Cape Epic 2021 happening?

david@bikeshop.co.ke

16 minutes ago, ikerarri said:

Ok,... from today, South Africa is on Alert level 2. 

I thought that meant 250 people maximum in outdoor gatherings... but seems that it is modified to 500 people... is it correct?

So that means that the Cape Epic has a pretty good chance to happen on October 17th? We are all in for the race!

level-2-2021-2.jpeg

Yes this chart is correct.

41 minutes ago, ikerarri said:

I thought that meant 250 people maximum in outdoor gatherings... but seems that it is modified to 500 people... is it correct?

So that means that the Cape Epic has a pretty good chance to happen on October 17th? We are all in for the race!

level-2-2021-2.jpeg

i don't think it is coincidence that Epic and Argus were scheduled for the same timeperiod. they put a lot of thought and forecasts into when would be the most likely time between infection waves and came up with this months back.

Well done to them as it looks like they got it right.

I'm guessing that the deal Kevin Vermaak had with his sale of the event pre-covid would definitely have included metrics on the event going forward. Epic not happening this years would naturally be a big issue in terms of the return on his sale.

I doubt CTCTT and ACE did any forecasting but rather took their cue from the Dept. of Health and the Western Cape government. They would likely have received first preference wrt available dates and the issuing of preliminary event licenses due to the economic value to the Western Cape the two events bring.... (but you know a little bicycle races don't have any impact) even at reduced number (some income is better than nothing at all).

Squirrel mentioned they're considering implementing the vaccine passport but I believe the UK gov rolled back their plans to implement this. 

It will make thing interesting having tourists arrive in SA with SA businesses screaming Vac passport and some of the European countries are on again off again with the pass. welcome to the new normal

6 minutes ago, copperhead said:

You just won't be able to buy sandals or smoke at the waterpoints. Or any other new rules they dream up between now and then.

no man thats so last year. Just go to the Malawian corner Steenberg and main and he'll sort you out

29 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I doubt CTCTT and ACE did any forecasting but rather took their cue from the Dept. of Health and the Western Cape government. They would likely have received first preference wrt available dates and the issuing of preliminary event licenses due to the economic value to the Western Cape the two events bring.... (but you know a little bicycle races don't have any impact) even at reduced number (some income is better than nothing at all).

I doubt your doubt. there's no way they thumbsucked this one.

Cape Epic 2021 was for March 2021, in Dec 2020 they pushed it out to October 2021.

As we were just entering the local 2nd wave then, I think they put a lot of resources into scenario planning and chose to rather wait on vacicne rollouts internationally and then locally. They then would have looked at predicting a dip between the expected 3rd and 4th waves locally.

3 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I doubt your doubt. there's no way they thumbsucked this one.

Cape Epic 2021 was for March 2021, in Dec 2020 they pushed it out to October 2021.

As we were just entering the local 2nd wave then, I think they put a lot of resources into scenario planning and chose to rather wait on vacicne rollouts internationally and then locally. They then would have looked at predicting a dip between the expected 3rd and 4th waves locally.

I doubt your doubting my doubt Doubtfire….Dept of Health had already conducted projections last year. This work was done in conjunction with other health ministries around the world. The WC gov would have had access to this info and been in a position to offer both events a more suitable window of opportunity that would fit in with the trough between waves and projected vaccine roll out. The dates were secured before any vaccine allocations were known to the public. So they had to have had the inside track on this.

not sure where I suggested anyone thumbsucked anything , in fact I didn’t so why Thumb sucking thumb sucking that isn’t there?

think about it, if the ctct and cape epic forecasters are so good why do then need to bother with “what’s the weather for Argus/cape epic” threads on bike hub. This place would shut down tomorrow if that was the case. Whats the weather threads are the lifeblood of cycling forums in SA

20 minutes ago, babse said:

so can Rhodes Mem open now or is the fire still burning?

Heading into fire season now so there’s that

14 hours ago, ikerarri said:

level-2-2021-2.jpeg

That 120k asking price...