Roof Rack Maximum Weight Limits

Mountain Bru

I have used roof racks and roof top tents extensively on 4wds while travelling around Africa. If you are only exceeding the weight limit while the vehicle is parked, there will be no issue. The thing about roof rack weight limits is less about the structural strength of the roof than how it affects the center of gravity of the car and its handling. The more weight up top, the higher the COG and the more likely a vehicle roll over. It's simple physics. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Is this spoken from experience, or just a feeling?

Amongst the people I know, roof top tents are considered to be the best camping solution. Minimum effort for maximum comfort, regardless of what things look like where you're camping. And the minimum "set down" time afterwards. Never heard a different opinion, so I'm keen to hear about the downsides (apart from it basically just being a flippen expensive tent)

My biggest issue with it is that you are 100% stuck wherever you park your car and set up camp. I'd rather go for a trailer with a rooftop tent than one on my car. 

15 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

My biggest issue with it is that you are 100% stuck wherever you park your car and set up camp. I'd rather go for a trailer with a rooftop tent than one on my car. 

It is true that the car is out of use but with practice a standard RTT can be packed quite quickly between two people. 10 maybe 15 minutes max. I detest towing any trailer that is big enough to accommodate a standard rooftop tent. 

4 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

which is where the clam-shell type RTT is such a winner :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Definitely a "negative" when compared with a trailer or normal tent, but I guess it also depends on the kind of trip you want to do. If you plan on stopping, sleeping, and then moving on the next day, this isn't an issue. Or if you plan on stopping and staying put for a few days, not a problem. Only time it becomes an issue is when you want to camp somewhere for multiple nights and still be able to drive about, like on game drives or something. 
For that kind of trip, a RTT is definitely not gonna be good, but you can also plan around that and stay in a chalet or just take a normal tent with you for those occasions. I'll always try and avoid a trailer if I can for so many reasons - fuel economy, maneuverability, parking at stops, maintenance, harder to fit a bike rack to name a few 

1 hour ago, Trashy said:

I feel like a RTT is a little bit like a Camelback for a car....

If your car doesn't have space to carry everything you need, then it's obviously not very good:ph34r:

or you could be the person that drives a huge car but lives in the city haha? I see it this way....you need the extra space 10% of the time. The other 90% you are being the dambass driving around with 1000L of empty bootspace and or extra 1000kg of car and then complaining about fuel prices, traffic and lack of parking lol.  Horses for courses. 

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, Trashy said:

I feel like a RTT is a little bit like a Camelback for a car....

If your car doesn't have space to carry everything you need, then it's obviously not very good:ph34r:

No no you've got it all wrong... The camelback equivalent is a trailer. It's literally the place where people that didn't buy the right car have to put their stuff because their car doesn't have sufficient storage (just like camelbacks).

A roof top tent on a car is the equivalent of a dropper post... It makes you feel more confident to go places where you wouldn't with a standard post, but is ultimately not really necessary 90% of the time. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

or you could be the person that drives a huge car but lives in the city haha? I see it this way....you need the extra space 10% of the time. The other 90% you are being the dambass driving around with 1000L of empty bootspace and or extra 1000kg of car and then complaining about fuel prices, traffic and lack of parking lol.  Horses for courses. 

Time for a "1 Car to rule them all" thread? 

There's already been some votes for a Caddy Maxi and Suzuki Eritga, but I don't think those qualify as off-road vehicles.

If I had to buy a new car/SUV tomorrow, I have no clue what I'd go with. Fortuner seems like the default option, but has the "1000L of extra boot space and 1000kg of extra car" problem 90% of the time.

6 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Time for a "1 Car to rule them all" thread? 

There's already been some votes for a Caddy Maxi and Suzuki Eritga, but I don't think those qualify as off-road vehicles.

If I had to buy a new car/SUV tomorrow, I have no clue what I'd go with. Fortuner seems like the default option, but has the "1000L of extra boot space and 1000kg of extra car" problem 90% of the time.

Transporter 4-motion, with rear side swing doors ....

If you dont mind a slightly over sized box for 95% of daily use ..... such a small price for the convenience and practicality .... 

Another one completely under the radar .... Kia Grand Sedona ... okay, not for off road use.

Just a pity about the price tags of these ....

My votes go towards the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or VW Transporter 4Motion.

Looked at these two vehicles a few months ago, the price tag unfortunately.

Settled for another secondhand Triton, but alteady thinking how lekka the whole family would have travelled in the Kombi over December.

Unimog, if the Hubbers' practicality levels in what they ride is anything to go by. Actually, sommer get a Defender, a Fortuner and a little Jimny too! So what if the parking is a nightmare at your local Spar? Just do it!????

5 hours ago, DJR said:

Unimog, if the Hubbers' practicality levels in what they ride is anything to go by

Absolutely ????

And then sommer pull a trailer too (based on the average hubbers preferences). 

And then only ride on jeep tracks

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Transporter 4-motion, with rear side swing doors ....

If you dont mind a slightly over sized box for 95% of daily use ..... such a small price for the convenience and practicality .... 

Another one completely under the radar .... Kia Grand Sedona ... okay, not for off road use.

Just a pity about the price tags of these ....

I have one; well not 4-Motion, but LWB, 2nd row seats removable, with Barn Doors, quite literally one of the most practical vehicles I have ever owned.

1 minute ago, Zebra said:

I have one; well not 4-Motion, but LWB, 2nd row seats removable, with Barn Doors, quite literally one of the most practical vehicles I have ever owned.

Maritz's dad is busy kitting out a 4-motion for over landing ....

Fully functional 4-seater for daily use.  Drop the rear seat, fold out the last bit of mattress and the home-on-wheels is sorted.

water, electricity, slide out kitchen..... VERY nice setup !!

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Maritz's dad is busy kitting out a 4-motion for over landing ....

Fully functional 4-seater for daily use.  Drop the rear seat, fold out the last bit of mattress and the home-on-wheels is sorted.

water, electricity, slide out kitchen..... VERY nice setup !!

Pics or it never happened