Surly in SA

Vetseun

bike24 uses DHL Packet that gets handed to SAPO as soon as it hits SA. 

same with bike-discount, bike-components.de. they are lekker stores and nice to deal with, but you will either be taking your chances with the post office or using aramex global shopper with those. 

DHL packet is basically german SAPO and they can be just as crap. My cousins dad lives in Hamburg. And especially on exports. I tested this with an order in June to get around geoblocking on one store. Sent a shimano part from Germany to SA via greece using DHL packet and it took 2 weeks to get the package out of germany, crazy considering there is free trade (ie no import tax/duty process) between EU countries. from greece it came with aramex. 

DHL express is a totally different part of DHL. premium service.  they even have their own planes and depots.

your best bet for will probably be in the US like Jenson USA or Amain cycling once the bar hits stores. Surly are american afterall, they both stock surly stuff and both ship to SA using couriers. UPS

(not USPS! this is american SAPO! and they suck donkey balls too.)

if not, Aramex global shopper or a phone a friend scenario.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Y'all for the replies so far. Will try all the options.

Ultimately  perseverance  will pay off.

eBay might be your last resort. If "Customs services and international tracking provided" is an option, you'll get them to you door with minimum fuss. Not always too expensive.

49 minutes ago, cfcjim said:

eBay might be your last resort. If "Customs services and international tracking provided" is an option, you'll get them to you door with minimum fuss. Not always too expensive.

Fast as well from the US in my experience, even while paying the lowest shipping option.  Twice items arrived here in PE three days after purchase and on three occasions the parcel arrived on the fourth day. 

3 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Fast as well from the US in my experience, even while paying the lowest shipping option.  Twice items arrived here in PE three days after purchase and on three occasions the parcel arrived on the fourth day. 

Yep, when I was in CT I ordered 2 x wheel bearings for my Disco 4, they arrived within a week and were cheaper including shipping, than a single unit from the local indy and as far as I know are still running perfectly (installed about a year ago).

That was from the UK though. But same difference,

Edited by cfcjim
Info missing.

2 minutes ago, cfcjim said:

Yep, when I was in CT I ordered 2 x wheel bearings for my Disco 4, they arrived within a week and were cheaper including shipping, than a single unit from the local indy and as far as I know are still running perfectly (installed about a year ago).

That was from the UK though. But same difference,

We not talking about OIL LEAKS NOW????

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2021 at 7:48 AM, Vetseun said:

Thanks Y'all for the replies so far. Will try all the options.

Ultimately  perseverance  will pay off.

@Vetseun If you manage to find a source / method of getting these here, I'm 100% interested in getting a set of these too. My monster gravel bike dreams are much simpler with these, unless I can find some equally rowdy/large gravel bars locally and then just deal with the schlep of brifters.

14 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

@Vetseun If you manage to find a source / method of getting these here, I'm 100% interested in getting a set of these too. My monster gravel bike dreams are much simpler with these, unless I can find some equally rowdy/large gravel bars locally and then just deal with the schlep of brifters.

https://benky-rides.com/products/walmer-bars

I have a pair of these. How big do you want to go lol? They go all the way up to 600/750mm.

yes You'll need brifters though. I have a bar end shifter with mechanical levers on mine.

Edited by MORNE

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to source a Surly Corner Bar? Or for interest sake isnt there someone who could manufacture something similar here in SA?

1 hour ago, Charity85 said:

Has anyone been able to source a Surly Corner Bar? Or for interest sake isnt there someone who could manufacture something similar here in SA?

I've been looking at importing one for my KM.

Edited by Thug

On 11/5/2021 at 7:23 AM, copperhead said:

Juat go dude. Pack your stuff and go. All first bike trips start like that. Mine did. No idea. No plan. No nada. And look now. Still lost, looking for a plan. Just go and enjoy. 

Edited by Charity85

2 hours ago, Thug said:

I've been looking at importing one for my KM.

If you find a viable source please let me know, I rate this bar could be great for endurance riding / bike packing excursions. 

Good day All

I found a local manufacturer willing to make same out of carbon - here is the info if anyone is interested in possibly purchasing same with me:

Cost: R 1 300.00 ex vat / works

MOQ: 20 off (to cover mould cost)

Finish: UD Carbon look sprayed clear coat

Weight (Longest type): ± 400g

Feel free to phone us direct.

Advanced Fibreform