Short Warranty Periods

Furbz

15 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

For every Garmin that Fails out of Warranty there are a Million Running Perfectly.

They Don't Like the Battery to run Dead Flat.

They Don't Like Water Too Much.

Then there are quite a few extremely unlucky hubbers or we badly abuse their Garmins if you go by the regularity this type of thread pops up nowadays.

My first Garmin was bullet proof (Edge 500) but I'm very skeptical about the quality of the current generation of Garmin units.

58 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Then there are quite a few extremely unlucky hubbers or we badly abuse their Garmins if you go by the regularity this type of thread pops up nowadays.

My first Garmin was bullet proof (Edge 500) but I'm very skeptical about the quality of the current generation of Garmin units.

I have  Edge 705 thats been running perfectly since 2008...

as I said I bought a 1000 in 2015 and have had a warranty replacement every year with only one pay in since then.

Failures have ranged from the unit just freezing, bricking itself, blue screens, completely garbled screens, broken tabs (unit just ejected on the single track, 

The warranty replacement service has been trouble free so far but reliability does concern me as well. Also lately it doesn't shut down properly and runs the battery down overnight

Edited by DieselnDust

so how many people would look at alternatives if they had a 2 year warranty period?

from what i can see both Wahoo and Garmin only offer a 1 year warranty

if lets say Wahoo decided to give a 2 year warranty, would you move away from Garmin? 

the only downside i can see is its not recognised by Discovery?

22 minutes ago, Furbz said:

so how many people would look at alternatives if they had a 2 year warranty period?

if lets say Wahoo decided to give a 2 year warranty, would you move away from Garmin? 

white MOPOPOLY CAPITAL ways,,,,,,,dips runs

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

I think I will take a fitness monitor to get my Discovery points and opt for a different brand of bike computer in future.

Problem is I'm not sure the other products a quantifiably better. I'm looking around and observing. At this point the best available alternative with decent local backup is the Stages range of bike computers and Leyzyne. Polar is also supported by discovery but  not sure their units are any more reliable than Garmin

What concerns me is just how inconvenient a failure can be. My 945 failed a few months in and they replaced it.

It failed during lockdown and the way life happened off late I can hardly call myself an triathlete and use the watch to look active so no big deal. But if somebody was lining up for their swim at an IM and their watch was dead it would be rather inconvenient. It's expensive and should be super reliable for it's target use. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well... just got a quote from Garmin for a replacement of my 530 at no extra charge, despite it being 1,5 year old. I did write in the note I added with the unit that I first reported one of the two issues back in september last year but never sent it in until now (with the ticket reference). I'm very impressed. Would be great if the products were as great as their customers support !

Now when I receive it I can fully update it before spending hours resetting my data screens. I hope this new one doesn't turn off and doesn't refuse to turn back on everytime I hit a pothole or crash on my MTB and that the GPS routes will also finally work again ???? 

Edited by Jbr