Is anyone on strava here?

arandre

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm hating about Strava now is that unless the whole world is a subscriber there's no point really to "virtually compete" on segments with your mates, as they have no way of comparing the segment unless they also subscribe. I get their idea of moving some data behind the paywall, but they've gone and moved almost everything behind the paywall, and reduced the product to a empty shell of what it once was. That prompted me to forego renewal of my subscription last year and now I have recently been recording less and less on the app.

My polar also decided to start going wonky and that combined with how pathetically uninteresting I'm finding Strava lately has led to me not even bothering to repair / replace the watch. 

I'm starting to lean towards riding for the pure enjoyment of it, and am not fazed about the stats anymore. If I go for a ride and my phone is willing to cooperate and record, cool. If not, which happens often enough, then no loss.

9 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm starting to lean towards riding for the pure enjoyment of it, and am not fazed about the stats anymore. 

I'm constantly hearing more and more  people say this and i think it's a really good thing for the sport 

22 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Are these people going on a multi-day hiking expedition? Why does everyone have a rucksack on?

its for all the energy bars on the 30km ride... haha

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

What I'm hating about Strava now is that unless the whole world is a subscriber there's no point really to "virtually compete" on segments with your mates, as they have no way of comparing the segment unless they also subscribe. I get their idea of moving some data behind the paywall, but they've gone and moved almost everything behind the paywall, and reduced the product to a empty shell of what it once was. That prompted me to forego renewal of my subscription last year and now I have recently been recording less and less on the app.

My polar also decided to start going wonky and that combined with how pathetically uninteresting I'm finding Strava lately has led to me not even bothering to repair / replace the watch. 

I'm starting to lean towards riding for the pure enjoyment of it, and am not fazed about the stats anymore. If I go for a ride and my phone is willing to cooperate and record, cool. If not, which happens often enough, then no loss.

I thought racing each other (mates) to the t-junction/top of the hill was always better. 

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

What I'm hating about Strava now is that unless the whole world is a subscriber there's no point really to "virtually compete" on segments with your mates, as they have no way of comparing the segment unless they also subscribe

I don't understand. I have a strava membership though, so I have no idea what it looks like without a membership. 

There's a few things I love about strava :

- The "my results" view on a segment to see how you're improving or where your fitness is.

- A record of all my activities that isn't tied to a watch platform like garmin or suunto or whatever. This might be really useful one day in the future

- Being able to link it with hubtiger and know when to service my bike/fork/drivetrain for different bikes without thinking at all. 

1 hour ago, vanniri said:

It would be interesting to hear how many people on this thread are aware what the acronym JOMO stands for? 

One can be in the middle too... Like be on strava but be private.

The problem with things like this is that it pushes the extreme ends without taking into account the middle ground. It's also OK not to care.

So while there is a 'Joy' of missing out and a 'Fear' of missing out, loads and loads of people take no joy in missing out nor do they care if they do miss out.... Proverbially speaking.

I think it's more healthy to be in the middle. The far ends of any spectrum are pretty weird places to be.

Strava Live Segments is the best feature for me...For most of my upcoming rides I select the segments that I want to focus on (then load them onto my GPS device). So even if I'm not specifically chasing segments I get told (Live) how far behind my best time I am riding at, for those selected segments.

Just keeps me focussed on riding strong and keeping my fitness up...(for an old Bloke!)

8 hours ago, RobbyB said:

Getting back to STRAVA... I've been enjoying the Maps feature that is available on my cell (Strava Premium feature maybe?).

It highlights (nearly) all the on Strava segments near you - or further if you scroll the map.  Great if you want to ride local and go smash a couple of segments...

So how many segments have you smashed and how often do you go and do this ???  How many KOM's are yours ???

????

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

One can be in the middle too... Like be on strava but be private.

The problem with things like this is that it pushes the extreme ends without taking into account the middle ground. It's also OK not to care.

So while there is a 'Joy' of missing out and a 'Fear' of missing out, loads and loads of people take no joy in missing out nor do they care if they do miss out.... Proverbially speaking.

I think it's more healthy to be in the middle. The far ends of any spectrum are pretty weird places to be.

Is that a polarised approached to Strava... ????

Just worked out how to quote on someone else's post!

Edited by RobbyB
My mistake!

1 hour ago, porqui said:

So how many segments have you smashed and how often do you go and do this ???  How many KOM's are yours ???

????

Have 38...6 new since 30 July.

I like the feature on my garmin where I'm battling up suikerbossie and 50m after the new robot it raises an eyebrow and taunts me with the PR finished message. I conjour up Sean Kelly's voice to help me reframe "jeez you're slow" to "Yes well... I must have had the good legs that day" 

Interesting thread. After years on Strava, most of us on our MTB group rarely use it anymore - or if used, then mostly as an afterthought. Nobody subscribes and everyone records their rides on Garmin Connect.

Personally, I changed my settings to Private default as in lockdown I sometimes go for a quick ride during the day, but don’t necessarily want my colleagues to see. Also don’t like the fact that you can’t unfriend/block people following you.

Strava has become mostly meh. For me at least.

So to the OP’s question...yes and no ????

Edited by SiriS