55 e-Bike battery fires.

justinafrika

I've done enough NYC the past few years to say I can almost 100% gaurantee it's the modded "ebike" (more like electric scooter, not a pedal assist as we call an ebike) delivery bike like someone posted on the previous page.   Infact, my team and I saw one burning in the snow last January.

Most of them are crappy cheap chinese hub motors with the cheapest possible batteries living the hardest possible life.   I'd also not call them ebikes but electric motor bicycles (or something).

That said, Instagram keeps sharing a pic of a burned out Levo.  Would love to know the story behind it.

4 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Don't see anything wrong with the article?
Pretty straight forward.  

"But the Fire Department already sees faulty after-market batteries as a problem, Flynn told the Daily News.
Replacements, and not the batteries that originally come with scooters, are usually the ones to catch fire, he explained. “The most important thing to do is to stick with the manufacturer’s recommended batteries,”

So true - Big, reputable, manufacturers go to the ends of the earth to ensure that their chargers and batteries are safe. Just look at the reputation damage that Samsung suffered when a few of their batteries burst into flames. 

On 8/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, SwissVan said:

Lots of E-bikes in my neck of the planet and I’ve not heard of any battery fires, there are mostly news reports of accidents attributed to the speed of E-bikes.

Sooooooo..... who else leaves their cell phone on charge at night while they sleep ???? ????

Phone, iPad, Mac, airpods, watch. Happy to charge them all