Mini Countryman eBike Rack Advice Required

johanhorak

Hi

I want to be able to carry two ebikes with my Countryman. Should be 40kg total if batteries are removed. 

I occasionally use my Ebikes but want to know I can tag it along if I want to. 

I am aware of these options:

1. Roof rack. Difficult to get ebikes on the roof. Least expensive. I can justify the cost easily but getting the ebikes on roof is another story. 

2. Attach a carrier to the back. Thule has a raised carrier at R10990. 

3. Towbar plus carrier is the ultimate solution. But my little use does not justify the cost. 

What do you suggest? 

Edited by johanhorak
Ebike

First check your ebike .... not all batteries are easily removed.

If you can, remove the battery, pick up the bike holding one fork leg and just above the motor on the frame .... crouch down, pick the bike above your head, stand up .... you will very quickly know if it is possible or not (mayby just practice the method with a lighter bike first)

The Mini is low, so fitting the bike SHOULD be eazy if you can pick it up ..... BUT .... take both your bikes to Thule and let them show you how or if the clamp will work on your frame, with and/or without the battery ....

Towbar mounted platform rack simply is your easiest option.  You dont even have to "pick up the bike" .... lift the front wheel onto the cradle, now roll the bike forward, and just lift the rear to get the rear wheel on.

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

First check your ebike .... not all batteries are easily removed.

If you can, remove the battery, pick up the bike holding one fork leg and just above the motor on the frame .... crouch down, pick the bike above your head, stand up .... you will very quickly know if it is possible or not (mayby just practice the method with a lighter bike first)

The Mini is low, so fitting the bike SHOULD be eazy if you can pick it up ..... BUT .... take both your bikes to Thule and let them show you how or if the clamp will work on your frame, with and/or without the battery ...

Excellent advice. Our batteries remove very easily. 

Practicing is a great way to check. 

I spoke to Thule. They suggested a little stool to stand on next to the car. But as you said the mini is not very high. 

Appreciated. ✌️ 

I quickly checked a few dimensions ....

The "internal claw width" of the Thule roof rack (that part that flips up and clamps onto the downtube of the frame) is about 70mm.

The downtube width of the Giant ebike is about 90mm .... NOPE, cant use this standard roof rack with the TranceE.

My other ebike downtube width is 60mm .... BUT ... I would hate to clamp directly onto the battery.  This frame has a "lip" on one side when the battery is removed ... so also not an option.

I do know the platform rack works very well. :)

6 minutes ago, johanhorak said:

Excellent advice. Our batteries remove very easily. 

Practicing is a great way to check. 

I spoke to Thule. They suggested a little stool to stand on next to the car. But as you said the mini is not very high. 

Appreciated. ✌️ 

I used a two step fold open steel step to fit the bikes on the RAV ... (pre ebike)

The RAV was low enough to remove the bikes without the ladder .... just just too high to fit it without (okay, I am vertically challenged at 1,76)

23 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I quickly checked a few dimensions ....

The "internal claw width" of the Thule roof rack (that part that flips up and clamps onto the downtube of the frame) is about 70mm.

The downtube width of the Giant ebike is about 90mm .... NOPE, cant use this standard roof rack with the TranceE.

My other ebike downtube width is 60mm .... BUT ... I would hate to clamp directly onto the battery.  This frame has a "lip" on one side when the battery is removed ... so also not an option.

I do know the platform rack works very well. :)

Hahaha. Vertically challenged ????

I'll have to check the roof fitting before I purchase. Thanks for making me aware of the height issue. 

1 minute ago, Steady Spin said:

Not the Countryman

This is true... The Countryman is not low and stealthy.

I have been playing this scenario out in my mind too. Gone from a Land Rover Defender, bikes went inside, do a Duster. With roof racks bolted to the roof rails and a free ride on top of that, no way can this hobbit get anything on there without a ladder.

Then it's tow bar racks but the options are too many and my brain goes 'poof' so I just ride from home to Tokai and back or take the roadie for a spin from home these days.

These decisions are nothing to trifle with!!! 

38 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Not the Countryman

Wow .... barely 100mm lower than the RAV 4.

Having fond memories of our 1275E Mini .... a "mini" should not have SUV dimensions ....  (CS font)