like CTCT implements methods to still host the event and then gets lambasted because those methods don't allow a fair reflection of who came 26142nd........

I am one of those guest house owners who was flourishing 2 years ago and now not so much. I've stopped taking deposits, stopped implementing charges unless it is a blatant no show, allowed future bookings to stay on the calendar with zero commitment, started renting apartments out long term  and dropped the rates massively just to pay my staff and cover my bills.

The issue with bike events is often the cyclists and their demand for certain things. Field size, support staff, food/water supply stations etc

Trail running events are happening unsupported, carry your own, register on line, rolling starts, times loops etc... 

Call the event organisers lazy, but the backlash over cancelling the event is easier to handle than the backlash over hosting an event that in any way doesn't suit the narrative of cyclists.

Looking forwards. once people feel safe to travel again the tourism industry is going to boom. 

People want to travel and are biting at the bit to do so again

If you are able to see through this storm, then you will be of the first to benefit from the coming trade, and hopefully can use this opportunity to grow. This would be especially so as I assume many in the tourism industry have closed their doors for good and so doing are leaving a vacuum in the industry.

1 hour ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Looking forwards. once people feel safe to travel again the tourism industry is going to boom. 

People want to travel and are biting at the bit to do so again

If you are able to see through this storm, then you will be of the first to benefit from the coming trade, and hopefully can use this opportunity to grow. This would be especially so as I assume many in the tourism industry have closed their doors for good and so doing are leaving a vacuum in the industry.

I am thinking the tourism industry is somewhat oversaturated since the 2010 footy world cup, and with the advent of AirBNB every second Tom, Dick and Harry are renting out their homes as holiday destinations. Its time for the market to reset itself and stabilise I think.

clearly talking from the wrong hole. 

Edited by Robbie Stewart
retraction

54 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I am thinking the tourism industry is somewhat oversaturated since the 2010 footy world cup, and with the advent of AirBNB every second Tom, Dick and Harry are renting out their homes as holiday destinations. Its time for the market to reset itself and stabilise I think.

How involved are you in the tourism industry?

While I am no fan of AirBNB, the actual tourism Industry is not over inflated. For one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, Cape Town is severely lacking in many ways. Guys looking for the proverbial 'slice of cake' re accommodation is NOT the tourism industry. 

Also, the effects are seriously widespread. Good, well established companies that offered amazing services are ded. Companies that existed long before 2010.

I don't think this statement makes any sense. If big hotels and hotel companies are closing doors, the industry does not simply 'reset'. It loses its ability to look after the tourists, more crappy fly by night air bnbs get the tenants, they get rubbish ratings and people stop coming here because 'it's impossible to find nice places to stay or things to do'....

There are already issues in this regard. Anyway, if you aren't in the industry it's really easy to say stuff like this without really thinking about the long term implications.

I luckily have a few fingers in some other pies, but this country relies heavily on tourism. Suggesting that the capitulation of one of the biggest contributors to our GDP is a good thing because 'airbnb' makes no sense.