Is anyone on strava here?

arandre

35 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

I clearly remember riding with a friend many years ago when he asked me : are you using Strava ? Replying that I was unaware of what it was his response was: you have not lived ????

En het jy toe die sportman se "social media" probeer ....

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably going to be stoned for this, but I think Garmin and Suuntos native apps are probably better than strava for analytics purposes. 

Strava is really just social media for cyclists/runners/triathletes, and it's good in that sense.

If your main focus is data analysis you probably already have better tools in the app linked to your device and you don't have to pay extra for it (on strava most detailed features are behind a paywall). 

If bragging rights matter, than the KOM and local legend features on strava are cool. 

The heatmap/route planning between Strava and the native Garmin/Suunto apps is much of a muchness, and other apps like Komoot and a few others are actually better for that.

I will keep strava linked, mostly because it'd the easiest way to sync my rides to hubtiger and stay up to date with my drive train maintenance. But when my next annual renewal comes up, I'm not gonna bother with the premium package anymore. But I don't really use the social media features on strava. My account is set to private and I am super selective of the friends I allow as followers. So I don't benefit from the social features, nor do I care to. 

• 8 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 5:21 PM, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

I'm probably going to be stoned for this, but I think Garmin and Suuntos native apps are probably better than strava for analytics purposes. 

Strava is really just social media for cyclists/runners/triathletes, and it's good in that sense.

If your main focus is data analysis you probably already have better tools in the app linked to your device and you don't have to pay extra for it (on strava most detailed features are behind a paywall). 

If bragging rights matter, than the KOM and local legend features on strava are cool. 

The heatmap/route planning between Strava and the native Garmin/Suunto apps is much of a muchness, and other apps like Komoot and a few others are actually better for that.

I will keep strava linked, mostly because it'd the easiest way to sync my rides to hubtiger and stay up to date with my drive train maintenance. But when my next annual renewal comes up, I'm not gonna bother with the premium package anymore. But I don't really use the social media features on strava. My account is set to private and I am super selective of the friends I allow as followers. So I don't benefit from the social features, nor do I care to. 

I'm with you on this. Strava for the social aspect, but I picked up so many fringe-followers and 'self promoters' (like BookFace) that I've reverted Strava privacy setting to "only me", and use Garmin Connect for analysis.

Bragging rights, whether performance (KOM) of volume (Legends) are completely irrelevant, and regularly doling out kudos became more of a chore than actual acknowledgement of great accomplishments.

1 hour ago, Agteros said:

I'm with you on this. Strava for the social aspect, but I picked up so many fringe-followers and 'self promoters' (like BookFace) that I've reverted Strava privacy setting to "only me", and use Garmin Connect for analysis.

Bragging rights, whether performance (KOM) of volume (Legends) are completely irrelevant, and regularly doling out kudos became more of a chore than actual acknowledgement of great accomplishments.

Garmin Connect also has segments and the ability to follow others, obvs for Garmin users only.

Strava intersects segments, across hardware - this single facet grew its user base, not the training metrics or useless routing feature.

20 hours ago, Agteros said:

It would be great if you could turn off the kudos function totally. Kudos are to easily dished out and end up being a pain in the ass.  If you want to congratulate or say something use the comments function, otherwise keep quite 👍

22 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

It would be great if you could turn off the kudos function totally. Kudos are to easily dished out and end up being a pain in the ass.  If you want to congratulate or say something use the comments function, otherwise keep quite 👍

You could just turn kudo notifications off...

I only use Strava to log my mileage on the bike. I used to care about the social side of the app but since they moved all the fun behind their paywall I've lost interest. The only benefit it still has is for me to link it to ProBikeGarage where I have all my components linked based on date and usage. This enables me to know the age and service intervals of all the parts on the bike.

For the rest I find Strava pretty useless.

Go private, turn notifications off and only follow people who you know/like/do rad stuff?

Stop dishing out kudos too. It's easy to just have it as an auto upload passive app

22 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Go private, turn notifications off and only follow people who you know/like/do rad stuff?

Stop dishing out kudos too. It's easy to just have it as an auto upload passive app

but that will literally be the opposite of what social media is used for by many...

PS: my strava is also in solitary confinement mode. it's the only way.

PS ADMIN:   will all italic and pseudo 'comic sans' comments be deleted from now on? real question.

25 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I only use Strava to log my mileage on the bike. I used to care about the social side of the app but since they moved all the fun behind their paywall I've lost interest. The only benefit it still has is for me to link it to ProBikeGarage where I have all my components linked based on date and usage. This enables me to know the age and service intervals of all the parts on the bike.

For the rest I find Strava pretty useless.

Also initially re-joined to keep a log of my activities. Also using ProBikeGarage to keep track of maintenance on components etc. I do occasionally enjoy the social aspect, although I dont follow many people. Occasionally get annoyed with kudos from random people, but not enough to go full private yet.

I do like that so many 3'rd party apps link to it. So as a central db to store activities its great.

I'm not particularly fond of the Garmin Connect interface, so default to checking Strava and 3'rd party apps for my stats.

I sometimes have a Laugh when someone records like a 1 minute session and many kudos get dished out, someone showed me a feature where you shake you phone and you can give kudos to everyone that did the group-ride with you, even people that you don't follow, now that is giving random kudos.

This is what I mean by half a kudos.
People that ride with two devices, and it shows they rode with themselves... they only get 1/2 🤪🤣

image.png.09e6a9f46da91276a076f253ef0eb9c9.png

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

This is what I mean by half a kudos.
People that ride with two devices, and it shows they rode with themselves... they only get 1/2 🤪🤣

image.png.09e6a9f46da91276a076f253ef0eb9c9.png

is that why I sometimes see people rode with themselves. Makes sense now.

I dont give any kudos to those

I like to give kudos to activities where I know it wasnt easy. i.e. the weather was crap or the "athlete" is dealing with an injury or the like.

At the end of the day, it's your choice who to give kudos to, and when, or if any.

Mine is based on acknowledging someone for getting off the couch and doing something. If I'm curious about their ride, route or anything else, I'll engage with them... all 125 that I follow.