tow bar bike rack advice

Malcolm Cullen

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a tow bar mounted bike carrier that can take 4 bikes. 1 is a full sus MTB so I have a preference for a carrier that you put the wheels on rather than a hanging bike rack.

I am seeing this bike rack from boatssa advertised everywhere, and wondered if anyone has any reviews of it. It is cheaper than the rest of the market so not expecting it to have the quality build of a thule

BICYCLE RACK 4 CARRIER TOW BALL MTG | BOATSSA.COM

Thanks
Malcolm

Hi @Coppi and bike experienced peeps

Please can you advice on the following: (before you laugh at my questions, note I learnt to ride a bicycle in 2021, 1.5m, bought 2 entry level hardtails for my child and I this month, and now need to transport these bikes)

• Is the bike rack easy to get onto and off the towbar?
  • Do you know if your bike rack came assembled and if not was it easy to put together? (not blessed with screw driver and spanner skills)
  • Are the components easy to replace? (just incase a wall drives into my bumper)
  • How do you lock your bikes to keep it safe as there is a towbar lock but no mention of a bike lock?

Apologies for hijacking your request Malcolm.  I am also in the market for an affordable bike carrier to fit my towbar.

I gave my three bike rack away when I got my new Trek and the advice was not to transport carbon bikes on this type of rack without a specific attachment . 

2 hours ago, Kay18 said:

Hi @Coppi and bike experienced peeps

Please can you advice on the following: (before you laugh at my questions, note I learnt to ride a bicycle in 2021, 1.5m, bought 2 entry level hardtails for my child and I this month, and now need to transport these bikes)

• Is the bike rack easy to get onto and off the towbar?
  • Do you know if your bike rack came assembled and if not was it easy to put together? (not blessed with screw driver and spanner skills)
  • Are the components easy to replace? (just incase a wall drives into my bumper)
  • How do you lock your bikes to keep it safe as there is a towbar lock but no mention of a bike lock?

Apologies for hijacking your request Malcolm.  I am also in the market for an affordable bike carrier to fit my towbar.

Kay welcome to the world of cycling.

There are so many option to transport your bikes.  :thumbup:

Just for easy of reference I will be linking to Thule for the different "TYPES" of bike racks .... most of these are available from a range of other suppliers.

"Boot/lid" mounted - https://thulestore.co.za/racks-carriers/bike-racks/rear-door-bike-racks

They have a very wide range ... noting these are "car specific".  Also, many cars don not accommodate these carriers.  Very possible that you may sustain minor scratches on your car from the straps ....

PROS - very affordable.  Pack away small.

Towbar mounted - hanging racks - https://thulestore.co.za/thule-xpress-2-3258

Some of the cheapest racks.  Packs away the smallest of all.  Some frame shapes are tricky to mount ....

CONS - You WILL need pool noodles to protect the bikes  (then again, that also applies to Boot\lid mounted type)

Towbar mounted - platform racks - https://thulestore.co.za/thule-euroway-g2

EASIEST for loading the bikes :clap:

But these racks weight around 20kg, and can be a clumsy weight to move about and place on the towbar .... takes a LOT of space in your garage ....

Best protection for the bikes.

PROS - fits any and all vehicles with a towbar .... carrier for life.

ROOF mounted - https://thulestore.co.za/racks-carriers/bike-racks/roof-bike-racks

Certainly the BEST carrier we have had :thumbup:  

But also the most tricky to mount the bikes above the car .... especially if it is a high car and you are as short as I ... :whistling:

SECURITY .... The platform racks and roof mounted units come with lockable "grips" .... bikes are stolen off of these REGULARLY !!! :cursing:  DONT leave your bikes on ANY of these racks unattended !!!!  CHAIN and padlock stops the opportunistic thieves, but your bikes are very exposed !!

In the end we opted for a vehicle where I can keep both bikes inside the car .... then again, I do take my car with on work trips, where it would be totally impossible to leave it mounted outside on a bike rack.

Summary .... On any given day at the trails about 55% of vehicles have boot mounted racks, and about 40% have towbar mounted platform racks.

Starting out .... if the budget allows, get a platform rack, otherwise consider buying one of these second hand --- https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/bike-racks/491569/holdfast-2-bike-carrier

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Just for easy of reference I will be linking to Thule for the different "TYPES" of bike racks .... most of these are available from a range of other suppliers.

"Boot/lid" mounted - https://thulestore.co.za/racks-carriers/bike-racks/rear-door-bike-racks

They have a very wide range ... noting these are "car specific".  Also, many cars don not accommodate these carriers.  Very possible that you may sustain minor scratches on your car from the straps ....

Some of the cheapest racks.  Packs away the smallest of all.  Some frame shapes are tricky to mount ....

CONS - You WILL need pool noodles to protect the bikes  (then again, that also applies to Boot\lid mounted type)

But these racks weight around 20kg, and can be a clumsy weight to move about and place on the towbar .... takes a LOT of space in your garage ....

ROOF mounted - https://thulestore.co.za/racks-carriers/bike-racks/roof-bike-racks

But also the most tricky to mount the bikes above the car .... especially if it is a high car and you are as short as I ... :whistling:

SECURITY .... The platform racks and roof mounted units come with lockable "grips" .... bikes are stolen off of these REGULARLY !!! :cursing:  DONT leave your bikes on ANY of these racks unattended !!!!  CHAIN and padlock stops the opportunistic thieves, but your bikes are very exposed !!

In the end we opted for a vehicle where I can keep both bikes inside the car .... then again, I do take my car with on work trips, where it would be totally impossible to leave it mounted outside on a bike rack.

Summary .... On any given day at the trails about 55% of vehicles have boot mounted racks, and about 40% have towbar mounted platform racks.

Starting out .... if the budget allows, get a platform rack, otherwise consider buying one of these second hand --- https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/bike-racks/491569/holdfast-2-bike-carrier

This is some good advice.

Some other important points:

Even though a "4 bike rack" in theory can take 4 bikes, it's often a mission, especially with mountain bikes due to their wide handlebars. Get used to playing tetris every time you want to load bikes. Even just getting 2 bikes on a 2 bike rack can be tricky. Get some pool noodles and some straps/bungy cords to keep your bikes from being destroyed

Depending on the car and your bar width, you might not be able to get a mountain bike on the first slot on the rack. My handlebars touch the rear window of my SUV if I put it on the first spot on my thule platform rack. A hanging rack might solve this by allowing you to turn your handlebars.

Regarding a 4 bike rack, check the maximum weight capacity of your towbar. Mine is 80kg (which I think is the norm). 4 Mountain bikes could easily be 65kg, and the rack linked in the OP (original post) is 15kg, so you're on the limit. Also check the racks weight rating - 60kg in the case of the OP. Depending on your bikes, that might be a problem.  

Pay attention to where your exhaust is. Wouldn't want hot exhaust fumes on your carbon wheels on a long trip. 

Security - I wouldn't trust 90% of the "built in" locks in bike racks, especially not the thule "lock knobs". I'd also try make sure I get a rack that locks to the towbar somehow. (I see this as a major downside to "boot mounted" racks - you can steal the entire thing and all the bikes by just cutting the straps with a pair of scissors) 

Be careful when clamping carbon frames. Carbon is very weak when you clamp a tube of it, so this should never be done. Make sure that whatever rack you get works for the bikes you want to carry. (The platform/rooftop racks are nice for this because the bike is held in place by clamping the wheels, and the clamp on the frame is mostly just for stability)

Hiehie ....

Had to smile last weekend at Bloemendal ....

Gent had one bike on the platform rack when we got to our car.

Both our bikes were packed away and ready to go .... and he was still wrestling with the third bike on the platform rack ....

It is EASY to fit the bikes on these racks, it really is.  BUT, it is just as easy to get yourself all tangled up .... PLAN that first bike !!! Pedal at the car HIGH, thus a low pedal and out the way for bike 2 .... the frame of the first bike should leave space for the bars to the other bikes .... from here it is easy.

And get those straps out the way FIRST ...

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Thank you so much for explaining the difference. I really appreciate it.

I initially wanted a roof/ bakkie bin rack but the armadillo on my bakkie prevents it from being installed.

I know I need a light platform. Was thinking of a 3 bike platform for my kids friend if they tag along. I don’t want to spend more than R7k on it. 

I am looking for an affordable platform. Buzz rack, Marvel,… The one the poster initially eluded to is 13-14kg and extremely reasonable. I tried picking up the Buzzrack at Solomons and the Buzzrack won. 

I was at Thule on the weekend. Would love their product but I have overspent. 

I note your comment on the security offerings being more of a deterrent. So I will be more cautious.

55 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

This is some good advice.

Some other important points:

Even though a "4 bike rack" in theory can take 4 bikes, it's often a mission, especially with mountain bikes due to their wide handlebars. Get used to playing tetris every time you want to load bikes. Even just getting 2 bikes on a 2 bike rack can be tricky. Get some pool noodles and some straps/bungy cords to keep your bikes from being destroyed

Depending on the car and your bar width, you might not be able to get a mountain bike on the first slot on the rack. My handlebars touch the rear window of my SUV if I put it on the first spot on my thule platform rack. A hanging rack might solve this by allowing you to turn your handlebars.

Regarding a 4 bike rack, check the maximum weight capacity of your towbar. Mine is 80kg (which I think is the norm). 4 Mountain bikes could easily be 65kg, and the rack linked in the OP (original post) is 15kg, so you're on the limit. Also check the racks weight rating - 60kg in the case of the OP. Depending on your bikes, that might be a problem.  

Pay attention to where your exhaust is. Wouldn't want hot exhaust fumes on your carbon wheels on a long trip. 

Security - I wouldn't trust 90% of the "built in" locks in bike racks, especially not the thule "lock knobs". I'd also try make sure I get a rack that locks to the towbar somehow. (I see this as a major downside to "boot mounted" racks - you can steal the entire thing and all the bikes by just cutting the straps with a pair of scissors) 

Be careful when clamping carbon frames. Carbon is very weak when you clamp a tube of it, so this should never be done. Make sure that whatever rack you get works for the bikes you want to carry. (The platform/rooftop racks are nice for this because the bike is held in place by clamping the wheels, and the clamp on the frame is mostly just for stability)

Good advice. Thank you. My son has a 29”small and I have a 650B small. Hopefully I don’t end up with packing and stacking issues.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

What vehicle is this by the way? Do you have to take wheels off? MTB or road bikes?

7 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

What vehicle is this by the way? Do you have to take wheels off? MTB or road bikes?

Our requirements were two bike, while still having three seats ....

A combi or Caddy Maxy would be ideal ....

We also considered double cab bakkies .... at 1,5m the bak is too short.  

Fortuner ... with one second row seat folded up it is too short ... unbolting a seat and making it a permanent 3-seater could have worked ...

Everest ... the seats fold flat and provides the longest load bay ... but also the least height, not enough ...

The Toyota Rush had the best dimensions ... but, damn, the worst driving experience ....

I was surprised to find that the Suzuki Ertiga has the length and height required.  I unbolted the 7th seath and made mounting points for the bikes.

With the two bikes in the car we have three seats.

Without the bikes it takes 30 seconds to remove one bracket and it is a 6 seater car.

Yes, front wheels are removed, and dropper seat post is used to limit the height.

I have a Caddy maxi.

It can fit two bikes in with wheels on and 5 seats in play.

You might struggle to do this with two larger 29er's, but there are plenty of ideas online to make these into a superb bike van.

16 hours ago, BigDL said:

I gave my three bike rack away when I got my new Trek and the advice was not to transport carbon bikes on this type of rack without a specific attachment . 

The frame clamps are there to hold the bikes in place and not to clamp them down. 

The wheel straps secure the bike. 

Two carbon bikes are transported twice every week for the past year with not even a sign of scuffing the paint. 

Don’t believe the marketing hype designed to sell you more accessories. 

i have the Thule velo compact which is essentially a 3 bike rack, but I have fitted the 4 adaptor.

We weekly carry 4 mountain bikes on it with no issues.

We have a system down pat. Its not the gospel but it works for us. Bottom line is you need a system and you need to stick to it.

Order of bikes

we go

big bike

small bike

small bike

big bike

the first 2 go handle bars to left

the last 2 handle bars to right

and on each bike make sure the pedal is at bottom on the side the next bike goes.

with a system its a breeze

things to watch are pedals against spokes and chain rings and cassettes and derailleurs against other bikes 

edit

never trust locks on bike racks i always carry a cable lock, doesn't mean i leave bikes unattended but cant grab bikes at intersection when stopped.

Edited by rorydewet
additional info