Basic bike for a hardworking friend

Stavros94

19 minutes ago, Styvie said:

Hi all sorry for the late response wasn’t on the hub last night had that covid vac and felt abit off ????

@Slowbee & @DIPSLICK I like the sound of the “old hub” I definitely wasn’t around for those days or though I have met some absolute LEGENDS on here who have helped me out like they have known me for years ! 

@Koos Likkewaan a thought I did have of making a bike look less than it is just simply due to how many desperate people there are in his neighbourhood I mean his previous bike I would say was worth maybe 200 rand and it was liberated after a few months. 

id like him to have something that can at least get him to work and back for a good while. 

Right now we have about 1500 bux in the kitty to put towards a ride for him (I know not much but it’s a start ) 

honestly I was thinking a decent 26er that runs well his commute to work does not really involve any big climbs and is relatively flat so even a old drive train would suit as long as it works well. 

I just want to also thank you guys for coming forward and offering help etc without even knowing me or him. 

he’s a good dude young but stuck in the vicious cycle of poverty unfortunately. And I think to have his wheels back would be quite a large victory for him. 

im going to look on FB market place now when I get to work and I’ll post a few links here see what we can do ! 

many blessings to you all! 

SK 

Before you go down the fb marketplace route. Try Bicycle Empowerment Network. They have set up for just this purpose.. getting commuters on bikes that work. Not making a profit, not selling something that doesn't work anymore, but usable bikes. 

You will still have money left over for helmet and lights 

2 hours ago, Styvie said:

Hi all sorry for the late response wasn’t on the hub last night had that covid vac and felt abit off ????

@Slowbee & @DIPSLICK I like the sound of the “old hub” I definitely wasn’t around for those days or though I have met some absolute LEGENDS on here who have helped me out like they have known me for years ! 

@Koos Likkewaan a thought I did have of making a bike look less than it is just simply due to how many desperate people there are in his neighbourhood I mean his previous bike I would say was worth maybe 200 rand and it was liberated after a few months. 

id like him to have something that can at least get him to work and back for a good while. 

Right now we have about 1500 bux in the kitty to put towards a ride for him (I know not much but it’s a start ) 

honestly I was thinking a decent 26er that runs well his commute to work does not really involve any big climbs and is relatively flat so even a old drive train would suit as long as it works well. 

I just want to also thank you guys for coming forward and offering help etc without even knowing me or him. 

he’s a good dude young but stuck in the vicious cycle of poverty unfortunately. And I think to have his wheels back would be quite a large victory for him. 

im going to look on FB market place now when I get to work and I’ll post a few links here see what we can do ! 

many blessings to you all! 

SK 

hit me a PM with banking details  ILL SEND A FEW ZUMAS, in the spirit of the OLD HUB WAYS

Right ! So thanks again for all the input ! 

I have found this trek single track for sale in rose bank cpt and I have been I contact with the seller. 

he wants 500 bux for it. 

He says it needs a new rear wheel breaks a service and a chain. 

I’ll post a pic below seems like decent bike with a little bit of cool factor to it (I know not that important) 

what do you guys think ? Does anyone have some old parts laying around that we can use on this bike ? I’ll also be buying him some safety gear. 

F4392B59-691A-44F9-AB50-6CC889860233.png

Seriously, contact BEN bikes (Bicycle Empowerment network). They have local container based workshops in a few local communities where trained mechanics refurbish and sell the exact kind of commuter bike you're looking for. Bikes are fully serviced and ready to go. Plus you're then stimulating a great business model.

Last year I organised 2 bikes for staff costing around R1200 each, helmet included.

DM me and I'll send you contact details for Meshack who runs the Westlake setup.

(I'd be happy to help but unfortunately am immobile with a fractured elbow after being the victim of a hit & run in Simonstown 2 weekends ago)

21 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

Seriously, contact BEN bikes (Bicycle Empowerment network). They have local container based workshops in a few local communities where trained mechanics refurbish and sell the exact kind of commuter bike you're looking for. Bikes are fully serviced and ready to go. Plus you're then stimulating a great business model.

Last year I organised 2 bikes for staff costing around R1200 each, helmet included.

DM me and I'll send you contact details for Meshack who runs the Westlake setup.

(I'd be happy to help but unfortunately am immobile with a fractured elbow after being the victim of a hit & run in Simonstown 2 weekends ago)

Hey ! I have sent them an email last week but no response yet I will DM yoh now if you can ping me those details I’d appreciate it massively ! And then I’ll call them tomorrow and get this sorted by next week :) 

**** sorry to hear about the hit and run ! Bloody bastards ! Blow my mind how some people think !!!!  Glad you where able to walk away from it ! 

regards 

stavros 

On 8/28/2021 at 10:29 AM, Styvie said:

Right ! So thanks again for all the input ! 

I have found this trek single track for sale in rose bank cpt and I have been I contact with the seller. 

he wants 500 bux for it. 

He says it needs a new rear wheel breaks a service and a chain. 

I’ll post a pic below seems like decent bike with a little bit of cool factor to it (I know not that important) 

what do you guys think ? Does anyone have some old parts laying around that we can use on this bike ? I’ll also be buying him some safety gear. 

F4392B59-691A-44F9-AB50-6CC889860233.png

That seems like a deal,

Contact them and then let me know if it is still up for grabs. I will pay the 500 zar. I will also arrange and pay for shipping but don't have time for servicing etc. and wheel /rim replacement.

I am sure the hub can do the rest. Also rather spend the money you have on a "helmut" and lock etc. to keep things safe.

DM me if you want to move this along.