What kind of event would you enter?

DonatelloOnPinarello

Have to love all the 'why can't everyone be cool like me/us and just want to bike pack the country or just ride with our mates' ... because I assume racing is only for those who can be in the top 10 or 'S-Works' riding posers, and yes I'm one of those I guess ????

In the same breath many of those are the same people who say don't worry about what others think just do whatever makes you happy?

#SMK

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Basically, people in the events industry have to be inventive and also be open to failing.

No one is going to get it 100% right 1st time, but IMHO they are all sitting back waiting for someone else to come up with a successful blue print and copy it.

Remote events also likely mean more 'work' with less profit, but does open the opportunity to do 'more' events as they aren't fully manned. 

I still maintain that the biggest issue with moving forward are the cyclists. How many still haven't embraced dropper posts, look at how 'Enduro' is still struggling to gain a significant foothold? XCO struggles to get numbers..... But every over priced XCM/stage race has a waiting list 6 pages long. 

The mind shift in how bikes (especially mountain bikes) can be ridden and enjoyed is something that needs prodding in SA.

The road scene is a different beast and the racing there is beyond me. My experience is okes throwing gel packets on the floor, snot rockets to the face, lots of angry shouting about lines and wheels and then getting dropped. Road races are way cooler on a BMX......

There is nothing wrong with the stage race format under normal “non Covid” circumstances, essentially. They can be good fun and all, but I don’t understand the obsession with them, to the point that it seems to be the only type of event “the market” wants. 

The pricing is unfortunately like with most, driven by what the market is willing to pay, and because the format allows the corporates to use these as 3-5 day high intensity relationship building with their high value clients, and write off the entries as legitimate business expenditure, the pricing, and the wait lists will keep growing. Can’t blame them either, it sure does beat a round of golf, and no matter the entry price, it’s good value for money compared to greens fees and memberships at the elite golf clubs.

20 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

And a perfect example is RCS Sox trail running event. They eventually didn't get permission to run through the nature reserve (that was selling permits to large groups of hikers campers and other) so they had an alternative in place that was maybe less exciting but they could still deliver a product to their paid up customers. Double the work but I'd be happy to support them in future as I know they've dug deep into their suitcase of courage to find a solution.

And their suitcase of money too, most likely. It’s commendable they did what they could to put on something, and they deserve to be supported in future for doing this, but every time an orginiser needs to do something like this, it’s going to hurt their long term sustainability. Hence many rather sitting back and waiting for “safer” operating conditions, which is also unfortunately not sustainable for very long. Either way, they are stuffed.

15 hours ago, MORNE said:

they don’t have gravel. just mud.

So, Cyclocross then…. Somehow that always seems to take place in a field of mud????????

I am 70 years old, have had my vaccines and am hoping to do my 29th Cape Town Cycle Tour in October, But I am concerned about still mingling with 18000 people many of whom will not have been jabbed by then. I think they should cancel this year and try again in March next year. Keith(Piggy1951)

21 minutes ago, Piggy1951 said:

I am 70 years old, have had my vaccines and am hoping to do my 29th Cape Town Cycle Tour in October, But I am concerned about still mingling with 18000 people many of whom will not have been jabbed by then. I think they should cancel this year and try again in March next year. Keith(Piggy1951)

I hope you reach 30 Argusts! Good luck!

I would also think that you would only need to contend with a few start groups behind or ahead of you, aside from your own. So a fraction of the 18000. Added to that, it is an outside event and with a touch of wind likely you should be ok. Unless you're drafting all the way.....

With the jab, symptoms should also likely be milder. 

Edited by mrcg
Spelling

1 hour ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

There is nothing wrong with the stage race format under normal “non Covid” circumstances, essentially. They can be good fun and all, but I don’t understand the obsession with them, to the point that it seems to be the only type of event “the market” wants. 

The pricing is unfortunately like with most, driven by what the market is willing to pay, and because the format allows the corporates to use these as 3-5 day high intensity relationship building with their high value clients, and write off the entries as legitimate business expenditure, the pricing, and the wait lists will keep growing. Can’t blame them either, it sure does beat a round of golf, and no matter the entry price, it’s good value for money compared to greens fees and memberships at the elite golf clubs.

And their suitcase of money too, most likely. It’s commendable they did what they could to put on something, and they deserve to be supported in future for doing this, but every time an orginiser needs to do something like this, it’s going to hurt their long term sustainability. Hence many rather sitting back and waiting for “safer” operating conditions, which is also unfortunately not sustainable for very long. Either way, they are stuffed.

So, Cyclocross then…. Somehow that always seems to take place in a field of mud????????

I disagree. Those who try to innovate and deliver have a better chance of long term sustainability. Making some money is better than making no money

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I disagree. Those who try to innovate and deliver have a better chance of long term sustainability. Making some money is better than making no money

I probably didn’t make my point well enough/clear enough. I agree with you 100%. I just don’t think it’s always that simple to re-arrange/replan etc, especially if a certain expectation has been set as to what to expect. Also, it changes form orginiser to orginiser as to how deep their pockets are, and how much of a knock they can sustain in order to pivot their product. Those that can afford to, and don’t, are shooting them selves in the foot, and will probably learn to regret that in the future. 

8 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Have to love all the 'why can't everyone be cool like me/us and just want to bike pack the country or just ride with our mates' ... because I assume racing is only for those who can be in the top 10 or 'S-Works' riding posers, and yes I'm one of those I guess ????

In the same breath many of those are the same people who say don't worry about what others think just do whatever makes you happy?

#SMK

There's obviously a big appeal to doing races and challenging yourself, and feeling the red mist come over you while you smash past people for 9283rd place on the climbs, and having pointless rivalry with the guy that started a batch ahead of you and then had a puncture, and sprinting for the line for no reason other than because it's there.... I 100% get that. I mean are you even a bike rider if you don't chase down every rider you see in the distance on your recovery rides? There's a reason why strava is so popular.... we love competing. 

But....  We're obviously not living in "normal" times, and the reality is that normal races aren't happening. You can roll the dice and enter, and maybe it happens, but more likely it's cancelled or postponed. So under the current circumstances, what race/event would you actually enter? 

Saying "I want to do the same races in the same way as always" is like answering the question "how do I make my business work in covid times" with "just pretend covid doesn't exist". 

Probably been said, but my 2c…

I won’t do events again, unless I get a free entry somewhere. 

I’d rather spend my money on a weekend away with mates, guest house or camping, lekker trails, and some other things to do in the area after the ride with family and kids. 

The only event I will do every year is the Enduro Western Cape series. Relatively inexpensive, a one day thing, cool trails, and it is nice to strap on the knee pads, full face and goggles, and “race” (even if it is for P59 instead of P65). Just prefer the vibe of enduros over the stage race and marathon scene. 

PS, none of this has anything to do with Covid. Just don’t see the point in overpaying to sleep in tiny tents on thin mattresses and ride trails I can ride any time of the year for a fraction of the price and not sot behind some numpty who can’t let go of the brakes.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

31 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

SNIP

PS, none of this has anything to do with Covid. Just don’t see the point in overpaying to sleep in tiny tents on thin mattresses and ride trails I can ride any time of the year for a fraction of the price and not sot behind some numpty who can’t let go of the brakes.

If you start behind me on a stage or two at the Enduro in October I can definitely oblige....

Edited by Jewbacca

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2021 at 8:35 PM, mrcg said:

I would suggest this thread topic is too general because there are many different forms of events: road, gravel, XCO, XCM, BMX. I think everyone has their very own preferences.

Mine is to ride mostly technical single track, with decent challenges, in areas I haven't been before (new tracks), over distances of between 70-100km per day, over multiple days. I enjoy the challenge and like to push myself, so the stage race mould works for me. But prefer  more along the lines of Eselfontein - low cost with own camping/accommodation and braai etc 

I reckon this is the most difficult event to stage, as single track needs a lot of route preparation, unless it's permanent trails (like Piket-Bo-Berg/Esels etc). What I don't want to do is have to find the routes. So at very least we need GPX files and full access (would be uncool to have to open gates with key etc, or worse jump over), although I don't mind needing to open and close if no locks.

I also enjoy single day events too. I liked the odd Trailseeker in GP which ran over a whole weekend and you could choose the day and morning or midday start time. Manages numbers, but means services and staff for 3 days (incl. Friday) and routes for different skill levels.

Having been eyeing some Enduro events and maybe at some stage some XCO. But feel XCO is redlining too much for me.....I'm more diesel engine. Gravel and road bores me. Riding the Cederberg is great, but throw in some single track and I'm happy.

So ja, not sure what the formula is. But there is a reason the stage race format was so incredibly popular, though waning a bit in the end: organisation, vibe, marked routes for everyone, tent/accommodation and meals/drinks. The general herd prefers to pay with all else is organised.

I don't need top end stuff, except with the trails. We have incredible scenery and areas for exploration. I'd love to see as much as possible (have seen a lot already, but ready for much more). Just need a tent, sarmies, water, shower and toilet. All good.

EselfonteinPolePoster_3.jpg

The Saturday race seems super nice.....  that climb will wake up the legs (or my case, drain the battery ...)

Hoping to get over this summer flu in the next few days .....

Would be SUPER NICE to do a Boland ride again :)

18 minutes ago, Eselfontein said:

EselfonteinPolePoster_3.jpg

Good example of an event I would enter. (unfortunately this year clashes with the CTCT)

I generally prefer the "bike touring with buddies" scene but I still get a kick out of racing my bike so would still enter cheapish events I consider good value for money, or take me to a place I would not normally get to ride my bike (Trans Augrabies, Namaqua Quest).

My biased rule of thumb if its more than 5K I can probably put something together with friends that is better value for money, not restricted to riding when/where the race organisers say I must and still opt to chase a few Strava segments to get the competitive juices flowing.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Good example of an event I would enter. (unfortunately this year clashes with the CTCT)

I generally prefer the "bike touring with buddies" scene but I still get a kick out of racing my bike so would still enter cheapish events I consider good value for money, or take me to a place I would not normally get to ride my bike (Trans Augrabies, Namaqua Quest).

My biased rule of thumb if its more than 5K I can probably put something together with friends that is better value for money, not restricted to riding when/where the race organisers say I must and still opt to chase a few Strava segments to get the competitive juices flowing.

The Saturday option is very affordable as well :)

1 hour ago, Eselfontein said:

EDIT - Replied the other thread

Edited by ChrisF

On 8/12/2021 at 7:33 AM, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

To add to what Jewbacca is saying, about cyclists themselves being the problem. There have been a number of DIY races using the format you mentioned up in Gauteng at least, but this also doesn’t seem to keep everyone happy. The common gripes you hear are:

- I’m not going to pay anything extra if there isn’t event infrastructure in place (I kinda get that, The vibe is a big part of why people enter events, and obviously that is not okay at the moment)

- The GPS timing isn’t accurate enough. Guys seem to get vehemently upset about a second or two on the leaderboard when they are sitting at 151st anyway. I think this will remain an issue, until people start to realise that this is meant to be recreational. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you mean chip/board timing? GPS I'd say is undisputedly accurate.