Is it available ?????

Mett

I hardly sell.

I mainly buy.

To me asking about availability is a start to a dialogue.

The answer can tell you lots about the seller.

If he cant be bothered to reply look elsewhere. If he engages he is keen to sell.

I have also had instances where I have asked detailed questions about a product and gone some way down the street with the seller only to be told you are number 5 in the order other guys are interested.

I don't think there is a wrong or right way to do this it depends on people, their needs and other factors like how good is the item.

However as stated here once you have both agreed on the transaction then its binding and if either party pulls out that should be flagged on a rating system.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Facebook Marketplace is loaded with those, I was a lot more suprised by the fact that there are hubbers who actually do that.

3 minutes ago, ichnusa said:

It’s an icebreaker, an intro… not worth stress

However 9 out of 10 times. its an into, middle and end... buyers leave it at that, and you never hear from them again..

17 minutes ago, King Pluto said:

Facebook Marketplace is loaded with those, I was a lot more suprised by the fact that there are hubbers who actually do that.

That's because most people's default message on marketplace is set to; "Hello, is it still available." So you literally just have to push send.

Personally I respond to all msgs irrespective of what happens going forward.

Yes, "is it available" can be frustrating, but it's part of Hub activity.

Likewise, if I've initiated contacted, I will also conclude eg. "thanks for the info but ..."

Everybody won't deal with it the same, but that's also ok.

Woosah ...

2 hours ago, 100Tours said:

just say yes. sometimes people can't make up their mind on buying ????

I always answer because I see it as part of their online window-shopping process.
If they respond to that, then we flesh out the details as the conversation proceeds.

What makes me grind my teeth is the 'will you accept less than 50% of your asking price ?' with no howzit or intro even a name.
I feel more inclined to ignore, respond with a middle finger emoji or a 'no' , if I am in a good mood. It takes a lot of patience to respond with a reasoning on what a reasonable offer might be. That did eventually lead to a sale, but the guy short paid me by R50 because he 'misread my message'.

It seems that general politeness and manners in short supply out in the market place. There is no dinner and drinks before you get screwed.

Using "is it available" to start a dialogue is perfectly fine.

I dont see an issue to respond "yes it is" to every one of those unless you are being spammed.

However whats worse is when you get ghosted after concluding the deal and the buyer is on his way to view but never pitches or when they "quickly going to draw cash at the ATM" but never returns.

Just saying its completely fine to test ride, inspect, ask questions etc and if you decide you dont want the product at the very end then just say so. Its not like im forcing you into marriage after youve taken my V card

not on the hub, but FB marketplace, "do you deliver" .  What the actual F ?

But it does seem that most people dont bother reading ads anywhere, they see the pic and the price and just respond.

Also had a lady last night, "is it available and can you courier to cape town", disappeared very quickly when I said I'm happy to courier if she pays the courier fees.

12 minutes ago, bertusras said:

In fairness, I've had more than a few encounters with adverts where I was ready to pay where the response was "Sorry it's sold". 

Then 'please update your flipping ad' is a good response to that ????

3 minutes ago, splat said:

Then 'please update your flipping ad' is a good response to that ????

Yeah, and the Sh8tty responses I've had to a simple 'probably best to pull the ad down to save people hassling you' make that a joyous idea. 

I've now issue with 'is it available?' it's a pretty valid question. No point launching into a 'where can I see it, blah, blah' if the one just goes. Sorry it's sold. It's basically the same as people saying they can't be bothered to answer people who ask that question as it's a waste of time. Look, it takes no time to just go, 'yup it's for sale and maybe let them know where you're based. Literally it take a couple of moments and way less than having read through this thread. It also might get the thing sold sooner and people aren't going to waste your time asking you more questions in the future. It costs nothing to be polite. I can't get the mind set of wanting to sell something then acting like it's the biggest ball ache ever. You wanted to sell it. If it's a hassle then don't. 

My world doesn't crumble if someone doesn't come back to me after I tell them that it is for sale. I'm not expecting a big 'thanks so much for taking timeout of your day to answer me' reply. It's not something I've ever thought of 'how do we stop this transgression'. 

Obviously people saying they'll buy it then disappearing, or people not turning up to view (or not dropping a line to say they aren't coming) is a different matter. Much like guys who say commit to the sale and then try to get you in a bidding war or sell to some else. 

End of the day, 'is it available' is a fine icebreaker and a perfectly nice enquiry in a world where ALOT of items aren't still for sale and people don't pull those down / mark as sold / pending etc. Not like the guys have opened up with a 'hey D8ckhead, what do you think this piece of k&k is that you're trying to pass off as a world class item. I wouldn't pay that if I was the last clown on earth. Hope you slip and fall into a vat of rabid guinea pigs all wearing masks with your moms face on,  you fetid, lycra wearing, knob jockey '.