Surly in SA

Vetseun

Morning,

I want to place a pre order for 3 Surly Corner Bars.

So far I have been unable to find an agent in SA.

Surly contacted directly, dont respond to e mails.

Bike shops in the UK and the USA just tell me that you live in a third world shite hole. We are not willing to take the risk of sending items to you as the risk of them never arriving is too big. The bars are more likely  to end up cable tied  to the grille  of a shiny black G Wagon  that they ever would be fitted to your bike.

Surly somebody (did you see that?) here has ordered Surly items before.

If I need to import I would preferably  want to order from the US as it is half the price compared  to the UK. 

Advice  would greatly appreciated. 

Peace

Edited by Vetseun

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like import is the only option.

Best bet is if you have a mate in the UK/US. Get the bars sent to them and then they send to you?

17 minutes ago, hansolo said:

Maybe give the guys at Sprocket and Jack a call before you order online, I bought some Surly tires from them previously.

http://sprocketandjack.co.za/

@Vetseun these guys are your best bet. I know they definitely used to be Surly agents, it was even listed on the surly website. But that has since been taken down and the last time I spoke to S&J (around sept last year) they were pretty non-committal about it. Something along the lines of "We used to but just weren't getting the demand, it wasn't worthwhile, etc". But maybe if enough people ask them (you are not the first) they may start bringing stuff in again. 

As mentioned, Sprocket & Jack. Grant is your goto guy, may need to ping him a couple times though, but he is a super helpful, knowledgeable and honest person to deal with. 

1 hour ago, Vetseun said:

Morning,

Bike shops in the UK and the USA just tell me that you live in a third world shite hole. We are not willing to take the risk of sending items to you as the risk of them never arriving is too big. The bars are more likely  to end up cable tied  to the grille  of a shiny black G Wagon  that they ever would be fitted to your bike.

If I need to import I would preferably  want to order from the US as it is half the price compared  to the UK. 

Peace

i dont know which bike shops you asked but if they only offer shipping via postal services then you are better off not ordering from them in anycase because they are living in the stone age too then. 

i built a complete bike in the last 3 months from parts completly sourced from the UK,EU and US because nobody has stock of anything locally.

DHL Express or UPS is offered by plenty of oversees stores and you’ll have it at you door in under a week. 

your only other problem with those will be the fact that they are heavy (800g per) and volumetric so the bars on their own will cost a pretty penny to ship via courier. not an ussue with large orders that include frames etc.

as mentioned, Sprocket and jack used to be the local agent. they brought me in some surly bars 2 years ago. But they are not listed anymore and also as hinted …they are not the most streamlined business to deal with in this regard. communication was…difficult. 

12 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

Lemme know if you need an address in the US. I have a mate in seattle, and we can make a plan from there. 

Alternatively Aramex global shopper is another option. 

Can I add stuff to the "Seattle Mate Order" if that happens? Been eyeing a stages power meter from the states for a while... :ph34r:

@Vetseun Global shopper is probably your best bet though. You'll have to pay double VAT (first in the country you have it sent to, and then again when it lands here), but if the stuff is cheap enough overseas it still works out as a win. 

another thumbs up for aramex. I got some things from wierd places where i had to use google translate to interact haha. used aramex for those. they all got here.

10 hours ago, Vetseun said:

Morning,

Peace

After I couldn't sleep and started getting expensive ideas in my head I whatsapp a friend and he suggested these?

IMG-20210817-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20210817-WA0013.jpg

$100 + 25% ish + shipping. so assuming DHL express at R450..

Roughly R2500 ish. - Worst case.

Madness for 800g chromo bars imo. Curve Walmers WITH R700 bar tape is less. 

For reference. MY Surly sunrise bars I asked S+J to bring in are listed for $60 retail and I paid about R800 when they got here. Obviosuly they got them at distro prices and threw them in a shipment for with other crap. 

Edited by MORNE

PS im conviced you could get Dave mercer to make you some for less ????

maybe we should crowd fund the idea and ask him

Edited by MORNE