Garmin Edge 130 Plus for mountain bike navigation

cathmtb

Hi all

Before I purchase I just want to check what anyone's experience has been like trying to follow a mountain bike map on the Garmin Edge 130 Plus. We used one for the mini munga and it was great. Having said that it was mostly gravel roads. I wonder how well this device would do if there was more single track? The next device up is not only way more expensive I wont use most of the features. I just want to go on holiday, download some routes and ride. I don't need all the scientific data even though it is quite cool. 

Thanks in advance

On 8/23/2021 at 7:12 PM, cathmtb said:

Hi all

Before I purchase I just want to check what anyone's experience has been like trying to follow a mountain bike map on the Garmin Edge 130 Plus. We used one for the mini munga and it was great. Having said that it was mostly gravel roads. I wonder how well this device would do if there was more single track? The next device up is not only way more expensive I wont use most of the features. I just want to go on holiday, download some routes and ride. I don't need all the scientific data even though it is quite cool. 

Thanks in advance

Always in cellular range or not? There are plenty of mobile apps that will be able to do this...

If not, it would depend on if the track data is already inside the map. You can download trail map data from places like Trailforks onto the device as a route and then follow that but if there is no pre-existing data it may be a little difficult and you may have to rely on map reading skills and observation. You can also use Garmin Basecamp to plot the trail and then send the file to your device. You can customise Turn-by-turn instructions there as well then run the map from the device. 

On 8/23/2021 at 6:12 PM, cathmtb said:

Hi all

Thanks in advance

It Will Work as long as you can get the Routes

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge130/EN-US/GUID-22D3D4E2-30ED-4D0D-BB20-9697F25FF1DE.html

On 8/23/2021 at 6:12 PM, cathmtb said:

Hi all

Thanks in advance

This was my primary reason for getting a cycling-specific head unit, as having to turn my wrist (735XT) was not always advisable/practical when riding off-road. So I bought a Lezyne as it was about the same price as the 130, but has a lot more features.

Here was my review on that unit.