Mountain bike riding style filter not only for dual-suspension

martinza

It would be nice to be able to select the "riding style" filter aka Marathon or Trail for all mountain bikes, currently this is only available for dual-suspension mtbs. A hardtail can be a trail bike too :)

Is there a feature request page for bikehub?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, martinza said:

It would be nice to be able to select the "riding style" filter aka Marathon or Trail for all mountain bikes, currently this is only available for dual-suspension mtbs. A hardtail can be a trail bike too :)

Is there a feature request page for bikehub?

Yes, you get awesome hardtail trail bikes, but I highly doubt you gonna find many in the classifieds here. Wrong audience I’m afraid.

1 hour ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I second this, hardtails make some of the best trail bikes and we need more people on hardtails!

Couldn’t agree more, but when the entire hardtail offering available locally consists of either cheap entry level XC bikes, or ultra rare, super expensive ultralight XCO weapons ,you aren’t going to see that anytime soon. Ossie NL comments below is a case in point.

26 minutes ago, Ossie NL said:

Hmmm ^^^^ NO!!!!!

XCO maybe but trail ....   Aikona Baba

Look a little beyond your nearest Cycle Lab or Spez concept store - Hard-tails are amazing trail machines, and fun, and can provide a lot of bang for your buck enjoyment.

here is some light reading to hopefully teach you the error of your ways: (read that in comic sans please)

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFeMAX

https://www.ninerbikes.com/products/sir-9/

https://nukeproof.com/products/2021-scout-275

https://vitusbikes.com/collections/sentier/products/vitus-sentier-29-vrx-mountain-bike

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-ZA/bikes/chameleon

and that is only scratching the surface…

in Europe almost every enduro race has a fully subscribed Hardtail category. The mega-avalanche has a good deal of riders on 130-160mm Hardtails. Trail Hardtails make amazing bike packing/Touring rigs if you want to get off the gravel on your bike packing adventure. 

I may be stirring a hornets nest here, so I am NOT telling anyone what to ride or what NOT to ride, just simply quoting my experience whereby I feel like hardtail is too much of a compromise. I don't mind pedalling the extra weight of a dualsuss, (I am not a small guy either) up a climb, and I love the compliance and ability to jump stuff over a meter even with only 120/100mm travel. I find I also get better traction on bump climbs and less fatigued on long rides. Some people love HT but I get close enough when I have to lock my fork/shock, something I don't do often.

Cost wise, I would take a good 2nd hand dualsuss over a new HT, and I would rather ride an alu dualsuss than a carbon HT.

I don't see this as "stirring the hornet's nest" as much as stating your personal preference.

Stirring is telling people that their preference is wrong.

A full-sus is objectively better that a hardtail, just as a GTI is better than a Citi Golf.

Many people love the challenge of riding a bike that allows them to push the limits on every trail and there are skilled riders that will take a hardtail down places that ordinary riders wouldn't dare, on any type of bike.

I loved my hardtail and feel that it helped me to develop my skills under accelerated conditions because you've got to learn fast to keep up with downhill bikes. Full suspensions are inherently more forgiving and so you don't have to be as precise when riding gnarly trails.

There's a place for both of these.

In a market like ours, where short travel full sus bikes, which are seldom used beyond gravel roads, dominate, hardtail offer a taste of lightheartedness and fun. Always a good thing IMO.

5 hours ago, love2fly said:

I may be stirring a hornets nest here, so I am NOT telling anyone what to ride or what NOT to ride, just simply quoting my experience whereby I feel like hardtail is too much of a compromise. I don't mind pedalling the extra weight of a dualsuss, (I am not a small guy either) up a climb, and I love the compliance and ability to jump stuff over a meter even with only 120/100mm travel. I find I also get better traction on bump climbs and less fatigued on long rides. Some people love HT but I get close enough when I have to lock my fork/shock, something I don't do often.

Cost wise, I would take a good 2nd hand dualsuss over a new HT, and I would rather ride an alu dualsuss than a carbon HT.

Since we are stirring and all - Dirt Jump bikes are Hardtails, running a max of 100mm travel, but normally only 80mm, on coil spring forks, using 26inch wheels. I don’t know about you, but this looks like a lot more than a metre to me? (Sorry, picture didn’t load earlier)

I’m stirring now, and I also don’t want to imply that dual sussers make no sense. They all do certain things very well. I love me 100mm dual sus XC bike, and it’s the reason I would never even consider a gravel bike. Because to me it does everything a gravel bike does, and a whole lot more. But the OP asked about HT trail bikes, and the next post popped up to say HT can’t be good trail bikes. That kind of thinking is seriously flawed. Just like you would rather have a Allu Dual sus instead of a carbon HT, For trail riding I will rather have an affordable allu hardtail trail bike instead of a top of the range dual sus XC bike. I’m willing to put money down that my 140mm 27.5 Hardtail trail bike is less compromised in technical trail, either climbing or descending, than your dual sus is. I know for a fact it’s less compromised  than my my carbon dual sus XC bike.

EA324C97-2A40-45C6-A398-E9515B28B0FC.jpeg

Edited by DonatelloOnPinarello
Photo did not load

3 hours ago, Thermophage said:

Damn straight they do :D

Still some clean heads this early in the week 

I also find the categories for bike type a bit too Seffrican and not real world enough. A HT, especially a steel one makes a great trail/enduro bike if you're prepared to ride it properly and develop some muscles you don't usually need on a dual sus. If you've never ridden or owned a trail/enduro HT then asseblief please don't make a fool of yourself by commenting on something you know nothing about. Then again this is Bikehub, so you may as well carry on ????