Transporting MTB on gravel roads

Hendel Clase

4 minutes ago, Graham W said:

More importantly the Thule x press manual dose not recommend travel on dirt roads. Suggest that you source another rack that is suitable 

Well, it will have to do Graham as the budget does not stretch that far.

Thanks to all the others for the feedback, it got my brain going on a few ideas. This will be once, maybe twice a year, so not a deal breaker, and my main concern is the chain and gears, so if one can keep the dost of that, and then just rinse the bike at your destination, all should be fine. Actually considering using cling wrap around the important bits, and this will only be for instances I know for a fact I want to do some gravel travel with the bike at the back. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

I've always wondered with the roof top racks... How much of an issue is the height clearance? On an SUV (like a Rav), how often is it a problem at parking lots, drive through's etc? 

I have a phobia for these things.  The only 2 people I know who have them have both driven into their garages forgetting that their bikes were on the roof.  The consequences were worse than you could imagine.  In the one case, the force bent the roof of the car.  I wonder how many people have clipped their bikes like this, or even hit tree branches?

16 hours ago, bstuart32 said:

I have had the exact same problem, I stay on a small holding and purchased a Thuli towbar trailer to be able to transport my MTB and Road bike and to the various tracks like a Boss. The MTB not so much but when getting to a ride with your new Bianchi road bike that now looks like you have used it as a gravel bike is a little disheartening.

To solve this issue I found a Dust Protective bike cover on Takealot for R350, slipped it over the gearbox and wheels and ...wallah

Protective Slip-on Anti Dust Bicycle Cover _ Buy Online in South Africa _ takealot.com.html 3.05 kB · 30 downloads

????

2 hours ago, PygaSchmyga said:

I have a phobia for these things.  The only 2 people I know who have them have both driven into their garages forgetting that their bikes were on the roof.  The consequences were worse than you could imagine.  In the one case, the force bent the roof of the car.  I wonder how many people have clipped their bikes like this, or even hit tree branches?

I am literally the type of forgetful person to which this is guaranteed to happen eventually (bike into the garage door), but up until now I have been paranoid enough to avoid it, you are certainly always aware of the bike on your roof if you only use the roof rack occasionally.

Another hubber gave a helpful hint, put your garage remote in your boot. That way you will never forget about your bike when you are in your driveway.

29 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I am literally the type of forgetful person to which this is guaranteed to happen eventually (bike into the garage door), but up until now I have been paranoid enough to avoid it, you are certainly always aware of the bike on your roof if you only use the roof rack occasionally.

Another hubber gave a helpful hint, put your garage remote in your boot. That way you will never forget about your bike when you are in your driveway.

Ah, but it didn't help a guy I knew at school who was so worried that he'd forget his bike that he put it on the roof in the garage the night before......

It is a problem .I just hose the bike and carrier off as soon as possible .The main issue is usually dust and pebbles getting into the brake calibers and shifters 

8 hours ago, PygaSchmyga said:

It happens .....

To use the roof rack you have to pull the car out of the garage, then mount the bike ..... when you close the garage, put the remote/key in the glove compartment (or some spot where you cant immediately get to it to open the door...)

The bikes shadow dancing over the bonnet kept me alert to it being on the roof.

I don't even notice sea kayaks on my roof (and they are VISIBLE from the wheel) when I pull into the garage. ????