best cleaning (solvent) for hard/old GLUE on Carbon TUBULAR MTB rim?

Zebra

Hi all- have removed an older TUBULARĀ  - meaning Glued-on - MTB tyre off of a 26'er Carbon Fibre rim - see pics - and obviously do not want to negatively affect the integrity of the CF, so keen to hear which SOLVENT I could use to remove the H-A-R-D glue? It will not roll off with rubbing with my thumb, like back in the old Triathlon days, - this glue has SET, and is VAS!

(pic 1 shows old glue. pic 2 is of clean section. pic 3 is the new Tubulars i have for the rims. pic 4 is of the complete rim (i have front & rear...)

thanks

CHris

20210809_172322.jpg

20210809_172311.jpg

20210809_172435.jpg

20210809_172335.jpg

20 minutes ago, David Marshall said:

Zipp specify acetone - and with good reason I don't touch tubbies! Casper at Chainwizzard is the go to tubbie man.

acetone is also a good option and works more to soften the glue whereas IPA will act as a rebonder and regreaser. Softening effect is not as strong as acetone but use with gloves!

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, David Marshall said:

Zipp specify acetone - and with good reason I don't touch tubbies! Casper at Chainwizzard is the go to tubbie man.

I hear you - this glue isĀ likely 10 years old;Ā I actually do not usually battle with removing the glue, but this has 'set'....

....and in addition, these tubular tyres are PRE _ GLUED, with a system that attaches them to the rim, an improvement on the older way where the WHOLE tubular was glued on, etc...

thanks for hint about Casper - was unaware, I will Google him now....

Cheers! Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Got some advice from Casper, CAREFUL use of a heat gun; instead I used a hair dryer on low heat, worked really well, after having ZERO success with solvents; not propyl alcohol, not thinners, not Acetone, neither.

Hair dryer softened the glue effortlessly, then much careful rubbing residual glue into a ball(s), worked really well!

thanks all forĀ some great ideas, "Casper & The Hairdryers" for the win!
chris

Edited by Zebra
Spelling

2 hours ago, Zebra said:

Got some advice from Casper, CAREFUL use of a heat gun; instead I used a hair dryer on low heat, worked really well, after having ZERO success with solvents; not propyl alcohol, not thinners, not Acetone, neither.

Hair dryer softened the glue effortlessly, then much careful rubbing residual glue into a ball(s), worked really well!

thanks all forĀ some great ideas, Casper & The Hairdryer for the win!
chris

Sounds like a good name for a rock band