What kind of event would you enter?

DonatelloOnPinarello

Organisers got another blow to the gut today....

Level 3 extended once again....

Hospital admissions in the Western Cape "still increasing" ....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll see more things like this - https://theceder.com/

Very easy to put on, essentially all you need is a website. I'd probably charge less, but the market can dictate.

You have the weird paradox needing hype to create entry demand but still chasing it away to stay under the radar.

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I still maintain that the biggest issue with moving forward are the cyclists. How many still haven't embraced dropper posts, look at how 'Enduro' is still struggling to gain a significant foothold? XCO struggles to get numbers..... But every over priced XCM/stage race has a waiting list 6 pages long. 

The mind shift in how bikes (especially mountain bikes) can be ridden and enjoyed is something that needs prodding in SA.

Lol. I got into MTB in the UK. This meant packing our bikes into a car and driving 4 hours to wales for a weekend of awesome trail centres like Afan, CwymCarn (sp?) and Coed y Brenin. Not to mention Glentress in Scotland. This was always followed by a beer and a curry served up by a busty welsh woman from the valleys in smelly pub with an Autographed tom Jones poster on the wall. Before I left to come back to RSA, my riding mate said "Look, just promise me you wont get into that 80km-of-riding-jeeptrack-in-tights BS that i see happening over there. What's with that anyway?" I miss Wales.     

35 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Lol. I got into MTB in the UK. This meant packing our bikes into a car and driving 4 hours to wales for a weekend of awesome trail centres like Afan, CwymCarn (sp?) and Coed y Brenin. Not to mention Glentress in Scotland. This was always followed by a beer and a curry served up by a busty welsh woman from the valleys in smelly pub with an Autographed tom Jones poster on the wall. Before I left to come back to RSA, my riding mate said "Look, just promise me you wont get into that 80km-of-riding-jeeptrack-in-tights BS that i see happening over there. What's with that anyway?" I miss Wales.     

true, we dont have what they have in terms of trail riding, but then they dont have what we have either in the form of literally everything else…including the sun????.

35 minutes ago, NickGM said:

How good is the windmill line and the wall at Afan?!

I have spent many hours at all those places. Did a few really dodgy laps in the Forest of Dean and around Newcastleton as well. 

Wales is awesome. I used to load the bike into an Iveco work van with a mattress and some clothes and go park at Glencowyg or Coed y for the weekend often.

49 minutes ago, NickGM said:

"Look, just promise me you wont get into that 80km-of-riding-jeeptrack-in-tights BS that i see happening over there. What's with that anyway?"

What does he have against gravel bikes?

1 minute ago, Mountain Bru said:

What does he have against gravel bikes?

they don’t have gravel. just mud.

Just now, MORNE said:

they don’t have gravel. just mud.

I suppose you need it to stop raining for more than 20 minutes and the sun to shine for there to be gravel. 

Don't know how to multi-quote reply so...

@MORNE For sure. It (the sun) was a deal breaker in the end! I think my lady is solar powered. Besides: Cederberg, Drakensberg, Garden Route, West Coast, Wild Coast - this is a country I was very happy to be "locked down" in. 

@Jewbacca Hahaha we actually ended up hiring a van exactly like that in my last year there and drove up to fort William for the DH, stopping at 3 trail centers on the way up. And yes coming through the woods at Afan and out at the top at the windmills to go down the wall is literally the mental image I have of wales. That and white's level. Rode it so many times. So many of those trails were maintained with EU funding which is obviously no longer available. Hope they've got some alternative funding strategy now. I guess you just pay at the gate. Jonkershoek is not far behind many of those places now ito quality, and a much shorter trip. 

9 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Don't know how to multi-quote reply so...

@MORNE For sure. It (the sun) was a deal breaker in the end! I think my lady is solar powered. Besides: Cederberg, Drakensberg, Garden Route, West Coast, Wild Coast - this is a country I was very happy to be "locked down" in. 

@Jewbacca Hahaha we actually ended up hiring a van exactly like that in my last year there and drove up to fort William for the DH, stopping at 3 trail centers on the way up. And yes coming through the woods at Afan and out at the top at the windmills to go down the wall is literally the mental image I have of wales. That and white's level. Rode it so many times. So many of those trails were maintained with EU funding which is obviously no longer available. Hope they've got some alternative funding strategy now. I guess you just pay at the gate. Jonkershoek is not far behind many of those places now ito quality, and a much shorter trip. 

you just keep clicking the quote button right(under every individual post you want to quote) then reply once. edit: bottom left on mobile

Edited by MORNE

I would suggest this thread topic is too general because there are many different forms of events: road, gravel, XCO, XCM, BMX. I think everyone has their very own preferences.

Mine is to ride mostly technical single track, with decent challenges, in areas I haven't been before (new tracks), over distances of between 70-100km per day, over multiple days. I enjoy the challenge and like to push myself, so the stage race mould works for me. But prefer  more along the lines of Eselfontein - low cost with own camping/accommodation and braai etc 

I reckon this is the most difficult event to stage, as single track needs a lot of route preparation, unless it's permanent trails (like Piket-Bo-Berg/Esels etc). What I don't want to do is have to find the routes. So at very least we need GPX files and full access (would be uncool to have to open gates with key etc, or worse jump over), although I don't mind needing to open and close if no locks.

I also enjoy single day events too. I liked the odd Trailseeker in GP which ran over a whole weekend and you could choose the day and morning or midday start time. Manages numbers, but means services and staff for 3 days (incl. Friday) and routes for different skill levels.

Having been eyeing some Enduro events and maybe at some stage some XCO. But feel XCO is redlining too much for me.....I'm more diesel engine. Gravel and road bores me. Riding the Cederberg is great, but throw in some single track and I'm happy.

So ja, not sure what the formula is. But there is a reason the stage race format was so incredibly popular, though waning a bit in the end: organisation, vibe, marked routes for everyone, tent/accommodation and meals/drinks. The general herd prefers to pay with all else is organised.

I don't need top end stuff, except with the trails. We have incredible scenery and areas for exploration. I'd love to see as much as possible (have seen a lot already, but ready for much more). Just need a tent, sarmies, water, shower and toilet. All good.

1 hour ago, mrcg said:

I would suggest this thread topic is too general because there are many different forms of events: road, gravel, XCO, XCM, BMX. I think everyone has their very own preferences.

Mine is to ride mostly technical single track, with decent challenges, in areas I haven't been before (new tracks), over distances of between 70-100km per day, over multiple days. I enjoy the challenge and like to push myself, so the stage race mould works for me. But prefer  more along the lines of Eselfontein - low cost with own camping/accommodation and braai etc 

I reckon this is the most difficult event to stage, as single track needs a lot of route preparation, unless it's permanent trails (like Piket-Bo-Berg/Esels etc). What I don't want to do is have to find the routes. So at very least we need GPX files and full access (would be uncool to have to open gates with key etc, or worse jump over), although I don't mind needing to open and close if no locks.

I also enjoy single day events too. I liked the odd Trailseeker in GP which ran over a whole weekend and you could choose the day and morning or midday start time. Manages numbers, but means services and staff for 3 days (incl. Friday) and routes for different skill levels.

Having been eyeing some Enduro events and maybe at some stage some XCO. But feel XCO is redlining too much for me.....I'm more diesel engine. Gravel and road bores me. Riding the Cederberg is great, but throw in some single track and I'm happy.

So ja, not sure what the formula is. But there is a reason the stage race format was so incredibly popular, though waning a bit in the end: organisation, vibe, marked routes for everyone, tent/accommodation and meals/drinks. The general herd prefers to pay with all else is organised.

I don't need top end stuff, except with the trails. We have incredible scenery and areas for exploration. I'd love to see as much as possible (have seen a lot already, but ready for much more). Just need a tent, sarmies, water, shower and toilet. All good.

smh…shower.

princess.

????

Edited by MORNE