Helmet for beginner

shafeekn@gmail.com

Hi all I finally got an entry level mountain bike. I was wondering on what is the best helmet to buy . Budget is less than 1k.

Is there any other gear that is essential for leisure riding ? 

Any recommendations please.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+helmet+sportsmans+warehouse&rlz=1C1GCEU_enZA949ZA949&oq=helmet+bicycle+sportsman&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30.8575j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Your choice is big. If you are with Discovery Vitality, you can extend your budget to R1250 providing you get 25% discount from Sportsman Warehouse.
The Titan Shredder, First Ascent Gravel, Lazer Compact and/or Giro Revel will be adequate for a beginner.

Don't let people talk you into buying a R4k helmet for when you next upgrade. If your budget is R1k, then buy something that is close to it. 

a helmet for about 1 000 is more than adequate

lots of brand names out there

i would also venture to say that you need to get a pair of gloves. sounds fancy and not for beginners but believe me when you bail and you will bail the first then you do is put downs a hand that's why you need gloves.

At sub R1000, I'd try a bunch of helmets on and buy whatever feels the most comfortable. If you want to spend more, get one with MIPS. But at that price range, I don't think there's much of a difference in protection so comfort is king. 

Other essentials... spend as much as you can afford on bib shorts. A first ascent bib is okay to start with I guess, but you really get what you pay for. I sore ass is really gonna influence how much you enjoy riding though. It's really okay to ride in a T-Shirt when you're getting started, although you might miss having jersey pockets and need to make another plan to carry your stuff with you (like a saddle bag or camelbak or top tube bag).

If you ride more technical stuff on your MTB, gloves can help you keep the skin on your hands if you fall. Scratches and bruises are one thing, but you don't want to screw your hands up. But if all you ever plan on riding is a dirt road and you're comfortable on a bike, it's probably not necessary

If you're a fan of not having rocks and dust scratching around your eyeball, some form of eye protection is important (I never ride without sunglasses). Even just clear (or shaded) safety glasses will do the trick if you're just starting out and will be dirt cheap. But this is really something to consider. Your front wheel has a way of flinging stuff into your face, so eye protection is important. On the road and on my MTB, I've had loads of stones hit my glasses. Sometimes you see it coming, but there's usually not enough time to react 

And if you're riding alone, have whatever it'll take to be able to fix a flat tyre yourself. If you're riding with someone else and you want to rely on them if anything goes wrong, just make sure you communicate that with them before hand and make sure they've got whatever you might need. So that might mean a spare tube, patches, tyre levers, and a pump. Or if you're running tubeless, a CO2 bomb and an adapter. 

Getting started can be expensive though, so don't be afraid of using the classifieds here to help save some cash. You can always sell the stuff later and get something better when you know what you want, and when you know you're gonna get a lot of use out of it. Except bibs.... 2nd hand bibs are just gross

10 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

You can get a very decent helmet and riding glasses from Decathlon for sub R1k.

I forget about them, which I should as our club rides start at our local Decathlon,

20 hours ago, rorydewet said:

i would also venture to say that you need to get a pair of gloves. sounds fancy and not for beginners but believe me when you bail and you will bail the first then you do is put downs a hand that's why you need gloves.

Too true OP.  I’m looking at a long-term scar from riding without gloves, a long and deep palm tear as I sped into the work car park too fast for me or my boss to avoid being struck.  Luckily he was driving a poxy work bakkie.  Gloves and well-fitting well-fastened helmet mostdef.

IF you can extend it to R1250, you can buy a MIPS, really well finished, super comfy helmet that is the 6th safest ever at the Virginia tech helmet rating institute;

The Spez Align 2 MIPS

https://freewheel.co.za/products/align-ii-mips

I'm a sucker for MIPS and high safety ratings for my headwear..... I have one of these after only buying 'the best' and honestly it is amazing and inexpensive.

You won't beat it re safety rating, finish and comfort at around this price point.