Is anyone on strava here?

arandre

55 minutes ago, SiriS said:

Interesting thread. After years on Strava, most of us on our MTB group rarely use it anymore - or if used, then mostly as an afterthought. Nobody subscribes and everyone records their rides on Garmin Connect.

Personally, I changed my settings to Private default as in lockdown I sometimes go for a quick ride during the day, but don’t necessarily want my colleagues to see. Also don’t like the fact that you can’t unfriend/block people following you.

Strava has become mostly meh. For me at least.

So to the OP’s question...yes and no ????

Click on a followers acticity

Click on their profile pic

Click on the 3.dots top right .... one of these allows you to unfollow, another to block ....

When I started out it was super handy to record activities from different devices onto a single platform .... Garmin Connect now does all of that for me. Strava is now only used with a very select group of followers

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

I don't understand. I have a strava membership though, so I have no idea what it looks like without a membership. 

There's a few things I love about strava :

- The "my results" view on a segment to see how you're improving or where your fitness is.

- A record of all my activities that isn't tied to a watch platform like garmin or suunto or whatever. This might be really useful one day in the future

- Being able to link it with hubtiger and know when to service my bike/fork/drivetrain for different bikes without thinking at all. 

I monitor results using Elevate and some other website I can't even recall offhand. Yes it ties to strava but since my polar is iffy I'm unfazed. Also only been riding techy trails this year and nothing longer than 35km since March. 

But segments are not viewable by non-subscribers. Opening a segment leaderboard and you're met by a message to subscribe. So - that fyn brag about your latest PR falls flat before you even start it.

The only social aspect for non subbies are kudos - and honestly who cares?

40 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I monitor results using Elevate and some other website I can't even recall offhand. Yes it ties to strava but since my polar is iffy I'm unfazed. Also only been riding techy trails this year and nothing longer than 35km since March. 

But segments are not viewable by non-subscribers. Opening a segment leaderboard and you're met by a message to subscribe. So - that fyn brag about your latest PR falls flat before you even start it.

The top 10 leaderboard is vieweable for non-subscribers, as are segments. You just can’t see how you stack up against everyone else.

45 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

100% agree. Once my membership ends, I doubt if I'll renew it, and without the ability to see the leaderboards, especially your own efforts, I don't think I see much value in strava. 

I assume you also can't see your power curve or fitness and freshness curves?

Intervals.icu does that for free though, and is probably a better training tool than strava though. 

On 8/28/2021 at 1:35 PM, Mountain Bru said:

100% agree. Once my membership ends, I doubt if I'll renew it, and without the ability to see the leaderboards, especially your own efforts, I don't think I see much value in strava. 

I assume you also can't see your power curve or fitness and freshness curves?

Intervals.icu does that for free though, and is probably a better training tool than strava though. 

Intervals.icu is the other more effective tool I was using when I still cared about stats. I may again in future but now not so much.

And no, Strava hides all fitness stats behind the paywall, so fitness scores only matter to subscribers.

Strava is and has always been a social media platform for athletes. Honestly, it has not been 'the best tool' ever but it did link everyone and everything around common interests and activities.

Lets be honest. It's facebook for amateur sportsers

18 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Strava is and has always been a social media platform for athletes. Honestly, it has not been 'the best tool' ever but it did link everyone and everything around common interests and activities.

Lets be honest. It's facebook for amateur sportsers

This.

Strava was never a training tool.
Social media for active people.  

If you are serious about fitness and training and stats, you do TP or GC.

Lately there were a couple of fun "events" hosted by PEMBI on Strava.

Prizes were given sometimes on luck and sometimes on fitness (being the fastest on the segment).  This drew a couple of participants to get out there and ride their bikes with prizes bigger than most big name races in the country.  

Sponsors got some publicity an riders had some fun.

Not a bad platform to do this on.

18 hours ago, Mamil said:

The route planner on the PC is a good feature. Very useful

If you have a Garmin, the Garmin route planner is definitely a better choice cos it makes it so much easier to sync stuff to your device. No idea how this works on other devices

8 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

This.

Strava was never a training tool.
Social media for active people.  

If you are serious about fitness and training and stats, you do TP or GC.

There's a lot more training tools out there now. Today's Plan and its licensed clones (Stages-Link) are really good with plans also bundled into the subscription. The analytics are also superb.

In TP you have to buy individual plans If I recall (its been 4 years since I used traningpeaks).

18 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

If you have a Garmin, the Garmin route planner is definitely a better choice cos it makes it so much easier to sync stuff to your device. No idea how this works on other devices

Strava syncs all starred routes instantly to my Edge 830. Route planning capabilities are far superior to Garmin's I feel and clearly a development priority for Strava - intuitive, only occasional glitches, popularity routing or by surface type works well although occasionally routes through private land which is a no no.

23 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

for navigating the GC app is a much better tool for me but Strava seems easier to use. My Headunit also does some route planning within its blikbrein

I Use Strava mostly to follow pals abroad. It' also ideal for tracking your DC team mates progress....

Edited by DieselnDust

4 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Strava syncs all starred routes instantly to my Edge 830. Route planning capabilities are far superior to Garmin's I feel and clearly a development priority for Strava - intuitive, only occasional glitches, popularity routing or by surface type works well although occasionally routes through private land which is a no no.

Thanks. I'll check this out. I assumed you'd have to do some exporting and importing to get it to work. 

2 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Thanks. I'll check this out. I assumed you'd have to do some exporting and importing to get it to work. 

and a Premium account