Bibs

jamesgs

I am a newbie and I have a First Ascent Podium shirt UPF50+(fabric UV Protection Factor) because I have had skin cancer before. I do like the quality.
I now want to get a good cycling short. What is the experience and opinion of hubbers with these two Bibs? The UPF50+ does not have to be taken into account for your opinions of the quality.
FIRST ASCENT Men's Podium Cycling Bib UPF50+ R1700 versus CIOVITA CORSA Mens Bib Shorts 2.0 R1400

Both aren't the best in terms of confort on long rides, but the ciovita is more consistent on the long run. I found the FA shamy tends to move after a few washs, and then they never really feel straight anymore when on the bike, which is a bit annoying.

Edited by Jbr

what JBr said,

Added to that the Ciovita pas feels better over a longer ride too. It holds up better and doesn't sag to the point of feeling the saddle shell through the shorts.

In terms of fit I feel less chaff from the seems on the Ciovita Corsa2.0 than the FA.

at the price point you're shopping also consider the Vye Cycling velo race bib.

if you ever hear of someone you know traveling to europe, you can order a few of those : https://www.bobshop.com/fr/ale/set-2-pieces-blend-4/

they cost a fraction of what you will pay for a decent bib here, and honestly, I run 3 of them along with 2 assos equipe RS9 that I got on special at a ridiculous price compared to what they usually go for, and they match them in quality and confort easily, and they look better, I also like the cut a lot better as they are a bit longer.

Edited by Jbr

47 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Both aren't the best in terms of confort on long rides, but the ciovita is more consistent on the long run. I found the FA shamy tends to move after a few washs, and then they never really feel straight anymore when on the bike, which is a bit annoying.

What on earth is a shamy?

I thought you were French? ????

38 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

what JBr said,

Added to that the Ciovita pas feels better over a longer ride too. It holds up better and doesn't sag to the point of feeling the saddle shell through the shorts.

In terms of fit I feel less chaff from the seems on the Ciovita Corsa2.0 than the FA.

at the price point you're shopping also consider the Vye Cycling velo race bib.

On the vye cycling bib. Which one would you recommend? Velo or corta on their website. Also, is their sizing similar to ciovita?

I have never ridden the FA bibs, so cannot comment on those.

I do however, have several pairs of the Ciovita corsa bibs and never had an issue with them - I find them very comfortable, with a good fit, and they are fairly durable (I have had some pairs for a few years now).

You will be more than happy with Ciovita bibs

Edited by Schnavel

I can also recommend the ciovita corsa bibs. Great value. Great fit, although the corsa 2 fit is more “snug” than the original corsa. My original corsa bibs are now getting tired after 3 years of riding. Many km’s

28 minutes ago, W@nted said:

On the vye cycling bib. Which one would you recommend? Velo or corta on their website. Also, is their sizing similar to ciovita?

Are you male or female? The corta is a ladies bib so I have no experience of fit and comfort being male and identifying as male.

The Mens velo vs the Mens Quad is quite interesting. The Quad in the same size feels a little more snug on the legs on waist due to having more panels. But the Velo is a slightly narrower and longer cut. I prefer the Velo.

23 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Are you male or female? The corta is a ladies bib so I have no experience of fit and comfort being male and identifying as male.

The Mens velo vs the Mens Quad is quite interesting. The Quad in the same size feels a little more snug on the legs on waist due to having more panels. But the Velo is a slightly narrower and longer cut. I prefer the Velo.

????????????

That killed me. 

Whatever you identify as, I recommend getting bibs that match your anatomy. 

2 hours ago, jamesgs said:

FIRST ASCENT Men's Podium Cycling Bib UPF50+ R1700 versus CIOVITA CORSA Mens Bib Shorts 2.0 R1400

Their stock levels are a joke sometimes, but have a look at Castelli or Sportful. 

https://www.castelli.co.za/collections/bottoms-mens
https://www.sportful.co.za/collections/sportful-mens-2021-bottoms

At the price you're looking at, I reckon those are muuuuuch better quality than FA. I have no experience with Ciovita bibs, but I wouldn't bother with FA. They also usually have some sort of 20% off if you spend R2500 deal going on. (If you just want 1 thing, I'm sure someone will team up with you, or send me a DM)

Just be warned, they're a small fit, so order 1 or 2 sizes bigger than what you think. For reference, I'm 1.73m, 67kg. I'd probably take a small (maybe medium if I've had a big meal) in FA. My Castelli bibs are Large and they fit lekker toit. .   

39 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Hahaha, great response. I am male and identify as male????

????Male, last time I checked and identified myself, do Man Boobs cause a problem with Bibs????? The web does show. There is a Corsa Mens bib on the web.????

Thank you so far everyone.  The online mentions of sportsful and castelli look good but Ciovita and Vye are in Cape Town. I will see what the fit is like in person. I do not know what bib fits are like but it seems they are the best way to go????

11 minutes ago, jamesgs said:

Thank you so far everyone.  The online mentions of sportsful and castelli look good but Ciovita and Vye are in Cape Town. I will see what the fit is like in person. I do not know what bib fits are like but it seems they are the best way to go????

That is great that you will be able to fit them????????

Bibs are great, just remember to take your pre ride dump before putting the bibs and shirt on…Otherwise you will have to undress again????