This thread needs some piktchas:

4.jpg.154e8a23e2329a562a7eae025ed24424.jpg

Crosswinds in the Valley of death were fun

1.jpg.8d598f2b9c4b64ccb84d510f77e757cf.jpg

Almost complete, almost.

2.jpg.7ed0bb587eabc1538f50a7063bf3b65b.jpg

Cannot leave this pic out.

3.jpg.a70ce88e8610b831d7e2071a1e1d5af7.jpg

That Robertson headwind was the best part of the day.

We did a short 75km loop and rode into that headwind. Leg busting stuff 

1 hour ago, The Russian said:

As the event organiser you're damned if you and damned if you don't. Also the decision to call it off is a joint one made in conjunction with various stakeholders - ultimately the municipality; provincial govt; event organisers and then the sponsors decide. Its not some kneejerk reaction. Our group decided to ride the entire route in any event. We left around 7:20am. Whilst there had been rain nothing fell in our 6 hours out on the route. We didn't come across that rockfall that was pictured in Tradouw Pass (the waterfalls were spectacular!). The back road had a crappy headwind - that would've been the heaviest weather risk/condition riders would've experienced. So the conditions that we experienced on the course were actually great for riding. We're not critical of the organisers, especially understanding that this was not a cold front but a low pressure system off the interior - which is less predictable than a standard front that sweeps the country. I'm just glad we still rode so that the braai and beers that followed were well-earned. We came across quite a few groups of other cyclists all doing portions of the route...many of them will probably have a similar opinion to ours. I hope this doesn't negatively impact race entry numbers next time there's some bad weather predicted for an event. We have all trained in far worse conditions (I would think)  

I learn something new every day. ????

3 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Big leap there, Bru, unless you are sarcastic.

Yeah sarcasm font not present. We need to be careful with how we categorising risks. Every year we ride tradouws with a damp surface. It’s a known risk on the course. If we consider all risks as grounds for cancellation then we would not have bicycle races. That’s all I intended to convey with my one liner.

that would be the extreme outcome of the current trend toward managing risk through cancellation. Other options need to be considered and planned 

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

We ride every race “at your own risk”…it’s in the indemnity you sign

This argument completely conflates the discussion. 
Actually you don't, the indemnity is required by law to mitigate negligence. Like if you do something stupid, you can't sue the organisers. But the organisers do assume a form of liability as they have committed to ensuring safety of participants and staff. 
So rocking up on the start line with the expectation of having all organisational structures in place, isn't just at your risk, it's at the risk of others as well. 

If people were so adamant at doing the route at their own risk, then why not do so without all the event hoopla? One team did. 

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yeah sarcasm font not present. We need to be careful with how we categorising risks. Every year we ride tradouws with a damp surface. It’s a known risk on the course. If we consider all risks as grounds for cancellation then we would not have bicycle races. That’s all I intended to convey with my one liner.

that would be the extreme outcome of the current trend toward managing risk through cancellation. Other options need to be considered and planned 

organisers will always err on the side of caution. Old Mutual will be loathe to see a headline that reads 'cyclist dies in dangerous conditions during Old Mutual Double Century'

So until I've been in the position to be gambling with the lives of others, I'm going to respect their decision.

How an organiser assesses risk can be murky and frankly, I wouldn't have the stomach for it.

47 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Ek verstaan.
All I know is that no event organiser want to cancel after tons of operational planning and implementation, a full subscription and an opportunity to show off brand  and sponsorship power. 

Edited by 'Dale

4 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

Personally, I would not have started event if I was the organizers. You cannot guarantee the safety of all participants. 

The N2 in the rain and the dark alone would have been where I called it. 

We rolled out and did the whole route at 7;30, 15minutes earlier than our start. When those big trucks pass you and the spray engulfs everyone, its no joke. 

Even if they delayed the start to 7:30, you would have the issue of the last teams being on the route in the late afternoon. 

If they had changed the route that would have probably upset us more, dont want to go trundle 160km in Swellendam, want to go clock up 202km. 

Still had an amazing weekend, did 202km, 5:14 but finished with 9 riders.

Now its the sadness after cycling Xmas...

Cool classic look on that newest edition team jersey. Love it. ????

6 hours ago, DJR said:

And a few years ago day 2 of the W2W got cancelled because of extreme cold, snow (yes, in early November) and rain. The main concern was riders getting hypothermia, that some single track was near impassable to medics on quadbikes and that the rescue helicopters would not be able to fly in the low cloud covering the higher parts of the course.  

That happens when there are too many snowflakes in a race..... bit of a chill did not stop the 2014 To Hell and Back, also in November ????

Snow.jpg

Any event should have a disaster plan - not only for things that might go wrong during the event but also for things that might jeopardise the event itself, like the situation seemed to be at 5am on Saturday morning. The organisers took north of R3m in entry fees - they should not be allowed to get away with simply cancelling the whole event because of a bit of rain and wind. 

Some suggestions:

Plan B - Limit the field to experienced riders, e.g. allow the fastest 50% of the teams ride and cancel for the slower less experienced teams. 

Plan C - Change the route - have a backup route, e.g. the route used for the SA champs earlier this year. Out to Ashton and a few loops through Bonnievale. No passes, less traffic, much safer.

Plan D - Move the event to the Sunday

Have these backup plans in place beforehand, agreed with the authorities. Put it in the T&Cs and let everyone know. Keep everyone in the loop so we know what to expect. With an entry fee of R13000 for a team, this is not too much to ask. 

And please communicate!! Two days later we're still in the dark as to why the event was actually cancelled. Reports are that the route was clear, there was no flooding, the wind was mild. etc. No issues!! So what was it then? Sure, there was a lot of rain early in the morning, but what does it take to just drive the route beforehand and report back to HQ? With another hour delay the roads would even have been mostly dry. It was apparent to anyone watching the sky that things were clearing up. 

Without more info I can only assume lazy organisers who feel they can take the easy option 'cause the event will just sell out again next year anyway. 

Edited by openmind

1 hour ago, TIB said:

That happens when there are too many snowflakes in a race..... bit of a chill did not stop the 2014 To Hell and Back, also in November ????

Snow.jpg

Reminds me of the 2012 IM, Mother Nature can be brutal. Happy I wasn't there ????

Edited by _David_

5 minutes ago, openmind said:

Any event should have a disaster plan - not only for things that might go wrong during the event but also for things that might jeopardise the event itself, like the situation seemed to be at 5am on Saturday morning. The organisers took north of R3m in entry fees - they should not be allowed to get away with simply cancelling the whole event because of a bit of rain and wind. There must be consequences. 

Some suggestions:

Plan B - Limit the field to experienced riders, e.g. allow the fastest 50% of the teams ride and cancel for the slower less experienced teams. 

Plan C - Change the route - have a backup route, e.g. the route used for the SA champs earlier this year. Out to Ashton and a few loops through Bonnievale. No passes, less traffic, much safer.

Plan D - Move the event to the Sunday

Have these backup plans in place beforehand, agreed with the authorities. Put it in the T&Cs and let everyone know. Keep everyone in the loop so we know what to expect. With an entry fee of R13000 for a team, this is not too much to ask. 

And FFS communicate!! Two days later we're all just pissed off and miff with zero clue as to why the event was actually cancelled. Reports are that the route was clear, there was no flooding, the wind was mild. etc. No issues!! So what was it then? Sure, there was a lot of rain early in the morning, but what does it take to just drive the route beforehand and report back to HQ? With another hour delay the roads would even have been mostly dry. It was apparent to anyone watching the sky that things were clearing up. 

Without more info I can only assume lazy risk-averse organisers who feel they can take the easy option 'cause the event will just sell out again next year anyway. 

My 2c 

I originally had a long answer to this but its quite clear you have zero understanding of what goes into organising an event so its a bit of a pointless excercise. I guess people are angry and must the opportunity to vent their frustrations as well.

Will just say this (again, had the same comment on the CTCT), if you genuinely think event organisers will use any excuse they can get to cancel their events and just pocket the money you should not be entering events in the first place.

TBH I dont think you can blame the organizers for canceling the race. Remember the deaths of 21 ultra-marathon runners taking part in the 100km ultramarathon in China when they were hit by high winds and freezing rains. I remember reading those who died had suffered from hypothermia.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/24/china-ultramarathon-inquiry-launched-after-21-runners-die-in-cold-weather

Edited by _David_

Just now, Skubarra said:

I originally had a long answer to this but its quite clear you have zero understanding of what goes into organising an event so its a bit of a pointless excercise. I guess people are angry and must the opportunity to vent their frustrations as well.

Will just say this (again, had the same comment on the CTCT), if you genuinely think event organisers will use any excuse they can get to cancel their events and just pocket the money you should not be entering events in the first place.

No it's not pointless, let's discuss this because it is important. The DC is not some local fun ride, it's one of the best events on the calendar, a monument if you like (our Milan San-Remo?). It's an institution with a lot of history (and the entry fee to match) and the organiser needs to respect that. I do have an idea of what it takes to organise events and I know that sometimes stuff happens and you have to cancel. But a big event like this with a huge budget and a major prestigious sponsor must do better. As I said, the least they can do is communicate. 

4 minutes ago, _David_ said:

TBH I dont think you can blame the organizers for canceling the race. Remember the deaths of 21 ultra-marathon runners taking part in the 100km ultramarathon in China when they were hit by high winds and freezing rains. I remember reading those who died had suffered from hypothermia.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/24/china-ultramarathon-inquiry-launched-after-21-runners-die-in-cold-weather

The conditions in Swellendam on Saturday were nothing like that at all. We had lots of rain, but mild temperatures and not much wind. That is not a fair comparison.