Transporting MTB on gravel roads

Hendel Clase

I recently acquired a hardtail and hope to take it with us on holidays in the future, I also bought a Thule Express 2 rack. Now usually I prefer the dirt roads to the tar roads when traveling, hence my question, what can one do on the bike to protect it against the extra dust and stones? Thinking maybe just the critical parts, such as the drivetrain and disc brakes, the rest should really just wipe of. Also concerned about dust getting in between the frame and the rack rubber holds and rubbing off my paint.

Any advice welcome! 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

the bike will be fine

Agreed.

The amount of dust and stones that will get kicked up and work its way into every nook and cranny when you ride is way more then will ever get close to the bike when it is transported. 

If you are worried about the frame where it touches the "carrier" apply some dedicated bike protection film or buy a sheet of quality vinyl, cut it into a pleasing shape and apply over the area whenever required.

I've been trying to find an answer to this question for years. I hate having a clean bike when I load it and when I want to start the ride the bike is COVERED in dust. 

When I know I have longer distances to travel before a ride I load the bike in my car, but obviously that's bot always possible.

So what I do is ensure that the bike can't swing/move in any way to reduce the risk of paint damage. I do this by tieing the crank and wheels down to the rack with an old tube. Not 100% effective but works well enough for me

Don't lube your chain etc before starting your trip. 

Put some frame protections on the areas where the clamps attach to the frame

Wrap some cloth around the fork stanchions to keep excessive dust for packing around the seals. 

Other than that don't sweat it too much. 

Also I have found that old tubes, if you have any lying around, are excellent for securing your bike. Just cut them up to size and use them to secure your bike to rack or hold any cloth or foam in place. 

2 hours ago, Hendel Clase said:

Thanks for these tips, appreciated

A bit too late as you have already purchased the rack, but if keeping your bike clean & dust free is a big issue for you get yourself a roof rack, makes a massive difference in keeping your bike clean on gravel roads

Had the same issue. Went to a mtb race in Mpumalanga with 3 nice clean bikes on the rack....only to find the last 15km were gravel and lots of oncoming farmers sending their bakkies....had to wash bikes again...

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

A bit too late as you have already purchased the rack, but if keeping your bike clean & dust free is a big issue for you get yourself a roof rack, makes a massive difference in keeping your bike clean on gravel roads

With all respect, I detest roof mounted options, but your comment is valid, as I can think this option would be the least dust...

7 minutes ago, Hendel Clase said:

With all respect, I detest roof mounted options, but your comment is valid, as I can think this option would be the least dust...

I hear you, I was always very anti-roof rack until I was forced to take the option because I wanted to tow a trailer as well. In Nowadays I prefer a roof rack when I know I will be travelling on gravel roads, very nice to get to your destination and your bike is not looking like you already did a stage race through mud & dust.

just wait until you arrive at the start line for a road race and your and all the bikes around you look like they've just cycled across the sahara. 

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

I hear you, I was always very anti-roof rack until I was forced to take the option because I wanted to tow a trailer as well. In Nowadays I prefer a roof rack when I know I will be travelling on gravel roads, very nice to get to your destination and your bike is not looking like you already did a stage race through mud & dust.

I have a Trapezium Bike Rack (Hang-on style, bought 18 years ago) ... I can put 3 bikes on the rack and tow a trailer - happy days????

I have had the exact same problem, I stay on a small holding and purchased a Thuli towbar trailer to be able to transport my MTB and Road bike and to the various tracks like a Boss. The MTB not so much but when getting to a ride with your new Bianchi road bike that now looks like you have used it as a gravel bike is a little disheartening.

To solve this issue I found a Dust Protective bike cover on Takealot for R350, slipped it over the gearbox and wheels and ...wallah

Protective Slip-on Anti Dust Bicycle Cover _ Buy Online in South Africa _ takealot.com.html