Solar panels

Jaco Greeff

15 minutes ago, Jaco Greeff said:

for cycling ?

do you have a pic where they are mounted on you bicycle ?

Planning a gravel trip and would also luv to see this...judging by the one's on my roof, I think I'm gonna need a bigger bike!!!????

I would look for one of those battery banks with the solar panels already mounted. That way you can have the battery bank charge throughout the day in the sun and then plug your phone in at night when it needs to charge.

Make sure the powerbank is rated way larger than that of the phone you want to charge in terms of mAh...

4 minutes ago, 117 said:

Ag man Greg, just get yourself a dynamo for those cloudy and rainy days

image.png.d40478ffd35c564fabb88b5c784bd0c2.png

anybody still use these ?

58 minutes ago, Jaco Greeff said:

for cycling ?

do you have a pic where they are mounted on you bicycle ?

Ah. NOW you contextualize your question. Yes for cycling. But no, they are not mounted on my bicycle!! They are mounted on the house roof, from where they charge everything in the house, including cycling accessories and backup battery packs etc. ???? Okay, I'll stop now. ????

4 hours ago, 117 said:

Ag man Greg, just get yourself a dynamo for those cloudy and rainy days

image.png.d40478ffd35c564fabb88b5c784bd0c2.png

Does anyone know if these push out enough power to charge a portable battery power bank...my Sony 9500mAh needs 5V

31 minutes ago, capediver said:

Does anyone know if these push out enough power to charge a portable battery power bank...my Sony 9500mAh needs 5V

Would love to know ..... top up the Garmin on long rides ....

20 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Would love to know ..... top up the Garmin on long rides ....

PedalCell have a unit that looks like the real deal, apparently puts out between 15 and 20W, comes with neat looking hub with 2 USB ports, a bit pricey though...there's link to handy s/sheet that helps predict charging capacity......mmmm...maybe, maybe

https://pedalcell.com/products/pedalcell

Those old school units hoof out around 2 to 3w at 6v (if you're lucky). I recon by the time you finish the Freedom Challenge at record speed you might just be able to fully charge that external powerbank. 

Maybe there is a business opportunity on the horizon: Helmet with built in solar panels????

Edited by FondTF2