Cape Epic 2021 happening?

david@bikeshop.co.ke

Hey SA MTB'ers . . .

The organizers said 60 days prior to the event starting 17th there would be an announcement . . . 

What's the COVID status in South Africa at the moment? Are you guys racing other events, are they going ahead?

Thanks a lot!

David Carroll.
Emotionally fatigued and stressed 2021 rider from Kenya.

Events are being cancelled all the time but some are going ahead. it depends on the approvals from various municipalities.

Only the CE events office knows what's happening re the 2021 event. I believe 60days will only be around the 18th of August so probably wise to set tight and wait for an announcement in the next couple of days

Edited by DieselnDust
got the math wrong as start date for CE is 17th October not 24th

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 10:48 AM, david@bikeshop.co.ke said:

Hey SA MTB'ers . . .

The organizers said 60 days prior to the event starting 17th there would be an announcement . . . 

What's the COVID status in South Africa at the moment? Are you guys racing other events, are they going ahead?

Thanks a lot!

David Carroll.
Emotionally fatigued and stressed 2021 rider from Kenya.

I asked the organizzation and they told me.... Rider Communication #11 applies. Bellow main contents of that Communication:

"While you and your partner have been focused on your training for The Race That Measures All, we have remained committed to doing everything we can to ensure the 2021 Absa Cape Epic takes place safely from 17-24 October and that we offer you the very best MTB experience. We are on track to do just that and will be ready for you later this year! Understandably though, with a few necessary changes to what you would normally expect at an Absa Cape Epic.

In addition to the implementation of the 5 key principles of our Return to Trails policy in all areas of the event, we will continue working with the relevant authorities to ensure compliance with government regulations. We ask that all riders adhere to the safety protocols in place at the time of the event and we will provide more clarity on any such regulations and/or safety protocols as the event draws nearer ..."

So Cape Epic is going ahead.

For the moment. 

Iker A (will be there if it takes place)

this edition going ahead will be like a Ross and Rachel on a break and pomping again cycle for the next 2 months. i think it will happen, but it won't be like it was before 

Neat insight here; 
http://www.treadmtb.co.za/expect-a-very-different-2021-absa-cape-epic/

"...... Unlike previous Cape Epics, this one will be very different. Instead of more than 600 teams (around 1300 riders) there will be a significantly pared down field of 250 teams (500 riders). The event normally has an international rider contingent of around 45-50%. This year it will be around 25%. .... "

9 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Neat insight here; 
http://www.treadmtb.co.za/expect-a-very-different-2021-absa-cape-epic/

"...... Unlike previous Cape Epics, this one will be very different. Instead of more than 600 teams (around 1300 riders) there will be a significantly pared down field of 250 teams (500 riders). The event normally has an international rider contingent of around 45-50%. This year it will be around 25%. .... "

So from about 650 international riders down to maybe 125 .... :eek:

And with SA still on the "red list" for so many countries it remains to be seen how many actually do arive for the event ....

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

So from about 650 international riders down to maybe 125 .... :eek:

And with SA still on the "red list" for so many countries it remains to be seen how many actually do arive for the event ....

SA is no longer on the red list for a lot of countries, we’ve moved onto “high rest but no longer a varient concern” 

Places like the UK who are still a bit backward in their reasonings, which raise more questions than answers. But that’s another discussion altogether.

Interesting that they limited the riders to 500…

was this voluntary or a condition of operating license? If it was more affordable would they have more local entries?

13 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Interesting that they limited the riders to 500…

was this voluntary or a condition of operating license? If it was more affordable would they have more local entries?

We have an entry and are preparing .I reckon there might even be less than 500 .We had an option to postpone before the 10th august .So far no other communication .If the WC is on level 1 ,then 500 riders .Will WC be on level 1 in October is the big Question .Personally i don't think level 1 in 5 weeks is realistic . 

Edited by eala

On 8/26/2021 at 10:04 AM, eala said:

We have an entry and are preparing .I reckon there might even be less than 500 .We had an option to postpone before the 10th august .So far no other communication .If the WC is on level 1 ,then 500 riders .Will WC be on level 1 in October is the big Question .Personally i don't think level 1 in 5 weeks is realistic . 

Yes, that is the Big Question. As international rider, I find difficult to follow closely the COVID situation in Western Cape. I guess there are different levels, and currently WC is in level 3, right? Dropping 2 levels in a bit more than a months… looks quite difficult. 

Anyhow, even with level 1, and 250 teams,… I see some contradictory information. If you check the Cape Epic 2021 Team list (in mobile app “Epic series”, you will see there are around 340+ teams registered. And the Pro teams are missing (and they will be on the start line for sure). Take another 20-25 teams…. How are they going to make the cut to 250 teams? Are some of the teams registered in provisional status or something?

We are preparing for the race. Training, travel arrangements, flights, etc… I do not want to have another last-minute-cancellation or postponement as with Cape Epic 2020 (we were already in Cape Town in March 2020). Hope the organisation plays responsably.

Question: 

Cape Epic 2021 will be limitd to x number of riders based on which authority:

• A - South African national 
  • B - Western Cape
  • C - Local municipalities 
  • D - Most restrictive of above 3 

image.png.a952195fdeac8e3fd262b524ad07bf91.png

I can see situation is improving, ... but I do not know if fast enough. 

Still in Alarm level 3 in South Africa and less than 6 weeks for race start....

how do you see it?

On 8/29/2021 at 8:13 PM, ikerarri said:

Yes, that is the Big Question. As international rider, I find difficult to follow closely the COVID situation in Western Cape. I guess there are different levels, and currently WC is in level 3, right? Dropping 2 levels in a bit more than a months… looks quite difficult. 

Anyhow, even with level 1, and 250 teams,… I see some contradictory information. If you check the Cape Epic 2021 Team list (in mobile app “Epic series”, you will see there are around 340+ teams registered. And the Pro teams are missing (and they will be on the start line for sure). Take another 20-25 teams…. How are they going to make the cut to 250 teams? Are some of the teams registered in provisional status or something?

We are preparing for the race. Training, travel arrangements, flights, etc… I do not want to have another last-minute-cancellation or postponement as with Cape Epic 2020 (we were already in Cape Town in March 2020). Hope the organisation plays responsably.

Alot of the registered teams you see on the Epic App series are not updated. Many have moved to 2022 and 2023 so the 340+ teams are not all correct

9 hours ago, Bike2Bed said:

Alot of the registered teams you see on the Epic App series are not updated. Many have moved to 2022 and 2023 so the 340+ teams are not all correct

We are preparing as if we are riding on 17 October. If it is only us we will have all the trails to ourselves   

1 hour ago, eala said:

We are preparing as if we are riding on 17 October. If it is only us we will have all the trails to ourselves   

Nice! I like your attitude!

Chris

Ok,... from today, South Africa is on Alert level 2. 

I thought that meant 250 people maximum in outdoor gatherings... but seems that it is modified to 500 people... is it correct?

So that means that the Cape Epic has a pretty good chance to happen on October 17th? We are all in for the race!

level-2-2021-2.jpeg