MTB in CT: Transport from JHB vs bike hire?

I-W

Good morning everyone.  My first post here.

I am planning a 3 to 4 day trip to go visit a friend who lives in CT early to mid November (dates tbc).  The plan is to go riding a trail or two each day.  He has his own bike and a vehicle with bike carrier, etc.

So now the question is what's the best option for me?  I live in JHB and have a lovely bike which I could potentially transport there (schlep, stress, etc) or I could try to rent a MTB in CT somewhere.

Please share some of your thoughts on the matter?  Are there reasonable bikes to rent, which have been maintained well?  Cost is obviously always a factor, but I am willing to pay good money for a good bike to rent.

What I would typically want: MTB Dual suspension, Large frame, 29" or Mullet wheelset.  We will ride trails so something suitable which can be pedaled uphill and still be fun on the downside.

Thanks very much!

Ian.

You're looking for chicken's teeth to rent there... 

Get a box from your LBS, watch vid's on youtube how to pack a MTB into a box, and away you go. Takes all of 10min and its done. 

Flying with the box is a painless excercise (well, on safair it was easy)

Do you just want to ride trails with your mate? Then rent.

Do you want to enjoy the trails you're riding with your mate? Bring your own.

Definitely take your own.  It's almost no hassle and then you have your own bike which you're familiar with.