Is anyone on strava here?

arandre

32 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Strava syncs all starred routes instantly to my Edge 830. Route planning capabilities are far superior to Garmin's I feel and clearly a development priority for Strava - intuitive, only occasional glitches, popularity routing or by surface type works well although occasionally routes through private land which is a no no.

7 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Thanks. I'll check this out. I assumed you'd have to do some exporting and importing to get it to work. 

You don't need to be a Strava premium subscriber to make them a favourite.
On my head unit, I can view them or sync to my device unless a subscriber. So whatever was synced, automatically picks up.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/27/2021 at 3:38 PM, Jewbacca said:

The Humble Brag!!

hahahaha

I got a strava message the other day that I lost a KOM…. First time ever , never even knew I had, now I’m 3 on it…. Going to have to figure out where it is and try claim it back ????

28 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

maybe you okes can post a tutorial here.

I'm clearly not extracting the benefit of free Strava to my Garmin

I don't have a Garmin capable of viewing live Strava segments, but I do have a Lezyne that does it.

When I did have a Premium account, I would download favourite segments that are part of my outdoor route (when I do HIIT outdoors). Then it would pop up within 75m of the start, and I could pace the efforts according to the time behind/ahead of my PR, not the KOM time. Makes doing the effort a little easier (for me). Some of my favourite segments vary depending on the duration of the intervals, eg. 2-4 minutes vs 20-30 minute ones (two different target power zones.

A002B195-1165-4FFE-AB9C-95187B0073A3.jpeg.53780ccf25855d38b040503849c0efba.jpeg

Edited by Frosty

On 8/27/2021 at 3:50 PM, ouzo said:

I got into it as a central place to store all my ride history, and since just about everything from training apps to maintenance apps plug into strava it makes sense to keep it going.

My coach uses a different platform to look at what I'm doing.

4 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

by all means use what you must or like, I personally never used to use Strava, always used Cyclemeter, had registered for Strava but never bothered with it.

I was looking for a central place that had both PC and phone based access to my data with the ability to play around with how I viewed the stats, some recommended I use Strava. So I painstakingly exported all my activities, one at a time, and imported into Strava.

Then via Bikehub found out about all sorts of interesting plugins like Statshunter, veloviewer, BikeProGarage, Elevate, Intervals.icu etc. and now I've got everything synching to one central point of entry. I think I still have Training Peaks pulling data from Strava.

44 minutes ago, ouzo said:

by all means use what you must or like, I personally never used to use Strava, always used Cyclemeter, had registered for Strava but never bothered with it.

I was looking for a central place that had both PC and phone based access to my data with the ability to play around with how I viewed the stats, some recommended I use Strava. So I painstakingly exported all my activities, one at a time, and imported into Strava.

Then via Bikehub found out about all sorts of interesting plugins like Statshunter, veloviewer, BikeProGarage, Elevate, Intervals.icu etc. and now I've got everything synching to one central point of entry. I think I still have Training Peaks pulling data from Strava.

That's great to hear, can you please share how you did that?

P.S. strava won't run on my huawei phone because it needs google to run. I'm going to have to export somehow and import into strava on pc

Edited by arandre

11 minutes ago, arandre said:

That's great to hear, can you please share how you did that?

P.S. strava won't run on my huawei phone because it needs google to run. I'm going to have to export somehow and import into strava on pc

its been a few years, but if I recall I went into each activity in cyclemeter, exported as gpx, then imported that gpx into strava. I seem to recall getting the files from phone to pc and then using strava on pc to import because the phone app did not allow it.

I had 10 years worth of activities, it took a while.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

You don't need to be a Strava premium subscriber to make them a favourite.
On my head unit, I can view them or sync to my device unless a subscriber. So whatever was synced, automatically picks up.

Ja that is the case. Route creation though is limited in the free version. I think you can create routes from rides (yours and other people's) but sitting down and plotting out a huge gravel route to Moreesberg and back via Darling and Philadelphia and checking out key junctions on Google earth when one ought to be doing month end admin requires a sub.

6 minutes ago, ouzo said:

its been a few years, but if I recall I went into each activity in cyclemeter, exported as gpx, then imported that gpx into strava. I seem to recall getting the files from phone to pc and then using strava on pc to import because the phone app did not allow it.

I had 10 years worth of activities, it took a while.

Thanks, you said that you have everything synced in one place? Are you talking about Strava or somehow syncing all the apps together?

6 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Ja that is the case. Route creation though is limited in the free version. I think you can create routes from rides (yours and other people's) but sitting down and plotting out a huge gravel route to Moreesberg and back via Darling and Philadelphia and checking out key junctions on Google earth when one ought to be doing month end admin requires a sub.

that's what i'm doing at the moment, it takes a little extra time and the times of the ride don't come out perfectly but it's a great place to map out your ride.

Edited by arandre

1 minute ago, arandre said:

Thanks, you said that you have everything synced in one place? Are you talking about Strava or somehow syncing all the apps together?

that's what i'm doing at the moment, it takes a little extra time and the times of the ride don't come out perfectly but it's a great place to map out your ride.

all those "apps" pull their data from strava

1 hour ago, TNT1 said:

Aaaahhhhh ...

Whole different debate .... "the serious athletes" using a free app rather than a coach.....

The one Ironman lady that I follow on Strava is obviously a "serious athlete".  Other than monitoring her "pace\speed" and/or heart rate, as per her coaches instructions she hardly looks at her data - she leaves that to her coach.

After my vaccination I monitored my heart rate .... a few weeks later I monitored her pace and heart rate in the week after her vaccination.  When I spoke to her about her super consistent data she just laughed, she did monitor that her heart rate did not go higher than normal, other than that she just got on with the exercise.

I dont know what platform her coach uses.  But Strava litterally is just a social media platform for her supporters.

4 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

This.

Strava was never a training tool.
Social media for active people.  

If you are serious about fitness and training and stats, you do TP or GC.

Thanks for the info , what is TP and GC?

7 minutes ago, arandre said:

Thanks for the info , what is TP and GC?

TP= Training Peaks.  Paid desktop software 
GC= Golden Cheetah.  Desktop software.

Personally I use GC.  Works very well for what I want to know about my rides.
And it's seemingly smooth operation.  Walk into the house.  Garmin auto uploads via Wifi to Garmin and to Strava.  From there when I op GC, it auto downloads my ride.

5 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

TP= Training Peaks.  Paid desktop software 
GC= Golden Cheetah.  Desktop software.

Personally I use GC.  Works very well for what I want to know about my rides.
And it's seemingly smooth operation.  Walk into the house.  Garmin auto uploads via Wifi to Garmin and to Strava.  From there when I op GC, it auto downloads my ride.

thank you , i will definitely have a look.