Cederberg Circuit: Tips and info for a non-stop, two day or three day ride

Bike Hub Features

For many riders local to the Western Cape the Cederberg needs no introduction as a riding destination. The Cederberg Circuit is a 247km circular route which offers riders the opportunity to explore this majestic area in their own time. It is a proper gem and only 2 hours from Cape Town.

For those reading this who aren’t based in the Western Cape, or if you are but haven’t had the chance to venture out to this beautifully challenging part of the country yet, this article should provide all the info you need to plan a great a weekend or week of adventuring through the area.

cederberg_circuit_2.jpeg

View full article

Good day, do you have the route for the 2 day ride? Would like to attempt this but don't want to get lost. 

24 minutes ago, g-star said:

Good day, do you have the route for the 2 day ride? Would like to attempt this but don't want to get lost. 

A map is all you need to plan your own route.

I have sent this all to info@capecycleroutes but never got a response, so might as well repeat here.

There is the very doable option of cutting out the clanwillam dam section and using the niewoudt pass into algeria. 

we did it anti clockwise, starting from citrusdal in the afternoon and going straight up middelburg pass. made day 2 the big one but then you have oasis

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

A map is all you need to plan your own route.

just on that. the official map is pretty meh. 

it is 48mb and actually doesn't really tell you too much.

https://capecycleroutes.co.za/route/cederberg-circuit

as for accom, still a  bit of a hack working it all out. I'd add algeria and bydidam and take out the one in Massachusetts

https://capecycleroutes.co.za/accommodation

Edited by Shebeen

Hi all I can highly recommend Slingsby maps. He's made 2 for the cedarberg the Northern and Southern. Outdoor warehouse sell them and they waterproof. They give great detail of the cedarberg. However they don't cover the section of Op die Berg. From this town it's sign posted to Citrusdal anyway. 

15 hours ago, Jackb said:

Hi all I can highly recommend Slingsby maps. He's made 2 for the cedarberg the Northern and Southern. Outdoor warehouse sell them and they waterproof. They give great detail of the cedarberg. However they don't cover the section of Op die Berg. From this town it's sign posted to Citrusdal anyway. 

die kaartman rocks. i have the full collection pretty much

22 hours ago, copperhead said:

With regards to this... how are people going to get around the dam when they extend the dam wall up? There is a section where when the dam is full now you are just about water level. It is going to be an interesting one as far as I can see.

this is what i was told.

N7 got rebuilt higher up

everyone with property within the new dam extent got compensated a while back. They are living for free now until they go underwater.

i dunno what the plan is for the eastern road there. would make sense to rebuild the few bits that are submrged

edit: it will be raised

image.png.3849cbda51a33d32e353788d4493beaf.png

Edited by Shebeen

Off topic, but surely they're not increasing yield by only 70m3???

Edit: Quick Google shows 70 MILLION cubic metre increase. That makes a lot more sense.

Edited by bertusras

On 8/16/2021 at 11:30 AM, g-star said:

make sure you have google maps in offline mode. probably worth taking a charger too, but that weighs little. can also charge other devices

I did this in one day and stayed at Gecko Creek, which was fantastic! It added a little extra distance and climbing but was worth it.

It's a beautiful route which I'd definitely recommend.